Author Topic: Extend Ruiz  (Read 2901 times)

Offline SkinsNatFan21RIP

Re: Extend Ruiz
« Reply #25: July 30, 2022, 09:02:35 PM »
Might as well trade him now.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #26: July 30, 2022, 09:07:16 PM »
Among qualified hitters, Ruiz has the 6th lowest K%.
I really believe he still may develop serious doubles power with double digit homers. Add that to good defense and we have a really good long term starter.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #27: July 30, 2022, 09:31:01 PM »
Might as well trade him now.
Yep, Boras client

Offline GataNats

« Reply #28: July 31, 2022, 11:02:17 PM »
Guy has zero power.   I’m not worried about him

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: August 01, 2022, 10:13:50 AM »
Guy has zero power.   I’m not worried about him
he had a big power year in AAA last year, but yes, he really hasn't shown anything yet in the majors.  I can live with it.  Low K rate, low walk rate. He pulls a lot, hits liners but not flies (35% FB rate), which is what he did in AA and his first exposure to AAA.  Last year in AAA, his fly rate was 50%, so it's possible the power will come.  Not much soft contact (<20%), so I assume it is most a matter of loft.  I'm very optimistic about him overall, especially if they go to robo balls and strikes.  Framing is his only defensive weakness.

Offline Section214

« Reply #30: August 01, 2022, 10:17:50 AM »
It's hard to explain his lack of power. I feel like he hits the ball hard a lot and runs into some bad luck, but is it bad luck when it's for months?

I am a huge fan of his and think he is the biggest cornerstone we have right now in the rebuild, aside from Soto of course

Offline Slateman

« Reply #31: August 01, 2022, 11:30:56 AM »
It was a handful of games once you throw out the PCL stats
 Small sample size.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #32: August 10, 2022, 06:15:30 AM »
A couple days of some asking, “Is Ruiz not good?” and he strikes with a brilliant game offensively and defensively in a rare win :az:

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #33: August 10, 2022, 07:10:23 AM »
A couple days of some asking, “Is Ruiz not good?” and he strikes with a brilliant game offensively and defensively in a rare win :az:
Reverse jinx.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #34: August 10, 2022, 08:30:46 AM »
for a guy in his first full season, I have no complaints. He's a stud.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #35: August 10, 2022, 08:37:14 AM »
Ruiz's power is interesting. He was always one of the best contact bats in the minors. I believe he was always supposed to develop into a bat with more power but it took until last year for that power to be realized in the minors. More power from the left side, also.

I'm okay with how he's doing in general, it will be interesting to see how/if his power develops.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: August 10, 2022, 08:48:34 AM »
Ruiz's power is interesting. He was always one of the best contact bats in the minors. I believe he was always supposed to develop into a bat with more power but it took until last year for that power to be realized in the minors. More power from the left side, also.

I'm okay with how he's doing in general, it will be interesting to see how/if his power develops.
his batted ball stats are weird.  He's traded flies for liners this year (2021 - 43.0%/15.2%, 2022 - 35.6%/23.1%), but he's not getting rewarded on his batting average: 2021 - .273, 2022 - .247.  Groundballs, pops, and Ks are more or less a wash.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/keibert-ruiz/19610/stats?position=C

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #37: August 10, 2022, 11:03:16 AM »
Yeah, it's worth a deep dive article. Not sure if there have been any.

There was something months ago about how his insane contact might be costing him better pitches later in the bat, which was an interesting angle.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: August 10, 2022, 11:22:18 AM »
Yeah, it's worth a deep dive article. Not sure if there have been any.

There was something months ago about how his insane contact might be costing him better pitches later in the bat, which was an interesting angle.
along those lines, there isn't much soft contact, but there's a lot of medium and not that much hard.  That's consistent with the observation that he may be getting himself out on the first thing he can get to rather than waiting for a pitch to drive.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #39: August 10, 2022, 11:34:34 AM »

On the Nats Chat podcast, they discussed him being overly focused on contact and needing to know if it's inside, pull it over the wall.

I believe in the guy. He had power surges in the minors and should end up up with at least 8 or 9 homers this season. Contact is there. I'm far less hopeful than I was a year ago that someday he'd make the Nationals consider giving him off days at DH, but I'm still confident he'll turn into a plus catcher offensively and defensively.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #40: August 10, 2022, 12:20:09 PM »
The more I think about this, I think it's pretty normal to revert to a safer or more natural swing when facing more difficult pitching. Hopefully the Nats can work with him and continue to refine the approach.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #41: September 09, 2022, 08:25:24 PM »
With his season probably over, I want to say I’m all in on Ruiz. Extend him for an affordable amount!

Offline imref

« Reply #42: September 09, 2022, 09:56:44 PM »
With his season probably over, I want to say I’m all in on Ruiz. Extend him for an affordable amount!

He’s a boras client.

Offline imref

« Reply #43: September 10, 2022, 04:25:33 PM »
No physical activity for three weeks. Season over

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44: September 10, 2022, 05:30:28 PM »
No physical activity for three weeks. Season over
had they 60 day il'd him, they would not have needed to release McGee when they added Pineda. I guess they really wanted to cut McGee.

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #45: September 10, 2022, 08:51:09 PM »
McGee sucks hard and bad.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46: September 10, 2022, 09:02:08 PM »
McGee sucks hard and bad.
past tense. He's dead to us.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #47: September 18, 2022, 12:44:46 PM »
I still agree with my original post about this being the extension window.

However, watching Pineda and Adams catch gives me pause. They are excellent behind the plate. Pineda might be thr best defensive catcher of the four we have at high level (including Ruiz in that).

He's a Boras client. At some point, an extension is not an option. If Pineda can hit at MLB-catcher level, I'm wondering of trading Ruiz for a ransom might be the better option . . .

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #48: September 18, 2022, 01:48:10 PM »
Soberly, I’m not high on extending him just because catchers pop and break down so fast. But I don’t want to trade him. Even if we only have him through arbitration, five more years of Ruiz is really valuable.

Riley Adams didn’t have year we expected. He profiles as a backup C until he proves otherwise. Pineda is too new to make an opinion.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #49: September 18, 2022, 01:53:37 PM »
Soberly, I’m not high on extending him just because catchers pop and break down so fast. But I don’t want to trade him. Even if we only have him through arbitration, five more years of Ruiz is really valuable.

Riley Adams didn’t have year we expected. He profiles as a backup C until he proves otherwise. Pineda is too new to make an opinion.
Adams is just as good as Ruiz behind the plate