Author Topic: pitch clock  (Read 342 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
pitch clock
« Topic Start: May 25, 2022, 11:21:35 AM »
Last night in Fredricksburg was my first time attending a game with a pitch clock. The impact on the game was noticeable. The pace of play seemed a lot quicker.  I did notice that when Strasburg pitched, the clock was not in use, I guess because he's a major league player.

This notes that the pitch clock is shaving about 20 minutes off a typical game:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33767554/pitch-clock-shaving-20-minutes-minor-league-games-scoring-nearly-same

I hope they bring it to the majors, especially for playoff games.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: pitch clock
« Reply #1: May 25, 2022, 11:35:17 AM »
Last night in Fredricksburg was my first time attending a game with a pitch clock. The impact on the game was noticeable. The pace of play seemed a lot quicker.  I did notice that when Strasburg pitched, the clock was not in use, I guess because he's a major league player.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33767554/pitch-clock-shaving-20-minutes-minor-league-games-scoring-nearly-same

or any game that goes beyond 10 PM EDT

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: May 25, 2022, 11:45:49 AM »
It's the best. It's the thing most people didn't realize they want.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: May 25, 2022, 11:54:29 AM »
Saw a college game like ten years ago with the pitch clock. An obvious fix. Just need to enforce it.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #4: May 25, 2022, 12:46:13 PM »
It's fantastic.  I'd give just about anything to get the human rain delay relievers to hurry up.  This does it.

In other news, if I had the choice of punching Vladimir Putin or Cory Gearrin, I might choose Gearrin.  Putin has never wasted my time and caused me to watch the infield grass grow.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #5: June 01, 2022, 10:58:26 AM »

That would be awesome in majors. Twenty minutes is a small save that helps keeps casual fans more interested late and makes it easier to catch mass transit home.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #6: June 01, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »
That would be awesome in majors. Twenty minutes is a small save that helps keeps casual fans more interested late and makes it easier to catch mass transit home.

Don't forget that it's also 20 minutes saved during gameplay, rather than during commercial breaks. You'll still have the million and one commercial breaks, but the period where the game is actually being played will be faster, and therefore hold interest from casual fans a LOT better.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #7: June 01, 2022, 12:53:20 PM »
It's the best. It's the thing most people didn't realize they want.

This take nails it

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #8: June 01, 2022, 02:50:14 PM »
This take nails it

Yep.  I went to a minor league game last week that featured 12 runs, 12 walks, a spectacular manager meltdown with a 10-minute ejection rant, and 3 mid-inning pitching changes.

2 hours, 58 minutes, by far the longest game I've been to this year.  Blink of an eye in MLB terms.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #9: June 03, 2022, 12:02:47 PM »
I was watching the Dodgers/Mets game last night and a reliever came in for the Mets. As soon as he got the ball back he was ready to go. The Dodger announcers said we'll see more of that as pitchers come up from the minors. They said in the minors it cut 28 minutes from games.

The one thing I noticed usually the announcers talk about different things in between pitches but with this guy on the mound there was less chit chat about other things.