Author Topic: Cherry Blossom Uniforms  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Five Banners

Re: Cherry Blossom Uniforms
« Topic Start: March 29, 2022, 07:14:28 PM »
? I'm not sure I have never heard a local call the city Washington. If someone here said, "I'm going to Washington tomorrow" I'd assume they were flying to the state. DC, the District, the City, downtown, etc.

Usually when someone says, "So, you're from Washington?" I know I've ventured too far South or West and the conversation is about to take an awkward turn.

In decades in this area on both sides have the river,  I seem to recall numerous people — whether they were from here, relocated here, or visiting — using the term Washington in the singular while referencing the city, and when they were talking about the state, they often specified Washington state.

This is especially as the news generally references just “Washington“ at the end of untold stories – – even at the Pentagon (where it even says just “Washington“ on the news podium despite being in Arlington), and when they would change that to refer to the state by name, it stands to reason that they would often tend to specify ‘Washington state’.