Author Topic: Padres become first team to sell ad space on jerseys  (Read 292 times)

Offline Count Walewski

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2022-04-19/padres-motorola-jersey-patches-2023

Padres will wear patches with the Motorola logo beginning in 2023.

I trust that the Lerners are currently organizing a bidding war between Leidos and Deloitte for space on the Nats jersey.

Offline HalfSmokes

I want raytheon

Offline Mattionals

It was bound to happen given where revenues are headed. I'm used to it on soccer unis, so it's not a big shocker. Just keep it to patches on the arms though, no adverts on the front or back.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Rather disappointing- I've always rather liked that MLB shirts were still 'pure'...

Offline Count Walewski

It was bound to happen given where revenues are headed. I'm used to it on soccer unis, so it's not a big shocker. Just keep it to patches on the arms though, no adverts on the front or back.

Yeah I dare say that the big sponsor name on the chest is the first thing I notice on a soccer jersey (since, as an American, that's where I am trained to look for team name).

As somebody who makes trivia quizzes, it's actually a godsend because since European soccer jerseys are more distinguished by the color pattern or a smaller team patch rather than team name on the front, I don't really have to edit out names when asking people to identify the team from a picture of a player wearing the uniform.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I say we group fund "Chico's Bail Bonds" as a jersey sponsor.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
In all seriousness, patches with corporate logos that do not dominate the jersey is OK.  I would not like Standard Charter, AIG,  Ineos, or AG2R Citreon to be the dominant thing I see.

Colors really don't work for baseball because teams primarily are white at home (with / without pinstripes) and gray on the road.  Alternate jerseys are common, and a few I guess either have a color or had powder blue at home.

Offline Natsinpwc

In all seriousness, patches with corporate logos that do not dominate the jersey is OK.  I would not like Standard Charter, AIG,  Ineos, or AG2R Citreon to be the dominant thing I see.

Colors really don't work for baseball because teams primarily are white at home (with / without pinstripes) and gray on the road.  Alternate jerseys are common, and a few I guess either have a color or had powder blue at home.
The NBA has moved to teams often both wearing colors which I find annoying but it’s probably a trend so don’t be surprised if MLB moves that way to sell more jerseys.

Offline Natsinpwc

I say we group fund "Chico's Bail Bonds" as a jersey sponsor.
Kars for Kids.

Offline UMDNats

The only acceptable companies can be defense contractors or lobbyist firms. Honorable mention for SuperPACs and think tanks. No one else. Truthfully, the swampier the better.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
The NBA has moved to teams often both wearing colors which I find annoying but it’s probably a trend so don’t be surprised if MLB moves that way to sell more jerseys.

Just look at the major EPL clubs, who can now have  a home, away, third, fourth, CL, training, friendly, leisure and who knows how many other shirts every season - all of which are only for the current season, then there are all new designs each time. KERRCHINGGG!!!

Offline Elvir Ovcina

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2022-04-19/padres-motorola-jersey-patches-2023

Padres will wear patches with the Motorola logo beginning in 2023.

I trust that the Lerners are currently organizing a bidding war between Leidos and Deloitte for space on the Nats jersey.

Preller will get ownership to put his own face on the other sleeve.

Offline blue911

Marlboro cigarettes and Axe deodorant

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Actually, let's tell Billy Bayne to put CCR's logo on the jerseys.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on