Author Topic: Wilmington Blue Rocks (A+) 2022  (Read 427 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Re: Wilmington Blue Rocks (A+) 2022
« Topic Start: August 03, 2022, 01:43:39 PM »
I got tickets to a couple of games later this month. 
Can anyone give me the skinny on the park there?  Do the players interact with the kids?  Is there a good spot to stand for autographs?
Also, if anyone has tips on where to stay, eat, or things to do in the area, any input will be much appreciated. 
Thanks!

My in-laws lived in Wilmington and then in Arden, just north of Wilmington. The best cheese steaks are to be found in the Claymont Steak Shop, on Rte 13 just north of the city and south of Marcus Hook. Claymont, incidentally, is where Joes Biden has lived for a long time, and there was a picture of Biden last I was there. Marcus Hook was the hometown of Mickey Vernon, my first baseball hero and two-time AL batting champ for the Nats.

Mickey was given to the Red Sox by Calvin Griffith in what looks like a massive salary dump, and, yes, I cried. Nats got Tex Clevenger and a bunch of nobodies. Vernon, who had hit .301 with .835 OPS in 1955, at age 37, then hit .310 with .914 OPS for Boston. Washington did not have a 1b until they tried moving Roy Sievers to first in 1959.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vernomi01.shtml