Author Topic: Luis Garcia Aspirations / Trepidations Thread  (Read 6408 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
House is at least a couple years away if everything goes right. And I expect a guy his size to be in a corner spot by the time he reaches DC. Some Michael Morse vibes.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Small sample size but glimmers of hope that the bat has made its way from AAA to MLB

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Too bad his fielding is stuck in Little League

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Ran deep to LF today to grab a pop fly at the line. He might improve. (And he's hitting about .310)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Ran deep to LF today to grab a pop fly at the line. He might improve. (And he's hitting about .310)
he's athletic, but he seems to have hands of stone and shows his lack of playing time at short. The latter maybe can be cured, but the drops on throws and ground balls I think is more concerning

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
he's athletic, but he seems to have hands of stone and shows his lack of playing time at short. The latter maybe can be cured, but the drops on throws and ground balls I think is more concerning

parallels to Desmond are striking

Offline Mattionals

parallels to Desmond are striking

If he is the next Desmond, sign me up for five decent seasons.

Offline Duke of Earl

It is appalling that the front office considers him to be the shortstop of the future.

The only rational explanation why he is  now playing shortstop regularly: he needs to be in the lineup (because of his offense), there is nobody else on the roster who can play shortstop, there is no other position available, and the long term plan (i.e. after this season) is to hide him at some other position.

I hope that's the long term plan, anyway.  But in the meantime, I'd play him occasionally in left field and at first base, when those guys need a rest, just to see if he is a long term solution for either of those two positions.

Offline Section214

It is appalling that the front office considers him to be the shortstop of the future.

The only rational explanation why he is  now playing shortstop regularly: he needs to be in the lineup (because of his offense), there is nobody else on the roster who can play shortstop, there is no other position available, and the long term plan (i.e. after this season) is to hide him at some other position.

I hope that's the long term plan, anyway.  But in the meantime, I'd play him occasionally in left field and at first base, when those guys need a rest, just to see if he is a long term solution for either of those two positions.

You would play a 22 year old who has showed a very impressive bat "occasionally" in two positions that he has never played before when the likes of Yadiel Hernandez needs rest? Great way to rebuild a franchise.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
It's really just a question of experience and hands with him.  He's not an immobile lug.  Experience only comes with playing. As for hands, you can hope. 

Offline Slateman

Eh, at this point, he's not going to improve tremendously on the defensive side. At best, he's a second baseman. Probably a LFer.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Second baseman. Nats have no one in the minors who can play infield, at least no one above Low A. Easy to move Garcia to second. And to hope for SS and 3B.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Sign Xander or Trea, move Garcia to 2B, and worry about House when he's ready.  Xander played some 3rd.  Or sign Trea and move him to CF when House is ready.

Offline Slateman

Lol, they're not gonna spend money this offseason. Y'all are freaking MDS chicken

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Lol, they're not gonna spend money this offseason. Y'all are freaking MDS chicken
I didn't say it could happen, but if we're talking moving Garcia off SS, it's going to need a SS to do it

Offline Slateman

I didn't say it could happen, but if we're talking moving Garcia off SS, it's going to need a SS to do it
Im sure Alcides will be available

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Sign Xander or Trea, move Garcia to 2B, and worry about House when he's ready.  Xander played some 3rd.  Or sign Trea and move him to CF when House is ready.

YESSSSS

Offline aspenbubba

House will never play SS in the majors. He will be our 3B.

Offline Duke of Earl

You would play a 22 year old who has showed a very impressive bat "occasionally" in two positions that he has never played before
For al intents, he's never played shortstop before.   Find a position he can play. There isn't any known position he can play so start out with positions where he can do the least damage.  First base or left field.  Makes sense to me.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
For al intents, he's never played shortstop before.   Find a position he can play. There isn't any known position he can play so start out with positions where he can do the least damage.  First base or left field.  Makes sense to me.

Uh, he's been playing SS and 2B since starting his pro career in 2017.

Offline Duke of Earl

Uh, he's been playing SS and 2B since starting his pro career in 2017.
So what.  He can't play shortstop, I don't care how long he's been playing shortstop, he can't play shortstop.  I haven't seen him at second.  If he can play second adequately why hasn't he been playing there any?

Offline Slateman

So what.  He can't play shortstop, I don't care how long he's been playing shortstop, he can't play shortstop.  I haven't seen him at second.  If he can play second adequately why hasn't he been playing there any?
Cus he came up as a shortstop and that has more defensive value. Its worth trying to see if he can fix his defensive issue.

Honestly, he wasnt very good at second either. He's Daniel Murphy. If we had 2015 Murphy today, he'd be a DH.

Online Natsinpwc

He played 2B last year. Where ya been.

Offline Slateman

He played 2B last year. Where ya been.
Still blackout drunk from 2019

Offline Duke of Earl

Still blackout drunk from 2019
Reasonably accurate.  I do recall him at second last year but not much. Very little in fact, not enough to form a judgement of whether he can play it adequately.

But my question was more along the lines of why isn't he playing there this season.  I do like Hernandez, but he really isn't in our long term plans, is he?