Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: TJ White, 1B/ LF  (Read 1327 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Follow the Prospects: TJ White, 1B/ LF
« Topic Start: April 30, 2022, 11:59:51 AM »
Treylen John (T.J.) White
6'2", 210 lbs.
Born 7/23/03 in Spartanburg, SC.
Played at Dorman High School in Roebuck, SC.
Switch hitter/ Throws right.
5th round, 2021 draft - signed for $400,000, (bought him out a commitment to Indiana)
Current Assignment - Fredericksburg (2.8 years younger than league average)
https://twitter.com/tj_white2021

FG page - https://www.fangraphs.com/players/treylen-white/sa3017697/stats?position=OF
They have him as a 40 prospect, with future value of 55 game power, 60 raw power, 50 speed and field, 40 hit tool.  They have him 19th in the Nats system.

To my knowledge, no connection to Spartanburg's most beloved product, the Marshall Tucker Band.

Perfect game profile: https://www.perfectgame.org/players/playerprofile.aspx?ID=482608
Treylen "TJ" White is a 2021 OF/1B with a 6-2 210 lb. frame from Moore, SC who attends Dorman. Explosive looking frame with a strong base and wide shoulders. A primary outfielder, works the feet quickly through his approach. Has some explosive actions that should develop with maturity. The arm strength will play with a simplified crow hop as well. A switch hitter, showed huge left handed power with easy loft and a strong and accurate barrel. Right-handed is more flat and line drive oriented. Both sides are started by a balanced base and little movement to create good torque. Outstanding student.
  They rated him a 9.5 on a 10 point scale.

BA had a nice piece on him this year.  To give you a different perspective:
White was originally a righthanded batter until, at age 6, he wanted to emulate then-Braves outfielder Jason Heyward and try batting lefthanded, too. He stuck with switch-hitting for about four years and then went back to it as a teenager. Eventually, he developed into a power threat from both sides.

In his Rookie-level stint last summer, White hit .283/.356/.547. He showed 65-grade power, good baserunning skills and an average arm. He fit in nicely in a lineup that included fellow prep picks Brady House and Daylen Lile.

Between his work in the FCL, instructional league, minor league minicamp and minor league spring training, White has made progress in the field as well. He played both corner outfield spots this spring.

“He’s showing better outfield play and really improving all around,” Watson said.

First base could be another option for White in the future, but for now he’s a corner outfielder with a middle-of-the-order bat.
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/nationals-tj-white-shows-off-prodigious-power/

Had a nice debut at the Florida complex league last year - 59 PAs, .283/.356/.547, 4 HR.  Tried him a bit it right but played mostly LF, where he's playing now in Fredericksburg. 

The twitter link has a nice picture of him next to Brady House in uniform, backs to the camera - "White" "House."

There was a nice piece in the WaPo profiling him and talking about Darryl Lile and House as well.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/01/09/tj-white-nationals-prospect/
Of their first 10 selections, seven were position players, four were outfielders and three of the top five were teenagers, plucked straight out of high school to join the start of a rebuild.

And within each of those groups was T.J. White, the switch-hitting corner outfielder from South Carolina. A fifth-round pick and recent Dorman High School grad, White had just turned 18 when he reported to West Palm Beach, Fla., in August. For the Nationals, it was settling to watch him and Brady House (shortstop, first round) produce right away in the Florida Complex League, with White posting a batting average/on-base percentage/slugging percentage slash line of .283/.356/.547 in 59 plate appearances. House, not to be outdone, slashed .322./394/.576, tying White with four homers in his 66 plate appearances.

Daylen Lile, an outfielder and their second-round choice, also flashed his potential and patience at the plate. The hope is that, in time, House, Lile and White either take off or fill the cracks of a system trying to claw toward average before setting its sights on good. Reflecting on the rush of professional experience, White pointed to House and Lile as a support system, his best friends and the healthy competition that pushes him, all in one.
“One thing that always stood out with T.J. is that he and his family wanted the honest truth of what he needed to fix to get better,” [high school coach] Jolly said. “We told him to gain some speed and work on his footwork in the outfield, and what happened? He checked both boxes. Because them asking us for tips and feedback was genuine. They really wanted to hear it because he had big goals.”

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Follow the Prospects: TJ White, LF
« Reply #1: April 30, 2022, 12:06:51 PM »
Some new reporting from Prospects 1500 on him:

Playing in full-season ball at 19 years old is quite an accomplishment. The Nationals’ front office must see something in White to be so aggressive with his minor league assignment. So far, his season has started a bit rough. After his 2021 stint in rookie ball, it was clear that swing and miss were going to be a part of White’s profile, but he could still be successful if he could just hit enough and unlock that power. Unfortunately, he’s striking out at a 39% rate and only one home run.

Simply put, White needs to make more contact. He’s aggressive at the plat and doesn’t seem to have much of a plan, just swinging at everything. Pitchers have been and will continue to take advantage of this. Until he learns to become more selective with what he swings at, White’s plus power will not carry him through the minor leagues. The good thing is that White is young for this level, so an adjustment as the season progresses is likely.
https://www.prospects1500.com/nl-east/nationals/nationals-single-a-prospects-reactions-to-small-sample-sizes/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=nationals-single-a-prospects-reactions-to-small-sample-sizes

through 49 PAs, seems to be doing well at a very young age in Fredericksburg: .302 / .388 / .535, 2 HRs.  Seem in line with the small sample last year at the FCL.  6 Walks in 49 PAs is a decent sign of a good eye.  Playing exclusively in left.  Base stealing is not a part of his game.  K rate is starting to come down (33%) since that article.  For comparison, it was 24% in the FCL last year.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #2: April 30, 2022, 07:39:43 PM »
Baseball America article says "At just 18 years old, switch-hitting outfielder TJ White has some of the most prodigious power in the Nationals' minor league camp this spring."

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3: May 14, 2022, 12:17:48 PM »
struggling a bit. Down to .232 / .328 / .411.  Made a couple of errors last night in left.  11 Ks in 13 ABs in May messing up those early season rates. 

Looks like he didn't play much from 4/24 to last week (just 5/4 until 5/10). 

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: June 09, 2022, 10:48:43 AM »
Still struggling but hit 2 homers last night - .236   .308   .742, 5HR, 2SB on the season.  He's only 18.

After an awful May, he's on fire in 6 games in June: .429 .478 .905, 3HR and a SB

Online imref

« Reply #5: June 25, 2022, 10:37:15 AM »
Still on fire in June - 65ABs, .354 / .440 / .662, 16Ks, 10BBs, 4HRs, 3SBs, also 2 triples and 4 doubles, and still only 18

Offline Section214

« Reply #6: June 25, 2022, 12:17:01 PM »
Will be interesting to see where he ends up in a mid-season re-rank. He should absolutely be ahead of Boissiere, Casey, Cluff, Fox, Mendez, Pineda and maybe a few more at this point.

Still striking out WAY too much, 58k in 150 AB, but his tools are off the charts and he is showing production at 18 in A-ball.

I would like to see him stay in Fburg the entire year and take over the middle of the order spot when De La Rosa moves up in the next few weeks. White and House hitting 3-4 would be a beautiful.

Online imref

« Reply #7: August 27, 2022, 12:56:49 PM »
Nice August:

Via @natsfarm
18-58 (.310)
.829 OPS
.379 wOBA
127 wRC+
2 HR

Offline Section214

« Reply #8: August 27, 2022, 07:25:32 PM »
If I remember correctly, he was the youngest player in the league when the season started, just 18 years old. Showed solid production and just needs to cut down on the strikeouts. All the tools in the world are there, really encouraging season for White.

Online imref

« Reply #9: August 27, 2022, 10:06:43 PM »
Hit his tenth tonight

Online imref

« Reply #10: August 31, 2022, 11:23:30 AM »
Player of the week honors and named to MLBPipeline's team of the week.

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospect-team-of-the-week-august-29-2022?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

OF: T.J. White, Fredericksburg Nationals (Single-A)
Nationals No. 20
.733/.722/1.333, 4 G, 11-for-15, 3 HR, 9 RBI, 6 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 3 SB

Another player on this week's list who only played in four games but made the most of it. White is making his full-season debut this year after being a fifth-round selection out of Dorman High School in South Carolina last year. The 19-year-old posted video game-like numbers in Fredericksburg, starting the week with three consecutive three-hit games before posting a fourth multihit effort with a home run. White collected 20 total bases over this stretch while raising his batting average 26 points to .262. Overall in August, the 19-year-old is batting .328/.386/.525 with three homers, three doubles, five walks, 16 RBIs and 10 runs.

Online imref

« Reply #11: September 08, 2022, 11:01:05 PM »
Another homer tonight

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12: September 09, 2022, 09:06:19 AM »
up to .259 on the year.  Weird to be psyched about .259 in low A, but this is a young guy whose ability to make consistent contact is probably the big question mark.  As long as he stays able to hit about that as he advances with age, the rest of the skills should play.  That's a big if, but will be fun to watch.  Maybe start next year at Fredericksburg and promote him to A+ if he lowers his Ks and makes more contact. He'll dominate if he does. 

Online imref

« Reply #13: September 09, 2022, 04:57:58 PM »
.400 BA, 4 home runs over his last 12.

Here's him hitting a 108MPH home run to RF yesterday.

https://twitter.com/Nats_PlayerDev/status/1568342102202896385

He just turned 19 in July.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: September 09, 2022, 05:42:52 PM »
lots of time for him.  Repeat Fredericksburg at the start of next year and have him force their hand if dominates.

Online imref

« Reply #15: September 09, 2022, 05:43:34 PM »
lots of time for him.  Repeat Fredericksburg at the start of next year and have him force their hand if dominates.

Might be a good candidate for the AFL.

Online RD

« Reply #16: September 09, 2022, 06:34:05 PM »
Might be a good candidate for the AFL.

I like White a lot. But that's too aggressive. He has an OPS under .800 in A- and just turned 19 years old. He might be a candidate next year, but its too much IMO to push him against much more polished guys with his experience and age.

Online imref

Online imref

« Reply #18: March 06, 2023, 11:42:39 PM »
Update:

https://www.mlb.com/news/nationals-prospects-daylen-lile-and-t-j-white-ready-for-next-step

For Washington, White’s hitting isn’t an issue. The Nats know he can hit -- his 11 home runs and .258/.353/.432 slash line at Single-A Fredericksburg prove that. A strong fastball hitter, White has been putting in work to identify breaking balls and lay off those low in the zone.

After last season, Washington knew it wanted White to face tougher competition. So, the Nats told White to head into the offseason preparing to play some first base this year.

“I got the call after the season, ‘Hey, we're going to move you to first to try to get you to move up in the system,’” White said. “And I was like, ‘OK, cool.’ They told me to go home in the offseason and just work on [playing first], and I'm making tremendous improvements.

“I definitely appreciate it, them showing me basically what they think I'm capable of doing. I'm never going to complain if it gets me on the field. I'm going to do it.”

White boasts plus-power (a 60 scouting grade). As he becomes more able to see pitches and cut down his strikeout rate -- it was 27.2 percent last year, though it dropped to 22 percent in the final two months of the season -- he has a legitimate chance at making his mark and keeping the Nationals interested in his development.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19: March 07, 2023, 08:16:08 AM »
Interesting that he's the one of the OFs that they are talking about moving to first.  I guess that, because he was projected as the corner OF, his D is probably not at the level of Wood / Green, but was his D a liability?

Offline Section214

« Reply #20: March 07, 2023, 08:54:46 AM »
Interesting that he's the one of the OFs that they are talking about moving to first.  I guess that, because he was projected as the corner OF, his D is probably not at the level of Wood / Green, but was his D a liability?

Seems to me like more of a product of the fact that we have basically zero highly touted 1B at any level in the minors

Online imref

« Reply #21: March 07, 2023, 08:55:56 AM »
Seems to me like more of a product of the fact that we have basically zero highly touted 1B at any level in the minors

Just Will Frizzell

Offline Section214

« Reply #22: March 07, 2023, 09:10:47 AM »
Just Will Frizzell

Is he in the minor league camp? I also think he is only a DH which is ridiculous for his age.

Online imref

« Reply #23: March 07, 2023, 10:27:05 AM »
Is he in the minor league camp? I also think he is only a DH which is ridiculous for his age.

I assume he's in MiL camp. .377   .426   .696    with a 11 HRs in 138 ABs at Poto..Fredricksburg last year which is impressive. I assume he starts in Wilmington next year.

He played 1 game at 1st last year and DH'd the rest, so either he's the next Adam Dunn in terms of fielding, or they are working on moving him to play more 1B next year as well.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24: March 07, 2023, 11:24:47 AM »
I assume he's in MiL camp. .377   .426   .696    with a 11 HRs in 138 ABs at Poto..Fredricksburg last year which is impressive. I assume he starts in Wilmington next year.

He played 1 game at 1st last year and DH'd the rest, so either he's the next Adam Dunn in terms of fielding, or they are working on moving him to play more 1B next year as well.
do we have a Frizzell FTP ;)