Author Topic: Luis Garcia Aspirations / Trepidations Thread  (Read 5988 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
He looks okay in the field. I don’t think SS is he long term home but he looks okay.

Offline Mattionals

He looks okay in the field. I don’t think SS is he long term home but he looks okay.

Might as well leave him there and have him learn the defense at the MLB level. It's not like anybody is pushing him off the spot now.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
He does not look okay in the field.

Offline Natsinpwc

Desmond had 34 errors his rookie year.  No reason to not give him the chance rest of this year.

Offline rileyn

Keep running him out there.  Leave him alone.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Keep running him out there.  Leave him alone.
that's going to happen. But, he's going to need to get down to an error a week instead of 3 or 4 to be tolerable at the position for more than one season

Offline Natsinpwc

that's going to happen. But, he's going to need to get down to an error a week instead of 3 or 4 to be tolerable at the position for more than one season
Does House project as a SS defensively?  If so Garcia could go to 2B. Of course we still need a 3B then.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
House is 2 years away at best

Offline Natsinpwc

House is 2 years away at best
Yea I guess they have to figure where the stopgap guys will fit? 

Offline Natsinpwc

Kieboom will be back in 2023 so he can play SS.  :couch:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Kieboom will be back in 2023 so he can play SS.  :couch:
God. Kieboom at third and Garcia at SS. Might be the worst defense in baseball next season

Offline Duke of Earl

Desmond had 34 errors his rookie year.
Big difference.  Desmond wasn't much of a shortstop but he at least had mastered the mechanics of the position.  Garcia hasn't even done that.  And Desmond had a shortstop arm. Garcia has a leftfielder's arm.

When I see a shortstop fielding a ground ball backhand -- a ball hit straight at him and below the knees -- all I can say is, he shouldn't be playing shortstop.  When I was coaching youth, when a kid did that, I would work with him to break the habit.  When a guy gets to the majors, he should have long ago been broken of that habit.   

Garcia is a potent batter. Find him a position where he can do the least damage.  Left field.   Not shortstop.

Offline UMDNats

Good thing Rizzo went all-in on his boy Alcides for 2 months.

Offline Natsinpwc

Good thing Rizzo went all-in on his boy Alcides for 2 months.
Everyone here thought Rizzo struck gold with him last year. Which is why it’s dangerous to get enamored with Franco this year.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Everyone here thought Rizzo struck gold with him last year. Which is why it’s dangerous to get enamored with Franco this year.

Why would anyone get enamored with Franco this year?  He's a warm body but not much more.  He's weak defensively and doesn't hit enough to make up for that.  He's better than an actual AAA player there, but not substantially so.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
The Escobar deal was a smart one and the price low enough that we aren’t hurt for having brought him back. If Adrianza wasn’t hurt, you’d have seen Escobar sent to bench sooner. Franco should absolutely be brought back at a low priced deal, same as Escobar was, with expectation he is a a backup option.

Offline Natsinpwc

Why would anyone get enamored with Franco this year?  He's a warm body but not much more.  He's weak defensively and doesn't hit enough to make up for that.  He's better than an actual AAA player there, but not substantially so.
That’s what I think but have seen others say extend him. If so he will come back 20 pounds heavier.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
My expectations are pretty low for this losing season.

Question is if it's August and the errors are still piling up. If the bat falls off, probably time to count him as a backup. But if he s hitting and errors are still piling up, should the Nats try to give him some burn at 2B or 3B? I expect Hernandez to be gone. And Bell and/or Cruz will be gone, meaning Franco will be filling in at 1B some if he isn't traded himself. Do the Nationals try Garcia at those spots or so we give him the full season at SS?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
That’s what I think but have seen others say extend him. If so he will come back 20 pounds heavier.
I'm on the "Extend Franco" camp at like $3 million tops to be a backup corner infielder. Cesar Hernandez was $4 million, and Franco isn't worth that. That isn't a stress on the payroll.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
the type of money Franco, Escobar, Adrianza, and even Cesar get really should not impact or block playing time for anyone coming up through the system.  The Nats have a bigger problem filling 8 positions and DH than they do blocking hot prospects.  There's no one anyone thinks is a corner stone position prospect in AAA or AA.  You can prove me wrong, but all the corner stone infield and outfield talent started in A ball this year. Millas, Cluff and Casey do not count. Garcia is it, and he's up. Where does Garcia play among SS, 3rd, and 2nd?  He stays at SS until there is a better position for him, either due to bringing in a stud or him being just so bad that it is destructive of him as well as the team.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
the type of money Franco, Escobar, Adrianza, and even Cesar get really should not impact or block playing time for anyone coming up through the system.  The Nats have a bigger problem filling 8 positions and DH than they do blocking hot prospects.  There's no one anyone thinks is a corner stone position prospect in AAA or AA.  You can prove me wrong, but all the corner stone infield and outfield talent started in A ball this year. Millas, Cluff and Casey do not count. Garcia is it, and he's up. Where does Garcia play among SS, 3rd, and 2nd?  He stays at SS until there is a better position for him, either due to bringing in a stud or him being just so bad that it is destructive of him as well as the team.
Depressing and factual.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Depressing and factual.
the way we can tell you are not gen x or a boomer is you would have said "sad but true" and posted a YouTube of Metallica there

Offline NatsAllThe Way

Lol

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
352/.368/.519 So far. Davey reiterated that Garcia is the SS going forward

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
352/.368/.519 So far. Davey reiterated that Garcia is the SS going forward
basically, unless somebody does a dramatic turn-around or they bring in a free agent / trade, the position is Garcia's until House is ready.  There's almost no sign of life for any of the minor league middle infielders.  I'm excluding Sammy Infante because he's probably a 3rd baseman, he's the same level as House, and he has not shown contact skills.