Author Topic: Roster moves - 2022  (Read 14510 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: Roster moves - 2022
« Reply #100: April 15, 2022, 04:21:04 PM »
Nats claim Josh Palacios from the Blue Jays. Looks like minor league depth at this point:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/palacjo01.shtml

Robles is gone soon.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #101: April 15, 2022, 04:22:20 PM »
Robles is gone soon.

This is probably to backfill Casey.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #102: April 15, 2022, 05:28:11 PM »
This is probably to backfill Casey.

When MASN lets Frandsen basically openly rip Robles, and even Bob makes a comment about how "usually we don't see the CF throw the ball to the right base" and Davey and Rizzo can barely hide their disdain for him, it's only a matter of days or couple weeks.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #103: April 15, 2022, 05:36:10 PM »
Is there another team that would even toss us a 23 year old reliever in Low A for him?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #104: April 15, 2022, 05:54:23 PM »
Is there another team that would even toss us a 23 year old reliever in Low A for him?
Easily

Offline catocony

« Reply #105: April 15, 2022, 09:28:22 PM »
Easily

There's no need to trade him, just keep him in the minors to see if he can figure it out.  The same with Kieboom.  Don't ditch a player that you're not paying much money and can keep in the minors on option for a season or two. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #106: April 15, 2022, 10:01:16 PM »
There's no need to trade him, just keep him in the minors to see if he can figure it out.  The same with Kieboom.  Don't ditch a player that you're not paying much money and can keep in the minors on option for a season or two. 
your maklar is maklar, young maklar.

No need to give up on either, but gove them time in AAA to kick the door open with their performance rather than just let them play in mlb regardless of performance

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #107: April 16, 2022, 10:28:01 AM »
your maklar is maklar, young maklar.

No need to give up on either, but gove them time in AAA to kick the door open with their performance rather than just let them play in mlb regardless of performance

Honestly I'd consider sending Robles to AA.  He needs a level he can tear things up and start believing he can hit again.  He looks deer-in-headlights right now and needs to remember what it's like to rake.

Online imref

« Reply #108: April 20, 2022, 01:36:23 PM »
Sam Clay recalled, No word yet on the corresponding move.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109: April 20, 2022, 01:44:30 PM »
Sam Clay recalled, No word yet on the corresponding move.
Claytus the slack-jawed reliever. 

Still no Clippard sighting. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #110: April 20, 2022, 02:41:28 PM »
Doo is hurt

Sam Clay coming up and getting daily appearances only to get ass blasted is what we like to call a Rizzo special.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #111: April 20, 2022, 03:38:28 PM »
Claytus the slack-jawed reliever. 

Still no Clippard sighting.

My personal theory is that Clay isn't even lefthanded, but failed as a righty so changed his name and realized that he could throw meatballs all day as long as he threw them with the correct arm.

Online imref

« Reply #112: April 20, 2022, 03:49:43 PM »
Via Dave Preston: "Nats recall lefthanded pitchers Sam Clay & Francisco Perez from AAA while optioning OF Donovan Casey to Rochester."

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #113: April 20, 2022, 03:57:24 PM »
Via Dave Preston: "Nats recall lefthanded pitchers Sam Clay & Francisco Perez from AAA while optioning OF Donovan Casey to Rochester."
Let Clay and Perez get some appearances and after a week whichever guy is worse gets DFA'd and Clippard takes the roster spot and is called up?

I don't mind Casey being sent down. Let him play everyday. The OF is busy with Robles showing some life and Yadiel Hernandez needing more ABs. Fox can play CF in a crunch.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #114: April 20, 2022, 04:32:27 PM »
Let Clay and Perez get some appearances and after a week whichever guy is worse gets DFA'd and Clippard takes the roster spot and is called up?

I'd rather put them in a trash can for a week and whichever one (if either) comes out alive at the end of the week gets a roster spot.  If he comes out weighing more than he did when he went in, 2-year contract.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #115: April 20, 2022, 05:30:42 PM »
I know folks are clamoring for Clippard but his ERA is 9.00 in five innings. May need more time. In contrast Clay is 0.00 in 5.2 innings.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #116: April 20, 2022, 06:24:47 PM »
I know folks are clamoring for Clippard but his ERA is 9.00 in five innings. May need more time. In contrast Clay is 0.00 in 5.2 innings.

If only either of them had track records against which to judge those small sample sizes.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #117: April 20, 2022, 06:33:51 PM »
If only either of them had track records against which to judge those small sample sizes.
Nelson Cruz has a track record also but folks say he is washed after a couple of weeks.  What have you done for me lately society. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #118: April 20, 2022, 09:12:20 PM »
Nelson Cruz has a track record also but folks say he is washed after a couple of weeks.  What have you done for me lately society.

I'm more worried about Cruz because he was garbage in the second half of last year and the ways he is failing are classic signs of a guy near the end.  Clippard was quite effective right up to the end of the season last year. 

Clay, by contrast, has never shown any sign that he might ever be an effective major league pitcher over any sustained period.  He's not young, he doesn't have good stuff, and he never put together much in the minors above high-A.  If he were righthanded, there's a decent chance he'd never have made it above AA.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #119: April 20, 2022, 09:28:18 PM »
I'm more worried about Cruz because he was garbage in the second half of last year and the ways he is failing are classic signs of a guy near the end.  Clippard was quite effective right up to the end of the season last year. 

Why do you think no contenders took a chance on Clippard?  If he does well several teams will be upset they did not.

I would like to see/hear some report on how he is pitching in addition to stats?  Same or near same velocity?  Change-up effective?  His numbers last year were down from the previous couple years where he pitched very well. 

He will be called up sometime soon I am sure--best case is he pitches well and they can trade him July. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #120: April 20, 2022, 09:31:47 PM »
Why do you think no contenders took a chance on Clippard?  If he does well several teams will be upset they did not.

I would like to see/hear some report on how he is pitching in addition to stats?  Same or near same velocity?  Change-up effective?  His numbers last year were down from the previous couple years where he pitched very well. 

He will be called up sometime soon I am sure--best case is he pitches well and they can trade him July.

He's a 37 year old righty reliever who doesn't throw hard anymore.  I'm not arguing he's some messiah, but Clippard at 50 might be a better pitcher than Sam Clay will ever be.  Sam Clay looks at Matt Grace and thinks "Damn, dude's got some filthy stuff."

And if I'm sitting there in the stands I see Clippard (if he looks anything like he did last season) I'm thinking "hey, dude's lost a lot of his fastball and can still actually pitch.  Interesting."  With Clay I'm sitting there pissed off because seats in AA are much cheaper, the players are at least as good, and the games don't take 4 hours.  Clay brings me back to the Jason Bergmann years of guys who can't even pitch to MLB hitters in video games where they play as Pedro Martinez and put it on easy mode.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #121: April 21, 2022, 07:43:59 AM »
I mean, Im also including the second half of last season in that assessment . . .

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122: April 21, 2022, 09:34:06 AM »
Cruz never got fastballs blown by him like they have been lately.  That's common among older hitters.  Maybe he can adjust, or maybe he adjusted 1st half of last year and the league caught on.  I was all in favor of signing someone to help Soto and Bell, and thought this one would work out, but it's always possible that other teams just stayed away. 

It's the old "winner's curse" in auction markets. The one who wins the auction is the one who makes the highest offer for the goods.  For wheat, you know basically what you are getting. For something like baseball performance, you basically have to believe you are right about future performance and everyone else underestimated. 

Sometimes the arrogance works (Scherzer to the Nats, Manny to the Red Sox), but more often than not it doesn't and you end up with some overpayment.  Sometimes you are OK with that because you are valuing something other than just performance (e.g., credibility - see Werth to the Nats, Pudge to the Tigers and Nats).  Maybe Cruz's value is something other than his performance, like pleasing Soto with a guy he respects as a knowledgeable hitter even if his performance is tailing.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #123: April 21, 2022, 09:38:51 AM »
Cruz never got fastballs blown by him like they have been lately.  That's common among older hitters.  Maybe he can adjust, or maybe he adjusted 1st half of last year and the league caught on.  I was all in favor of signing someone to help Soto and Bell, and thought this one would work out, but it's always possible that other teams just stayed away.

It's the old "winner's curse" in auction markets. The one who wins the auction is the one who makes the highest offer for the goods.  For wheat, you know basically what you are getting. For something like baseball performance, you basically have to believe you are right about future performance and everyone else underestimated.

Sometimes the arrogance works (Scherzer to the Nats, Manny to the Red Sox), but more often than not it doesn't and you end up with some overpayment.  Sometimes you are OK with that because you are valuing something other than just performance (e.g., credibility - see Werth to the Nats, Pudge to the Tigers and Nats).  Maybe Cruz's value is something other than his performance, like pleasing Soto with a guy he respects as a knowledgeable hitter even if his performance is tailing.
I think Nelson Cruz is likely cooked. But I also think there is a small glimmer of hope he gets hot for a couple weeks.

But I always liked the signing and still do. It felt like a way to keep Soto happy that they were at least trying to protect him in the lineup. There are worse investments.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #124: April 21, 2022, 02:59:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/Nationals/status/1517215246120853509

Erasmo Ramirez, whose name I haven't heard in years, is now on the roster. Guess he is starting today?