Author Topic: Harrisburg Senators (AA) 2022  (Read 305 times)

Offline wj73

Re: Harrisburg Senators (AA) 2022
« Topic Start: August 05, 2022, 07:57:32 PM »
Caught the Harrisburg-Bay Sox game Wednesday night.

Hadn’t been there since April. One thing that struck me was how many Senators players were a bit on the chunky side. Like Kirby Puckett or Pablo Sandoval. Not just the catcher (which you might expect) but also the 1st and 3rd basemen, and the right fielder. It was . . . strange. The 3rd baseman (Meregildo) missed a couple of balls hit his way - one a grounder that got under his glove, and one a liner just over his head - that I thought maybe a fitter player might have had an easier time bending down or jumping up to catch.

Overall, the I thought Senators did not look nearly as crisp as the division leading Bay Sox. The Senators did turn one excellent 3-6-3 double play, but did not turn another that they should have. There was also some sloppy base running.

But the hitting seemed solid. They got 8 hits, and though they ended up losing 6-4, they never looked out of it.

I do love the thought pitch clock. That speeds up the game nicely. The home plate umpire gave the pitchers a few extra courtesy seconds, but when one of the Senators pitchers (forget who) went beyond that, the umpire called a ball. Good to see the rule being enforced.

And as I mentioned in another thread, Jen Pawol was the home plate umpire. I wish her all the best. She called an excellent game. Looking to see her in the majors in the near future.