Author Topic: The Rotation - 2022  (Read 1133 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: The Rotation - 2022
« Reply #25: June 06, 2022, 11:41:03 AM »
I would send him back to Harrisburg.
well, it's also a question of whether Lee stays. They need to keep one up, or add Tetreault to the 40 man roster and bring him up.  Stras is taking the 4th slot after Corbin, Gray, and Fedde.  Still need another arm - Lee, Adon, Tetreault, or Espino / Erasmo / Jolly Rogers (edit - and Mr. Rogers is on the IL). 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #26: June 06, 2022, 11:59:40 AM »
well, it's also a question of whether Lee stays. They need to keep one up, or add Tetreault to the 40 man roster and bring him up.  Stras is taking the 4th slot after Corbin, Gray, and Fedde.  Still need another arm - Lee, Adon, Tetreault, or Espino / Erasmo / Jolly Rogers.

I'd keep Lee and agree on sending Adon to AA.  If Lee can't handle it, Espino is next.  Tetrault isn't the worst option either given that he'll be Rule 5 eligible in the winter and is probably worth protecting anyway.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #27: June 06, 2022, 02:14:49 PM »
hopefully a preview of 2023: Strasburg/Cole/Cavalli this past weekend: 18 IP, 9 H, 1 R, 4 BB, 17 Ks

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #28: June 06, 2022, 02:42:09 PM »
Probably best to freeze strasburg cryogenically and wake him up in 23 or 24.    Not much good can come from him wasting bullets this year. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29: June 06, 2022, 03:08:44 PM »
Lee being skipped.  Adon, then Gray.  Thursday starter is open.  Stras to throw today.

After a day off Monday, Washington is set to start Joan Adon on Tuesday and Josiah Gray on Wednesday, but the Nationals haven’t decided who will start Thursday. Evan Lee, who made his major league debut Wednesday in a loss at the Mets, is available to start or come out of the bullpen.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/06/05/nationals-reds-patrick-corbin/

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #30: June 06, 2022, 03:12:06 PM »
Lee probably more useful to us as a bullpen guy unless we absolutely need a starter

considering adon barely ever lasts more than 3-4 innings good chance he pitches in those games

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31: June 06, 2022, 03:16:46 PM »
Lee probably more useful to us as a bullpen guy unless we absolutely need a starter

considering adon barely ever lasts more than 3-4 innings good chance he pitches in those games
sounds like their thinking.  They kept Fox up when they reactivated DSG and IL'd Arano, so Lee can slip into the bullpen until Rogers is back. Stras can take Fox's slot, but Fox can stay until Stras gets his first start. 

Offline NatsAllThe Way

« Reply #32: June 06, 2022, 04:19:12 PM »
Probably best to freeze strasburg cryogenically and wake him up in 23 or 24.    Not much good can come from him wasting bullets this year. 
Can we do the same with Corbin and just never thaw him?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33: June 06, 2022, 05:10:29 PM »
Can we do the same with Corbin and just never thaw him?
turn him over to Jaba the Hut and tell him it is Han Solo?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: June 18, 2022, 12:20:33 PM »
Looks like Tereault is getting another start Sunday. So, as of right now, the rotation looks like Gray, Tetreault, Fedde, Corbin, and Espino. There's a couple of off days next week, so it is conceivable that Espino or Tetreault could be skipped next time through.

Looking forward, Cavalli has had a decent but not dominant month or so in AAA (29 IP, 5 GS, 2.17 ERA, 1.035 WHIP, 9 K/9), with a couple of 7 inning starts that were very good mixed in with 3 shorter 5 inning  max starts that were meh.  I'll defer to others who watch his games, but I don't see him as ready, and I can see good reasons to let him finish the year in AAA unless he goes on a sustained, dominant stretch that shows he's too good for the league.  I'm out on an island here, and most others thinks it's just about time to throw him to the wolves.  I could see adding him the 40 man and 26 man rosters once the assorted veterans like Cishek and Edwards are cleared out by trades.

Adon I think remains the spot starter for double-headers if he's available.

posted too soon. Rest of the AAA rotation right now is Cole Henry, Jefry Rodriguez, and Sterling Sharp.  None are on the 40 man roster.  I don't see any of these guys as likely fill in starters or moving into the rotation.

IF anyone has thoughts on guys you could see moving into the rotation and when this year, post below.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #35: June 18, 2022, 12:51:27 PM »
None.

It's a shame that they have Adon pitching to major leaguers. He probably needs AAA even more than Cavalli.

Espino, at least, looks competent for a few innings...four or five, maybe. This is where they hurt from failing to sign a couple of number 4 starters off-season...current versions of the 2019 Anibal.

Nothiing but uginess ahead. As someone said (van lingle mungo, I think), this is the worst Nats rotation I have ever seen, and I remember back to the 1953 season. Is Gray another Dean Stone or a future Camilo?

Offline Section214

« Reply #36: June 18, 2022, 12:52:16 PM »
I would be surprised and disappointed to not see Evan Lee get a few more starts.

Adon, Lee and Tetrault are guys who should get a ton of leash and see what they can do. Cavalli will be up in July or August to see a half-dozen starts which will be great.

I don't think we see Henry, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Rodriguez and/or Sharp come in and get smoked for a few starts.

As long as Fedde/Gray/Corbin stay healthy, we will just see a rotating door of the above mentioned prospects for the rest of the year with Espino mixed in here and there. Wake me up for Spring Training..

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37: June 18, 2022, 12:56:05 PM »
Gonna jinx Gray, but I am very pleased with him.  I think he's a #2-#3, not top of the rotation except for a very bad team. 

One of the gripes I have about this year is it was obvious that the staff was short about 150-200 innings from its starters.  There was an obvious need for an MLB average innings eater for this year and likely next, and there were plenty of names that could have been pursued and not blown the budget out of the water.  Several folks were onto Tyler Anderson, for example, who has been much better than expected on a 1 year, $8 million contract.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: June 18, 2022, 12:57:22 PM »
Lee is getting an MRI on his pitching arm. 

:pray:

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #39: June 18, 2022, 01:20:38 PM »
Gonna jinx Gray, but I am very pleased with him.  I think he's a #2-#3, not top of the rotation except for a very bad team. 

One of the gripes I have about this year is it was obvious that the staff was short about 150-200 innings from its starters.  There was an obvious need for an MLB average innings eater for this year and likely next, and there were plenty of names that could have been pursued and not blown the budget out of the water.  Several folks were onto Tyler Anderson, for example, who has been much better than expected on a 1 year, $8 million contract.
Gray either needs to greatly improve his command, or re-shape his fastball into offerings that have movement. Oh and spend the offseason eating massive amounts of protein and power lifting his legs.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #40: June 18, 2022, 02:27:52 PM »
Gray either needs to greatly improve his command, or re-shape his fastball into offerings that have movement. Oh and spend the offseason eating massive amounts of protein and power lifting his legs.
Is there something you see in his leg drive that makes you think he needs to work on building that?  Show him Tom Seaver videos.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #41: June 18, 2022, 03:00:40 PM »
He just needs as much velo as possible at this point. 93-94 is pretty meh in today's game

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42: July 14, 2022, 05:26:45 PM »

An interesting article focusing on non-velocity factors that make Strider's fastball so much more effective than Greene's.  Vertical movement, stride, release point discussed.  Slate's been pounding on shaping pitches as a factor in success, so I thought this discussion helps bring out the point.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/what-separates-spencer-strider-from-hunter-greene/

Long ago, scouts judged fastballs based on their velocities. The harder a pitcher threw, the better his fastball. We’re still inclined toward velocity, and it’s through this simple and widespread measure that Strider and Greene seem equal. But dig deeper, and the superficiality begins to fade away. Compared to Greene, it’s Strider who not only creates more vertical movement, but also unleashes it through a lower release point and lengthier extension. His approach angle is flatter as a result, giving the illusion of rise.

The importance of vertical movement, release point, and extension isn’t revolutionary — the baseball industry caught up to it years ago — and yet, I’m not sure if these variables are being emphasized enough. This year, our top prospect lists pegged both Greene and Strider as having 80-grade fastballs. Eric Longenhagen and others did take shape into consideration, and I have the utmost respect for their hard work. But in retrospect, I don’t think Greene warrants the coveted 80 mark. His velocity is generational, but it doesn’t quite make up for the myriad flaws he has, a fact reflected in his inability to stifle opposing batters.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #43: August 02, 2022, 11:26:19 PM »
https://www.masnsports.com/blog/new-look-nats-follow-up-soto-trade-with-win-over-mets
“Basically our motto is: Don't let the Red Wings get hot," said Abbott

Abbott goes 5 IP scoreless and drops the best quote of a tough day  :hysterical: :hysterical: