Author Topic: The Nats are...For Sale?!?  (Read 26523 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: The Nats are...For Sale?!?
« Reply #500: October 21, 2022, 10:00:04 AM »
I don’t see why they’d limit the bidding to the Nats’ ownership. I doubt they’re looking to do Ted a favor
Nope.

Like I said, the best case scenario is Ted somehow gets the team out of the MASN deal. Truly do not see a way that a Leonsis run baseball team does anything major during his tenure.

It will the team that is consistently hovering around .500 but fails to make meaningful postseason runs.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #501: October 21, 2022, 10:21:02 AM »
I don’t see why they’d limit the bidding to the Nats’ ownership. I doubt they’re looking to do Ted a favor
Is MASN even worth anything?   It seems likely they'll eventually have to pay both teams rights fees that are equal to or more than revenue.   

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #502: October 21, 2022, 11:33:45 AM »
Is MASN even worth anything?   It seems likely they'll eventually have to pay both teams rights fees that are equal to or more than revenue.   

MASN owns both team’s rights. I think it’s worth whatever RSN generate and then whatever MLB or whoever mlb contracts having to buy out the digital rights to stream. Eventually, MLB and NBA will have to have a product that allows in market streaming and buying out the rights holders will cost them a fortune

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #503: October 21, 2022, 12:15:53 PM »
I guess I don't see how anyone could bid on MASN itself given all the uncertainty on the legal issues. 

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #504: October 21, 2022, 12:34:30 PM »
I guess I don't see how anyone could bid on MASN itself given all the uncertainty on the legal issues.

At the very least, it stands to reason that Leonsis given his market and TV deal positioning with his other teams as well as having Mark Lerner as a partner at one point may be as informed as possible and up-to-date as to the true picture.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #505: October 21, 2022, 12:40:41 PM »
MASN owns both team’s rights. I think it’s worth whatever RSN generate and then whatever MLB or whoever mlb contracts having to buy out the digital rights to stream. Eventually, MLB and NBA will have to have a product that allows in market streaming and buying out the rights holders will cost them a fortune
If MASN brings in 150 million (and falling) revenue per year, they still have to pay the teams their rights fees, which is probably a combined 160 million per year.   Not a business I'd want to buy!   And the reason no one wants to buy Sinclairs sports nets.

The RSNs don't generally own the streaming rights.   https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2022/10/17/Insiders/Sports-media.aspx   MLB used to own them, but I think they gave them to the teams at some point.   Its the RSNs though that have to pay the teams for those rights.

Whether the Nats or MASN own the Nats streaming rights is probably a 10 year legal battle though since the intent was to give Angelos a piece of Nats media revenue as compensation.

MASN eventually has to pay the Nats several hundred million for past years and more than it can afford going forward.   It leaves a nice opportunity for Leonsis to negotiate a settlement of offering to take half of the back money, taking over MASN(I'd expect they'd keep MASN intact for now even if it is bought out, since they are going to bring in more fees with existing carriage agreements for both MASN and what was CSN) with rights to both teams pegged at a percentage of revenue and giving Angelos some minority stake in the media company so he can benefit if they ever figure out a way to monetize streaming.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #506: October 21, 2022, 01:10:46 PM »
At the very least, it stands to reason that Leonsis given his market and TV deal positioning with his other teams as well as having Mark Lerner as a partner at one point may be as informed as possible and up-to-date as to the true picture.
I was just commenting on someone saying they could sell MASN by itself. Yes I think Leonsis doing it as part of a deal to buy the Nats makes sense. Especially if the Angelos son wants to sell his team. It clears the decks for both franchises.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #507: October 21, 2022, 02:08:34 PM »
If MASN brings in 150 million (and falling) revenue per year, they still have to pay the teams their rights fees, which is probably a combined 160 million per year.   Not a business I'd want to buy!   And the reason no one wants to buy Sinclairs sports nets.

The RSNs don't generally own the streaming rights.   https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2022/10/17/Insiders/Sports-media.aspx   MLB used to own them, but I think they gave them to the teams at some point.   Its the RSNs though that have to pay the teams for those rights.

Whether the Nats or MASN own the Nats streaming rights is probably a 10 year legal battle though since the intent was to give Angelos a piece of Nats media revenue as compensation.

MASN eventually has to pay the Nats several hundred million for past years and more than it can afford going forward.   It leaves a nice opportunity for Leonsis to negotiate a settlement of offering to take half of the back money, taking over MASN(I'd expect they'd keep MASN intact for now even if it is bought out, since they are going to bring in more fees with existing carriage agreements for both MASN and what was CSN) with rights to both teams pegged at a percentage of revenue and giving Angelos some minority stake in the media company so he can benefit if they ever figure out a way to monetize streaming.

If the Lerners thought for even a minute that they owned the Nats streaming rights, there would be a streaming package for purchase.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #508: October 21, 2022, 02:39:17 PM »

Whether the Nats or MASN own the Nats streaming rights .....

I dropped cable and have been streaming the Nats the past two seasons.  I pay MLB.  So I have assumed MLB owns the streaming rights.  No?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #509: October 21, 2022, 03:35:57 PM »
I dropped cable and have been streaming the Nats the past two seasons.  I pay MLB.  So I have assumed MLB owns the streaming rights.  No?

Not in market

Offline hotshot

« Reply #510: October 21, 2022, 06:52:04 PM »
Were any names bandied about as to who/what other potentially competing groups to buy the Nats were?

If Ted owns the Nats, Wizards and Bullets, how much attention do the Nats get? Does he split his focus three ways, or would his priority be like Caps, Wizards, Nats, in that order?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #511: October 21, 2022, 07:46:39 PM »
Were any names bandied about as to who/what other potentially competing groups to buy the Nats were?

If Ted owns the Nats, Wizards and Bullets, how much attention do the Nats get? Does he split his focus three ways, or would his priority be like Caps, Wizards, Nats, in that order?

Ted isnt hands on with his other teams. Not sure why the Nats would be different

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #512: October 21, 2022, 07:47:57 PM »
I’d be more worried about the willingness to spend than anything. He seems to love the caps, but the Wizards are consistently mediocre and he won’t tank and he won’t go all in

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #513: October 22, 2022, 09:05:23 AM »
Ted isnt hands on with his other teams. Not sure why the Nats would be different
I’d be more worried about the willingness to spend than anything. He seems to love the caps, but the Wizards are consistently mediocre and he won’t tank and he won’t go all in
Seems more like he finds a guy to run the team and gives him a long leash. As for money, I am not so sure he won't spend on guys as he doesn't have the guys to spend on. He went max on Wall and Beale. He just hasn't had the 3rd stud and the depth guys to spend on.

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #514: October 22, 2022, 09:15:41 AM »
Sorry, but Wall never was a stud.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #515: October 22, 2022, 09:36:35 AM »
Sorry, but Wall never was a stud.
you may be right, but he got a max contract, right? It doesn't show Leondis is cheap with the Wiz. Maybe too hands off, but not cheap.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #516: October 22, 2022, 09:50:28 AM »
you may be right, but he got a max contract, right? It doesn't show Leondis is cheap with the Wiz. Maybe too hands off, but not cheap.
Im actually more worried about that. We all lament Harper. Turner, and Soto, but Leonsis' philosophy would have kept Desmond, Zimmermann, Rendon, and Strasburg

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #517: October 22, 2022, 10:44:37 AM »
Beal shows the wizards aren’t cheap. Wizards have the 12th highest payroll in the nba

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #518: October 22, 2022, 10:59:03 AM »
Im actually more worried about that. We all lament Harper. Turner, and Soto, but Leonsis' philosophy would have kept Desmond, Zimmermann, Rendon, and Strasburg
It would be interesting if someone like Rizzo said to him, "Desmond is good but not a guy to go all in on, and the Turner kid may be even better," whether Leonsis would say, "I don't care, sign him."  That would be a problem.  As you say, I think they still  sign Strasburg. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #519: October 22, 2022, 11:53:23 AM »
I don’t think you can really compare keeping free agents in one sport versus another. Ted kept Beal because he does not want to tank. And keeps fiddling with ways to get better but cannot.  And found a “star” that would rather have the money than compete for a title.  With the aging core of the Caps they are no longer a real contender. Overall except for 2018 their playoffs have been failures.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #520: October 22, 2022, 11:54:45 AM »
Beal shows the wizards aren’t cheap. Wizards have the 12th highest payroll in the nba
But he won’t pay the luxury tax to find another star.  Paying $50 million to one guy who is not great is just not wise. It’s the same argument people have against signing Soto.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #521: October 22, 2022, 05:55:23 PM »

That's a good point. We always talk about the guys that got away but rarely the guys the Nats let go and they stunk it up. Strasburg coming off a world series MVP would of been tough to let go but in hindsight a shorter contract would of made more sense at the time. The others I hated to see go but now Rizzo made the right decision. I gotta believe it would be the rare occurrence where Ted would overrule Rizzo whichever way it went.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #522: October 22, 2022, 07:28:11 PM »
They’re paying Beal because they didn’t have the guts to trade him

Offline Slateman

« Reply #523: October 22, 2022, 07:29:12 PM »
They’re paying Beal because they didn’t have the guts to trade him
Yep.

There is no aspect of the Wizards that should be used to show that Leonsis is a good owner.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #524: October 22, 2022, 07:35:35 PM »
Brings up another difference with the NBA.  You can give your own guys an extra year as a free agent than other teams can.