Author Topic: Liam Welch pulls off unassisted triple play. How's you grandson, Skippy?  (Read 249 times)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I spoke to my grandson, and son, yesterday. Son, aka Redskin Dan v1978, mentioned that Liam pulled off an unassisted triple play last summer. Liam was pitching. Batter hit a line-drive back to him. He dashed home to catch the runner from third, who had not tagged up, then whirled and thre to first to double the runner on first who was trying to get back to the bag.

This is my grandson who imitates Juan Soto in everything he does, especially including his batting stance.

So what's new with you grandchildren, Skippy?

(Just pausing in this slow baseball time. I can't remember where Skippy and I put this the last time we talked kids and baseball. Please move it wherever it really belongs)

Offline Senatorswin

I remember laying on the couch of my grandmother and listening to a Senators game on my transistor radio in the late 60's. It was first and second with nobody out, The Senators were in the field. The batter hit a line drive up the middle. Ron Hansen, playing short, grabbed the line drive, touched second for the out and ran down the guy on first who had been thinking the ball was going to go through. An unassisted triple play. Strange the things we remember 50 some years later.

Offline Duke of Earl

I remember laying on the couch of my grandmother and listening to a Senators game on my transistor radio in the late 60's. It was first and second with nobody out, The Senators were in the field. The batter hit a line drive up the middle. Ron Hansen, playing short, grabbed the line drive, touched second for the out and ran down the guy on first who had been thinking the ball was going to go through. An unassisted triple play. Strange the things we remember 50 some years later.
I remember the Ron Hansen unassisted triple play as if it were yesterday.  and I vaguely recall that we had recently acquired him, from the white sox, along with Dennis Higgins, for several nobodies.  I recall it was 1968, because it was the last year before Ted Williams became Senator manager, and Higgins was his favorite reliever.  And of course the last year before Bob Short.  The Senators front office made some good moves in the 60s, until Short showed up. He had no idea what he was doing but insisted on being the GM.  Reminds me of Snyder.

Offline welch

I remember that play, too. Pretty famous by now, an unassisted triple play. I think I had Hansen's baseball card in 1959, probably a Topps "Rookie Star". I looked him up: Rookie of the Year in 1960, but never much of a hitter.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hansero02.shtml

Offline welch

And I remember the Tom Cheney strikeout game, as I listened in our basement in Lewisdale. For that matter, I remember listening to the Nats radio when our bonus baby, Harmon Killebrew, hit his first home run. Radio is special.

Offline Senatorswin

And I remember the Tom Cheney strikeout game, as I listened in our basement in Lewisdale. For that matter, I remember listening to the Nats radio when our bonus baby, Harmon Killebrew, hit his first home run. Radio is special.

I grew up near Lewisdale in Chillum. Played little league in Green Meadows.

Offline welch

I grew up near Lewisdale in Chillum. Played little league in Green Meadows.

I played for Lewisdale Boys Club. We played Green Meadows twice a year. They had a pitcher named Tom Plumb who was very good, but I can't remember other names.

Offline Duke of Earl

I listened to the Cheney game, on my transistor radio, turned very low and hidden under the sheets, in bed. I think it ended around 2 AM. 16 innings.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Hi Welch! My grandson is playing travel ball so LOTS of games! He’s still a great fielder, plays either shortstop second or right field, but his hitting needs some work. My daughter has already given up on a major league career for him-he’s but even 8 yet :lmao: most importantly to me he still loves it, both playing and watching with his grandma :)