Author Topic: Yankees sign stealing  (Read 373 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Yankees sign stealing
« Reply #2: March 22, 2022, 01:27:46 PM »
Get it all out for all of them
Be careful what you wish for.  Might find that even your favorite team was looking for an edge. 

Offline hohoho

« Reply #3: March 22, 2022, 02:06:20 PM »
Be careful what you wish for.  Might find that even your favorite team was looking for an edge.
So? Let the chips fall where they may.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #4: March 22, 2022, 02:26:59 PM »

This.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #5: March 22, 2022, 02:34:20 PM »
I mean the Astros had a sophisticated scheme that went on for years and no penalties to them as a team.  So who cares about less serious transgressions.  As long as there are signs people will try and steal them.  Will the Giants be forced to give up their title the year Thompson hit the pennant winning HR?  Well documented the Giants were stealing signs most of that year.  Was Durocher banned from the HOF for that?  Just focus on making it harder going forward.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #6: March 22, 2022, 02:38:46 PM »
I mean the Astros had a sophisticated scheme that went on for years and no penalties to them as a team.  So who cares about less serious transgressions.  As long as there are signs people will try and steal them.  Will the Giants be forced to give up their title the year Thompson hit the pennant winning HR?  Well documented the Giants were stealing signs most of that year.  Was Durocher banned from the HOF for that?  Just focus on making it harder going forward.

I just had amusing thought-meander about the Nats being investigated for past transgressions, resulting in a lifetime ban for Matt Williams.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #7: March 22, 2022, 02:40:45 PM »
I just had amusing thought-meander about the Nats being investigated for past transgressions, resulting in a lifetime ban for Matt Williams.
I assume he is still managing in Korea--so he is safe!

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #8: March 22, 2022, 03:31:29 PM »

The thing with the Astros in addition to the huge extent of the transgression — reportedly involving multiple players and staff, Real-time, pitch by pitch same conveyance, etc. — was that it came after specific warnings from the commissioner related to other enhanced sign ceiling programs. Intentionality and complicity of so many was matched by smoking gun evidence, which often isn’t the case.

Manfred specified that there would be stiffer penalties going forward from that spot, thus creating the latitude for him to act on that using the best interest of baseball clause, including actions that affected the 2017 title, where the Astros just happen to have home-field advantage sewn up for two game sevens. He might not even have had to use that clause to vacate the 2017 title given his sufficient notification of the penalties that would occur, and it all could’ve occurred without stepping on the toes of the players association as far as going to suspension route. It would’ve sent an unmistakable message rather than let players committing Black Sox-level transgressions essentially get off scot-free.

Back to the Giants pennant, there could be some sort of commission to do something in the MLB history / records, though of course, most of the principals are long gone. What seems particularly galling thing was that Manfred had the opportunity to do the right thing in real time and send the message, not appear to take pages from the Goodell playbook as far as arguably arbitrary and capricious actions that in many ways seem to focus on burying the story and the evidence that went along with it. At least the Nationals’ win contained the stench around here to a degree.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: March 22, 2022, 05:59:51 PM »
You just have to accept that they are not going to do anything much about the cheating. Don’t get worked up about things out of your control.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #10: March 22, 2022, 06:44:27 PM »
You just have to accept that they are not going to do anything much about the cheating. Don’t get worked up about things out of your control.

Posting thoughts on message boards and chatting with people who care about the subject constitutes the current extent of my plans on the subject.

(Of course, I did express musicality on a ballpark trashcan during a 2020 Nationals-Astros spring training game in the seventh-inning stretch with much delight. Replacing the ‘clap clap clap clap’ in “Deep in the Heart of Texas” with ‘thump thump thump thump’ worked exquisitely.)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: March 22, 2022, 10:12:48 PM »
Posting thoughts on message boards and chatting with people who care about the subject constitutes the current extent of my plans on the subject.

(Of course, I did express musicality on a ballpark trashcan during a 2020 Nationals-Astros spring training game in the seventh-inning stretch with much delight. Replacing the ‘clap clap clap clap’ in “Deep in the Heart of Texas” with ‘thump thump thump thump’ worked exquisitely.)
:clap: