Author Topic: Enough Escobar  (Read 605 times)

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Enough Escobar
« Topic Start: May 05, 2022, 10:08:34 AM »
His present .194 batting average is the most impressive of his offensive stats and he is a defensive liability at an important position.  Last night he went 0-3 with 3Ks and made two errors.  He's 35.  He's not a major league player.  Not surprisingly, last year was his first MLB time since 2018.  It should have been his last.

If you're not ready to bring up Garcia - who is hitting in AAA - and don't want to give Fox more run, just bring up Adrian Sanchez for a couple months as a thank-you for riding the AAA shuttle for about 53 years.  He won't hit either but he can at least play SS. 

Either way, enough Alcides Escobar.  Pablo Escobar at least gave the world a feral hippo problem.  This dude just throws away routine 6-3s.

Offline Section214

Re: Enough Escobar
« Reply #1: May 05, 2022, 10:35:26 AM »
His present .194 batting average is the most impressive of his offensive stats and he is a defensive liability at an important position.  Last night he went 0-3 with 3Ks and made two errors.  He's 35.  He's not a major league player.  Not surprisingly, last year was his first MLB time since 2018.  It should have been his last.

If you're not ready to bring up Garcia - who is hitting in AAA - and don't want to give Fox more run, just bring up Adrian Sanchez for a couple months as a thank-you for riding the AAA shuttle for about 53 years.  He won't hit either but he can at least play SS. 

Either way, enough Alcides Escobar.  Pablo Escobar at least gave the world a feral hippo problem.  This dude just throws away routine 6-3s.

Well said. I understand the whole "let Garcia develop in AAA" thing, I don't agree with it, but I understand it. There has to be another option out there.

Maybe there is someone else who has been playing in Korea for the last few years we can give a shot like we did with Escobar? Can Dee Gordon play SS? Is Freddie Galvis still ticking? Is Wilmer Difo around? Do you think Steve Lombardozzi can handle SS? Does Danny Espinosa have any more options available? What's Ian Desmond up to? Is Alberto Gonzalez available? Anything, please.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: May 05, 2022, 10:50:56 AM »

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #3: May 05, 2022, 11:12:44 AM »
I'm all for bringing up Adrian Sanchez and dumping Escobar. He isn't going to bring in anything at the deadline, but maybe Sanchez could.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #4: May 05, 2022, 11:49:43 AM »
Bring up Adrian Sanchez.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #5: May 05, 2022, 12:01:51 PM »
I like Alcides Escobar. He was a pleasant spark in a rough season last year. He was a good bet to bring back at $1 million. It's been a disaster. Cut bait. If they're not ready for Garcia and not impressed by Fox, let Adrian Sanchez go there.

At some point, they have to call Luis Garcia up. But in meantime I'd be happy giving Fox a couple weeks to see how his glove is and if the bat is good enough to stick around as a utility backup.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: May 05, 2022, 12:39:16 PM »
I too think it was a reasonable call to bring him back for $1 million this year.  He didn't look like toast last year. But, cheap over-the-hill vets are pump and dump types you trade at the deadline if they are really, really, good, and dispose of if they are not when it is convenient.  I kind of like Luscious because he has a bit of speed and we can afford to give him a 2 week run or so, but Sanchez is perfectly fine, too, until we need the spot on the 40 man. Alcides is not even playing at replacement level.  You could pick up any of the guys Section 214 listed and he'd do just as well.  There ought to be a guy who can be called up and play for MLB minimum who is more effective than Alcides (and likely Fox).

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #7: May 05, 2022, 03:44:21 PM »
Bump because he just failed once again to put a ball in play with a runner on third and less than one out. Bad at defense, bad at offense, and yet he's our everyday SS because Mike seriously felt Alcides could be our starting everyday SS in 2022.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #8: May 05, 2022, 03:53:36 PM »
Bump because he just failed once again to put a ball in play with a runner on third and less than one out. Bad at defense, bad at offense, and yet he's our everyday SS because Mike seriously felt Alcides could be our starting everyday SS in 2022.

Let's be honest, if Alcides Escobar played like he did last season, he would have been a great asset to have at the deadline this year. Rizzo gambled on last year, and even at 50% of last year, he would have gotten some org depth filler possible flier at this year's deadline. Alas, Escobar turned into a rotten pumpkin and is completely useless now, so the gamble completely backfired.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #9: May 05, 2022, 04:03:37 PM »

Let's be honest, if Alcides Escobar played like he did last season, he would have been a great asset to have at the deadline this year. Rizzo gambled on last year, and even at 50% of last year, he would have gotten some org depth filler possible flier at this year's deadline. Alas, Escobar turned into a rotten pumpkin and is completely useless now, so the gamble completely backfired.

There was never really a big problem with bringing Escobar back as a depth option, but here we are.

Bringing him back as our starting SS was, amazingly, Rizzo's plan all along, as it is pretty clear we never even pursued another shortstop. The so-called scouting WIZARD believed Escobar could be very good despite no evidence to that.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: May 05, 2022, 04:25:24 PM »
There was never really a big problem with bringing Escobar back as a depth option, but here we are.

Bringing him back as our starting SS was, amazingly, Rizzo's plan all along, as it is pretty clear we never even pursued another shortstop. The so-called scouting WIZARD believed Escobar could be very good despite no evidence to that.
well, the idea was he could hold the fort until Garcia or possibly Cluff or someone we get in trade could step in.  He's not even doing that. 

Offline Section214

« Reply #11: May 05, 2022, 11:29:23 PM »
well, the idea was he could hold the fort until Garcia or possibly Cluff or someone we get in trade could step in.  He's not even doing that. 

I don't even have a huge gripe if the Nationals thought Escobar could hold down the fort until Garcia was ready, but that is clearly not happening. He is an embarrassment and it needs to be addressed.

If it was me, I would call up Garcia tomorrow and make him our SS the rest of the way enduring the highs and lows. A more conservative approach is starting Fox, calling up Sanchez to be a MI UTIL guy and giving Garcia a few more weeks in AAA. Throwing Escobar out there is plan Z.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #12: May 07, 2022, 01:27:11 PM »
he is a defensive liability at an important position. 

Important position?  Quite an understatement.  I want a shortstop who plays flawless defense.  It's much more important to me than offense.  I think shortstop is the most important position on the field (besides pitcher, obviously).

I can't remember so someone remind me: is Sanchez good defensively?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: May 07, 2022, 01:48:55 PM »
I kind of like what the NYY are doing.  IKF  is superb defensively. That position and catcher they view offense as almost irrelevant. 

We've been lucky to get offense out of SS, with Trea and for a few years Desi.  Maybe House can stick there.  For the current team, just a glove would limit the embarrassment.

Offline Section214

« Reply #14: May 07, 2022, 07:43:32 PM »
I kind of like what the NYY are doing.  IKF  is superb defensively. That position and catcher they view offense as almost irrelevant. 

We've been lucky to get offense out of SS, with Trea and for a few years Desi.  Maybe House can stick there.  For the current team, just a glove would limit the embarrassment.

I would take a Victor Robles level defender at SS even if he had Victor Robles level offensive production. I love silky smooth SS.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #15: May 11, 2022, 07:04:43 PM »
Say what you want about Escobar but in just the last 2 weeks I've seen him make two plays in particular that were off the charts amazing. One was the relay from center field that he took  while on the run about 40 feet behind second and then 
wheeled 180 to gun a guy out at the plate. (vs. Mets ?)
The other was this past weekend when he laid out for a ball and then backhand flipped it to C. Hernandez for a force out while still lying on his belly.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #16: May 12, 2022, 09:41:53 AM »
Supposedly has a minor injury on his left hand, which is why DSG the last couple of games.

Not sure 3 errors in his last 5 games is going to cause them to rush him, either.