Author Topic: The Nats are...For Sale?!?  (Read 27072 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: The Nats are...For Sale?!?
« Reply #725: January 13, 2023, 05:52:10 PM »
I'd pay $250 for a season without blinking. Maybe $300. $2.50 a game? Sure. That'd be like a month of the cable I don't pay for anymore.

They'd better not wait too long. It's getting easier to live without it.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #726: January 24, 2023, 10:52:48 AM »
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/35512412/arte-moreno-maintain-ownership-angels-exploring-sale

In a bit of a surprise, Moreno decided he didn't want to sell.   I wonder if their uncertain TV situation (how much is a contract for 150-200m/year over 10 years from a company who is headed towards bankruptcy worth?) is gumming up their sale too.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #727: January 24, 2023, 01:35:29 PM »
aka "how long is a piece of string?"

That's one hell of a market and studded lineup with which to languish in or near the bottom half in attendance. 
how much is a contract for 150-200m/year over 10 years from a company who is headed towards bankruptcy worth?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #728: January 24, 2023, 01:42:29 PM »
Even Harry and William are getting along better than the Angelos brothers these days.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #729: January 24, 2023, 01:59:02 PM »
Proetus and Acrisius Angelos

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #730: January 24, 2023, 02:08:43 PM »
And the nats can't be sold until this mess is resolved.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #731: January 24, 2023, 10:46:50 PM »
Peter Angelos tried to block the Expos from moving to Washington. When that failed he screwed them with the MASN deal. This is some sweet action. There was talk John Angelos and the mother were considering moving them to North Carolina. That would be great but I think they have to decide on renewing the stadium lease soon.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #732: January 25, 2023, 01:02:41 PM »
Peter Angelos tried to block the Expos from moving to Washington. When that failed he screwed them with the MASN deal. This is some sweet action. There was talk John Angelos and the mother were considering moving them to North Carolina. That would be great but I think they have to decide on renewing the stadium lease soon.

Baltimore will make a nice AAA franchise for the Nats. Send the Orioles to New Jersey.

If Angelos had had any business sense, he would have welcomed an AL team to Washington, allowing fans from both teams to travel 35 miles or so to see their games. Just then, MLB talked about contracting the Expos and the Twins. Should have moved the Twins back to Washington. Before the Expos were moved to DC, Baltimore was a "who cares?" team in the AL, with no rivalry with anyone.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #733: January 31, 2023, 09:43:38 AM »
Svrluga with an update - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/31/nationals-sale-chance-masn/

Nothing really new. Expectation is no sale until the MASN situation is resolved, and that won't happen until at least after the current round of court battles with the hearing set for March 14 that we've already discussed. He again notes that Rizzo and Martinez are only under contract through the end of this year, so if there's no sale there's likely a management mess heading into next season with no long-term plan.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #734: January 31, 2023, 10:13:53 AM »
Svrluga with an update - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/31/nationals-sale-chance-masn/

Nothing really new. Expectation is no sale until the MASN situation is resolved, and that won't happen until at least after the current round of court battles with the hearing set for March 14 that we've already discussed. He again notes that Rizzo and Martinez are only under contract through the end of this year, so if there's no sale there's likely a management mess heading into next season with no long-term plan.

The MASN situation won't be resolved until the original Toad (Angelos) dies and the Toad spawn resolve their lawsuits, because the old man's number for selling the rights is infinity and the spawn's numbers are entirely dependent on screwing the other spawn out of most of the cash.

This is not a 1 year horizon or likely even a 3 year.  To be held hostage to that crapshow is enough to make me want to dig up Bud Selig (note: not sure if he's dead or not) and make him watch this year's Nationals until he begs to be put back under.

Offline machpost

« Reply #735: January 31, 2023, 10:42:11 AM »

It wouldn't be at all surprising to see Martinez and/or Rizzo jump ship after the season in search of better job security.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #736: January 31, 2023, 10:46:22 AM »
To be held hostage to that crapshow is enough to make me want to dig up Bud Selig (note: not sure if he's dead or not) and make him watch this year's Nationals until he begs to be put back under.

Blame Anthony Williams too, he signed the deal for the city even though he knew that the TV rights issue was going to come back to bite us.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #737: January 31, 2023, 10:51:28 AM »
Blame Anthony Williams too, he signed the deal for the city even though he knew that the TV rights issue was going to come back to bite us.

Maybe DC can do an amicus brief where they blame their former governmental decisions for their predicament and bemoan its impact on the long-term viability on baseball there

Offline imref

« Reply #738: January 31, 2023, 11:48:15 AM »
It wouldn't be at all surprising to see Martinez and/or Rizzo jump ship after the season in search of better job security.

I'm sure they will both be in demand. There's no reason for either to stay given the ownership situation.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #739: January 31, 2023, 12:21:09 PM »
Blame the DC media also as no one really wanted to focus on that with the feel good story of a new team in town.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #740: January 31, 2023, 12:34:53 PM »
Blame the DC media also as no one really wanted to focus on that with the feel good story of a new team in town.

The Post and some of the Times reporter coverage often seemed horribly inadequate on vetting the strengths of bids, including that Williams didn't have the authority to deliver a deal (the DC Council did), which may have appeared to conveniently obscured by what came out in print. That resulted in the Cropp lease issue to start, and then the lease issue in 2006 that reportedly could’ve scuttled the relocation entirely.

Add the continual reporting and seeming affirmation of Angelos’ claims related to market impact rather than skewering those claims, and the issue-laden MASN deal seemed to fit with the inside straight that Williams, Evans, Touhey, Bill Hall et al were attempting.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #741: January 31, 2023, 12:41:47 PM »
I'm sure they will both be in demand. There's no reason for either to stay given the ownership situation.

Rizzo has drafted terribly recently. Maybe he'll get another job, but I don't see teams lining up to hire him

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #742: January 31, 2023, 01:16:42 PM »

Martinez isn't going to get a better/more secure job and Rizzo isn't going to be in high demand unless a contending team cans their GM.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #743: January 31, 2023, 01:17:48 PM »
Also shoutout to Mark Lerner for basically holding the team hostage another year because he doesn't have the cajónes to publicly lobby Manfred (who is also a total loser in this) or publicly address anything. Just an empty suit counting pennies while his baseball team burns. Hopefully he can still shag some fly balls with the minor leaguers we call up in May to take over for our injured guys.

Offline imref

« Reply #744: January 31, 2023, 01:21:21 PM »
Also shoutout to Mark Lerner for basically holding the team hostage another year because he doesn't have the cajónes to publicly lobby Manfred (who is also a total loser in this) or publicly address anything. Just an empty suit counting pennies while his baseball team burns. Hopefully he can still shag some fly balls with the minor leaguers we call up in May to take over for our injured guys.

with the money the Lerners have, you'd think they'd be able to buy out Angelos's stake in MASN with ease.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #745: January 31, 2023, 01:38:56 PM »
I think Anthony Williams is a hero in all this. When Virginia wouldn't pony up for the stadium and other cities were vying for the Expos Williams was the one who stepped up to the plate and offered to build the park. I remember the night the city council voted the stadium deal down but Williams and Evans got them back together and got them to agree to the deal.

I'm sure Angelos was threatening to drag the move to DC into the courts and we've seen how that goes. I would bet MLB reluctantly agreed to the MASN deal to avoid everything getting tied up in the courts. Eventually MLB would of had to nix the move because they wouldn't of been able to keep in the courts for years.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #746: January 31, 2023, 02:34:38 PM »
Yup.
I think Anthony Williams is a hero in all this. When Virginia wouldn't pony up for the stadium and other cities were vying for the Expos Williams was the one who stepped up to the plate and offered to build the park. I remember the night the city council voted the stadium deal down but Williams and Evans got them back together and got them to agree to the deal.

I'm sure Angelos was threatening to drag the move to DC into the courts and we've seen how that goes. I would bet MLB reluctantly agreed to the MASN deal to avoid everything getting tied up in the courts. Eventually MLB would of had to nix the move because they wouldn't of been able to keep in the courts for years.

Offline machpost

« Reply #747: January 31, 2023, 02:55:33 PM »
with the money the Lerners have, you'd think they'd be able to buy out Angelos's stake in MASN with ease.
To them it would be pocket change, but I get the impression they love having money more than they love spending it.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #748: January 31, 2023, 04:05:26 PM »

I’ll point back to the Post as I recall putting out interestingly-timed cautionary stories for Warner on the bonds right at the critical juncture, which I think played to Warner not wanting anything attached to him leading into his pursuits of further office. The problem was that had he signaled that it was an issue at any previous time, Virginia’s state-established stadium authorityreportedly had other options for pivoting, which resurfaced during the whole lease negotiation issues first and early 2005 and then later in 2006 (when Kaine was governor).

Why I don’t see him as a hero is because he didn’t have the pull that appeared to have been portrayed, which led to compromises and deals with the likes of Evans who could’ve very easily gotten a ballpark at the RFK stadium site which could’ve help keep the team viable rather than this shoehorned Metro-dependent ballpark width a litany of issues as far as viability that would not have been faster than RFK Stadium site. Case in point was the ridiculous claims that the RFK Stadium site could not be used because of national park service and contamination issues, yet the second they were bidding for the Redskins, it suddenly went back on the table.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080129171813/http://www.examiner.com/blogs/Yeas_and_Nays/2008/1/23/ChiSox-owner-Nats-new-site-was-a-mistake

“Chicago White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who was intimately involved with selecting Washington as a baseball city, had some second-guessing to do Tuesday on where the team will be located.

“Speaking at George Washington University, Reinsdorf recalled how Commissioner Bud Selig asked him and a group of other owners to select a city to relocate the Montreal Expos. “Whatever you do, don’t give me Washington,” he said Selig told him.

“That’s exactly what they did, although Reinsdorf said the decision had “nothing to do with my love for D.C.” (he got his bachelor’s degree from G.W. in the ’50s) but was “strictly business.

“Nevertheless, he said he preferred Northern Virginia over downtown due to its “better fan base.” Then he told the crowd, which included Nats principal owner Mark Lerner, that he “would have requested a different location” in the city.

““We were sold on the idea that there would be enough parking,” he said. “I’m afraid that’s not the case. I would have insisted on [the RFK site].””

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #749: January 31, 2023, 04:18:29 PM »
To them it would be pocket change, but I get the impression they love having money more than they love spending it.
They aren't Bezos. A few hundred million matter if you're only a billionaire 4x over. Somebody on Svrluga 's chat asked about whether owning the Post impacted Bezos on a bid for the Commies, and Svrluga pointed out the Post cost him $250 million but he's worth $125 billion (not said, but that's after the divorce).