Author Topic: Extend Ruiz  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Extend Ruiz
« Topic Start: June 02, 2022, 09:11:58 AM »
Time to extend him is now, while he's still looking at multiple years making the minimum.

After this season, he still has two more seasons before he hits arbitration. He is slated to become a free agent at age 29, which is a bit long in the tooth for an every day catcher. Now is the time to work out a deal where we buy out a coupme yeara of free agency, give him a nice chunk of change up front, and lock up a franchise catcher.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Extend Ruiz
« Reply #1: June 02, 2022, 09:19:14 AM »
Time to extend him is now, while he's still looking at multiple years making the minimum.

After this season, he still has two more seasons before he hits arbitration. He is slated to become a free agent at age 29, which is a bit long in the tooth for an every day catcher. Now is the time to work out a deal where we buy out a coupme yeara of free agency, give him a nice chunk of change up front, and lock up a franchise catcher.
I'd try to buy out 2 years and get an option.  That takes him out to 31 or 32.  I honestly think some power will be coming, but even if the power doesn't come, he is always going to be a tough out.  With power, he's a DH on the days he doesn't catch.  The D looks adequate, too.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #2: June 02, 2022, 11:31:57 AM »

I like Ruiz's potential, but I think it is too early to know what his value is. I need to see a little power this year before committing to a long term deal. If we can even get a couple weeks of a surge, you're right, sign him up long term.

They keep passing on early extensions and it keeps biting them in the ass. The only guy they ever extended early was Zimmerman and all I can think is that experience spooked them.

I still love what the Pirates did with Ke'Bryan Hayes. He had a down sophomore season and they sophomore decided he was their guy and they believed in him, so they extended him.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #3: June 02, 2022, 11:37:10 AM »
I like Ruiz's potential, but I think it is too early to know what his value is. I need to see a little power this year before committing to a long term deal. If we can even get a couple weeks of a surge, you're right, sign him up long term.

This is exactly the reason you lock him up now. You wait another year and his agent will be pushing hard for free agency.

I dont need to see more power. Im not expecting it. He's already improved behind the plate and he is a 100 wRC+ at the plate. You dont wait for him to show it. By then its too late.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4: June 02, 2022, 12:37:09 PM »
A 100 wRC+ guy who can catch adequately is a tremendous asset.  By some advanced measures, he's middle of the pack defensively. One of his weaknesses is framing, but if they go to automated balls and strikes, that's not even an issue. I honestly don't know why people are holding back on recognizing how good he is.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #5: June 02, 2022, 12:51:02 PM »
A 100 wRC+ guy who can catch adequately is a tremendous asset.  By some advanced measures, he's middle of the pack defensively. One of his weaknesses is framing, but if they go to automated balls and strikes, that's not even an issue. I honestly don't know why people are holding back on recognizing how good he is.

Plus he’s a switch hitter and hardly strikes out. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #6: June 02, 2022, 12:51:51 PM »
If there’s an automated strike zone, then could the catcher go play the outfield when there’s no runners on base?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #7: June 02, 2022, 12:57:02 PM »
If there’s an automated strike zone, then could the catcher go play the outfield when there’s no runners on base?
Baseball would never allow that, cus it would destroy pace of play. Also, Ruiz would be a disaster in the outfield

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #8: June 02, 2022, 01:12:37 PM »
Oh, yeah. If they can lock up Ruiz now, they should absolutely do it.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #9: June 02, 2022, 01:55:54 PM »
Baseball would never allow that, cus it would destroy pace of play. Also, Ruiz would be a disaster in the outfield

If they allowed, it'd make strikeouts a LOT more interesting. Dropped 3rd K on every batter? Yeah...

'Today's starter went 2 and 2/3 innings, allowing no hits, 1 walk, and 47 strikeouts. He left the game after giving up only 41 runs.'

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 2023
« Reply #10: June 02, 2022, 03:07:23 PM »

that would be awesome the first time someone tried it.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #11: June 02, 2022, 03:58:42 PM »
that would be awesome the first time someone tried it.

Rays or As

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #12: June 02, 2022, 04:18:50 PM »

Isn’t there that whole thing about runners allowed to try to advance to first on the third strike?

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #13: June 02, 2022, 05:00:16 PM »
Isn’t there that whole thing about runners allowed to try to advance to first on the third strike?

I imagine they'd put someone back there with 2 strikes. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: June 05, 2022, 05:13:18 PM »
Best catching combo the Nats have had. Ramos was a better bat, but Ruiz and Adams both field a lot better, Ruiz makes contact, and Adams has pop

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #15: June 05, 2022, 08:33:28 PM »
That game ending back pick should make Sportscenter's dumb plays of the day reel for both Senzel and Ruiz. Dangerous play by Ruiz. 2 outs, let your pitcher finish it....if that throw gets past Bell, the ball ends up in the RF corner and at the very least, the game is then tied. Great play, but not smart. As for Senzel, his ass gets the chewing out of a lifetime when he gets back to the dugout. That kind of thing just can't happen..

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: June 05, 2022, 08:50:11 PM »
Fwiw, post-game it sounded like it was a play they were prepped to run before the game. Bell mentioned it was something they scouted. I didn't hear whether Davey said it was a bench call on the play, but I don't think a rookie calls a pitch off the plate and a pick off on his own. But yes, a pretty high risk play. I wasn't impressed with Cishek today.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #17: June 05, 2022, 09:09:26 PM »
Fwiw, post-game it sounded like it was a play they were prepped to run before the game. Bell mentioned it was something they scouted. I didn't hear whether Davey said it was a bench call on the play, but I don't think a rookie calls a pitch off the plate and a pick off on his own. But yes, a pretty high risk play. I wasn't impressed with Cishek today.

I heard the interview with Bell too. I don't have access to the post-game except on the mlb website and I haven't looked at it yet to see if Davey called it. Either way, and even with Cishek being underwhelming,  it's a low percentage move that can end in disaster. That said, you gotta love the outcome and Senzel is probably getting roasted right now on every Reds board in existence

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #18: June 05, 2022, 09:41:36 PM »
wasnt it Clint Robinson that have that happen to him vs the cubs a while back?

Offline welch

• 2019: Won the fight
« Reply #19: June 05, 2022, 10:34:12 PM »
Extend Ruiz. Strength up the middle.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #20: June 11, 2022, 11:39:46 AM »
I’m sold :whip:

#1 or #2 in NL in like every category even before last night

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #21: July 30, 2022, 07:29:26 PM »
Per Zuckerman, “When you combine caught-stealings and pickoffs, Keibert Ruiz leads all MLB catchers with 19 runners thrown out.”

But Jim Bowden says trade him.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #22: July 30, 2022, 08:24:05 PM »
Bowden is an idiot. I about threw my phone out the window when I saw that.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #23: July 30, 2022, 08:27:15 PM »
Bowden is an idiot. I about threw my phone out the window when I saw that.
Just think about how lucky we were to get rid of that guy.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24: July 30, 2022, 08:45:26 PM »
Among qualified hitters, Ruiz has the 6th lowest K%.