Author Topic: Bad Managing By O's Tonight  (Read 173 times)

Offline Senatorswin

Bad Managing By O's Tonight
« Topic Start: May 20, 2022, 10:47:41 PM »
I'm watching the O's vs Rays game. Score is tied 5-5 in the bottom of the 10th. O's have 2nd and 3rd no outs. If the guy on 3rd scores O's win. Guy on 2nd means nothing. Rays have the infield up. O's batter hits a ground ball not hit hard to the left side of the infield where both the 3rd baseman and 2nd baseman are. The ball is between them but the 2nd baseman fields it off balance. The guy on 3rd is not running on contact. The second baseman throws the batter out. There is no way the fielder could of thrown out the runner at home if he's running on contact. The next batter hits a hard grounder to short where the guy on third is running on contact and he gets thrown out at home. Next batter flies out.

The O's announcers don't mention it but that's totally bad big league managing to not have the runner on third running on contact with no out. Say he is running on contact and gets thrown out. You still have the same situation. Winning run on 3rd with one out. There was no downside to the runner not running on contact with no out. Surprising at that level with multiple coaches in the dugout they blew it.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Re: Bad Managing By O's Tonight
« Reply #1: June 01, 2022, 10:59:50 AM »
Base running and defense around the majors is horrendous.

I get teams have lowered the importance of defense and baserunning for many analytical reasons, but you can't tell me there wouldn't be a competitive advantage at some club from focusing on good defense and baserunning.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Bad Managing By O's Tonight
« Reply #2: June 01, 2022, 12:43:51 PM »
Base running and defense around the majors is horrendous.

I get teams have lowered the importance of defense and baserunning for many analytical reasons, but you can't tell me there wouldn't be a competitive advantage at some club from focusing on good defense and baserunning.

It's so bad. I watched some college ball this weekend and learned more in one inning than I have watching MLB all season. Three true outcomes and analytics has really ruined the product.