Author Topic: The Nats are...For Sale?!?  (Read 26549 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: The Nats are...For Sale?!?
« Reply #550: November 02, 2022, 09:06:06 AM »
Unfortunately the article makes it sound like there is no way the Nats are going to wrangle their TV rights away from the Orioles. MLB is just trying to get a concrete figure in terms of what sort of rights fees can be expected. At least that was my takeaway.

if they can't reach a MASN deal I assume Leonsis and crew walk away.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #551: November 02, 2022, 12:14:31 PM »
WaPo: MLB gets involved in MASN debate to help facilitate sale of Nationals

Gift article:
https://wapo.st/3gRvrxw
Am the only one that didn't really learn anything new reading that article?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #552: November 02, 2022, 12:16:08 PM »
Am the only one that didn't really learn anything new reading that article?
I don’t think there was any prior indication MLB was involved. But not surprising.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #553: November 02, 2022, 12:39:50 PM »
if they can't reach a MASN deal I assume Leonsis and crew walk away.

That's what I've thought will happen from the beginning. You have one side who needs resolution to the MASN deal and another side that could care less about getting resolution.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #554: November 02, 2022, 12:54:35 PM »
It doesn't seem like the O's ownership is behaving like a rational actor at this point.  The money isn't getting into the Os books either.    There is money in escrow, a huge looming liability, and huge legal bills.   The O's aren't going to be in a good place to spend or sell until they sort this out either.   

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #555: November 02, 2022, 02:54:43 PM »
Can the Nats claim that the MASN deal is void because the Orioles have not made a payment since [whenever it was]? Can MLB do that in place of the Nats?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #556: November 02, 2022, 04:20:00 PM »
Can the Nats claim that the MASN deal is void because the Orioles have not made a payment since [whenever it was]? Can MLB do that in place of the Nats?

yes, after ten more years of lawsuits, countersuits, and so on....

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #557: November 03, 2022, 10:42:51 AM »
I’m honestly impressed that the attorneys who drew up MASN created such an ironclad deal that a decade of Lerner lawsuits couldn’t untangle it and even MLB trying to get a new ownership group in DC can’t solve it.

Incredible work by those attorneys.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #558: November 03, 2022, 10:53:37 AM »
I’m honestly impressed that the attorneys who drew up MASN created such an ironclad deal that a decade of Lerner lawsuits couldn’t untangle it and even MLB trying to get a new ownership group in DC can’t solve it.

Incredible work by those attorneys.

Or, they’re taking the path of least resistance to avoid risking a litigious owner leaking inside baseball (sic) items like accounting practices that may risk the antitrust exemption

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #559: November 03, 2022, 11:11:20 AM »
What is confusing to me is why the courts have allowed appeals and such to go on for so long. 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #560: November 03, 2022, 11:11:26 AM »
F this. MLB needs to get the rights to the Nats. This is inexcusable.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #561: November 03, 2022, 11:14:53 AM »
What is confusing to me is why the courts have allowed appeals and such to go on for so long. 

Mets fans?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #562: November 03, 2022, 11:47:25 AM »
I think it was a bit of sloppy lawyering that created an appealable issue.  Arbitration is quick and bad for the party forced into arbitration, which in this case was Angelos.  MLB ran the arbitration and put the clause in there.  This should have been relatively easy to resolve.  However, they gave an opening to Angelos to appeal when they used the same firm to represent MLB (or the Lerners) and to conduct the arbitration.  Courts have so few opportunities to police arbitration that they got slammed in the trial court which caused the whole process to start over.  OTOH, I can't figure out why the restrarted process has taken so long.  I'm guessing that there's an attempt to cut a settlement in lieu of forcing MASN into bankruptcy (and messy discovery in the court process).

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #563: November 03, 2022, 12:27:33 PM »

Everyone wins when the attorneys only have a goal of billable hours and never actually working anything out. And by everyone, I mean the attorneys involved exclusively. Your ticket money has bought Mark Lerner's attorney a new lake house in Deep Creek, congrats!

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #564: November 03, 2022, 12:55:45 PM »
Everyone wins when the attorneys only have a goal of billable hours and never actually working anything out. And by everyone, I mean the attorneys involved exclusively. Your ticket money has bought Mark Lerner's attorney a new lake house in Deep Creek, congrats!
What a great country we live in.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #565: November 03, 2022, 01:01:50 PM »
I renewed so that no one on K St would have to go without a new rooftop jacuzzi at the Telluride house

Offline catocony

« Reply #566: November 03, 2022, 05:02:47 PM »
With the Commanders up for sale, I wonder how that impacts the Nat's deals in the making?  Football makes a lot more money than baseball.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #567: November 03, 2022, 06:34:49 PM »
Is the report accurate that the Lerner's are unhappy with the level of offers they've seen and are now leaning to perhaps NOT selling?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #568: November 03, 2022, 07:01:21 PM »
Is the report accurate that the Lerner's are unhappy with the level of offers they've seen and are now leaning to perhaps NOT selling?
What report?

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #569: November 03, 2022, 11:11:13 PM »
And there’s this…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/03/jeff-bezos-jay-z-washington-commanders/

“The group being mentioned by industry analysts and other observers includes Bezos and Jay-Z; Tesla and SpaceX chief executive Elon Musk; Washington Wizards and Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and his partner in bidding on the Washington Nationals, Carlyle Group co-founder David Rubenstein; and Clearlake Capital co-founders Behdad Eghbali and Jose E. Feliciano, along with other former bidders for the Broncos.“

Offline machpost

« Reply #570: November 04, 2022, 08:40:43 AM »
And there’s this…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/11/03/jeff-bezos-jay-z-washington-commanders/

“The group being mentioned by industry analysts and other observers includes Bezos and Jay-Z; Tesla and SpaceX chief executive Elon Musk; Washington Wizards and Capitals owner Ted Leonsis and his partner in bidding on the Washington Nationals, Carlyle Group co-founder David Rubenstein; and Clearlake Capital co-founders Behdad Eghbali and Jose E. Feliciano, along with other former bidders for the Broncos.“

Elon Musk?? I didn't think we could come up with a worse option than Dan Snyder.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #571: November 04, 2022, 08:46:21 AM »
What report?
As I was driving yesterday (Thurs, Nov 3) morning and switching between radio stations, caught the end of remarks on this on 106.7. Know the source may be highly questionable, as is maybe what I heard. Was hoping someone else might've heard and could expand.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #572: November 04, 2022, 09:06:16 AM »
And there’s this…

Am I the only one who things the guy in bold could light a fire under them.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #573: November 04, 2022, 09:25:16 AM »
I think it was a bit of sloppy lawyering that created an appealable issue.  Arbitration is quick and bad for the party forced into arbitration, which in this case was Angelos.  MLB ran the arbitration and put the clause in there.  This should have been relatively easy to resolve.  However, they gave an opening to Angelos to appeal when they used the same firm to represent MLB (or the Lerners) and to conduct the arbitration.  Courts have so few opportunities to police arbitration that they got slammed in the trial court which caused the whole process to start over.  OTOH, I can't figure out why the restrarted process has taken so long.  I'm guessing that there's an attempt to cut a settlement in lieu of forcing MASN into bankruptcy (and messy discovery in the court process).

It was odd that the Nationals use of Proskauer Rose was the grounds for the appeal. Proskauer Rose have sports as a major focus of their business and have advised a number of MLB teams and MLB itself. I know that I had read that they had even represented the Orioles prior to the 2014 arbitration hearing, but I cannot find that article now (since it is probably 7 years ago).

https://www.proskauer.com/industries/sports

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #574: November 04, 2022, 09:35:21 AM »
 :rimshot:
Am I the only one who things the guy in bold could light a fire under them.