Author Topic: Favorite Nationals Game You've Attended  (Read 1737 times)

Offline madj55

Re: Favorite Nationals Game You've Attended
« Reply #25: March 17, 2022, 09:34:00 AM »
1. 2005 Home Opener
2. Game 4 2012 NLDS
3. Game 3 2019 NLCS
4. World Series Game 4
5. Zim’s Fathers Day Walk-off that I went to with my grandpa

Offline Painted_Black

« Reply #26: March 17, 2022, 10:43:40 AM »
Zimmerman no hitter

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #27: March 17, 2022, 10:49:26 AM »
4/14/2005.  Nothing will ever top that for me.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #28: March 17, 2022, 10:52:35 AM »
World Series Game 5. We lost, but at the time I knew it was a once in a lifetime and just soaked it in.

The games I went to with my dad.

Scherzer black eye game.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #29: March 17, 2022, 11:02:16 AM »
World Series Game 5. We lost, but at the time I knew it was a once in a lifetime and just soaked it in.

The games I went to with my dad.

Scherzer black eye game.
nice.  Game 5, when Joe Ross walked out to the bullpen and the stands went nuts for him, was such an authentic "this crowd gets it" moment. 

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #30: March 17, 2022, 01:05:37 PM »
Oh yeah, as far as memorable Scherzer injuries go there was a game against the Phillies, I think, where he took a comebacker to the knee or lower leg. He fell off the mound and was on the ground for a bit. My wife, a nurse, told me that to her it looked like a broken leg.

Scherzer got up, walked around the mound a bit while yelling, and then pitched effectively the rest of the game. He had an immaculate inning later in the game, which I missed because I was on the concourse getting nachos.

Years from now, Scherzer is the guy from the 2010's Nationals that I will be telling random strangers stories about. What a guy.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #31: March 17, 2022, 02:50:42 PM »
1. 2019 wildcard against the Brewers. So. Damned. Loud. Stras was surreal (that game alone made him worth his contract as far as I'm concerend). Soto was, well, Soto. Went with my son.
2. JZ's no-no.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #32: March 17, 2022, 03:49:30 PM »
I went to game 3 of the 2019 NLCS and remember thinking that that might be Stras's last home start in a Nats uniform.  I would have seen the beginning and possibly the end.  I didn't expect the last 2 seasons of crash and burn.  So hoping this is a good year for him.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #33: March 17, 2022, 04:31:46 PM »
wow.  I had forgotten that Clint Robinson had been a useful piece the prior year.  Looks like he had one of his best games of his career that day.  Prime Murphy, too.
Yeah, I went with some friends that live in Kansas City and were big Royals fans. They were still living in the wake of their World Series runs, so the crowds were good, too. They had split the two games before and the Nats jumped out to a quick lead. Stras pitched well, too. I went to all 3 games. Fun series all around.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #34: March 17, 2022, 05:10:41 PM »
haven't seen it listed yet, but my second favorite was the season ending game in 2010, when Justin Maxwell hit a walk-off grand-slam against K-Rod and the Mets.

The Nats were awful that year, the Mets were heading to the playoffs IIRC. Maxwell fouled off the pitch just before the HR and it landed behind us. The fan who caught it gave it to my son.

There wasn't much to cheer for that year, but it was a nice way to end the season.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #35: March 17, 2022, 06:13:15 PM »

- Zimm's walkoff against the Yankees in 2006. Was that Father's day?

- Game 3, 2019 NLCS, the Howie Did It game, when Strasburg throttled the Cardinals.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #36: March 17, 2022, 07:14:49 PM »
Difficult to say.  I've attended many of the games cited by others, Zimm walk offs, Werth HR game, 2019 wildcard, etc., but the special feeling of being at RFK for the home opener for the return of MLB to DC after 34 years is hard to beat.

The most emotional moment for me at a game was the MLB return to RFK in 2005 when Brad Wilkerson walked out to left field, took the glove from Frank Howard and Howard slowly walked off the field. The last time I had seen Hondo on the RFK field prior to that he was hitting a line drive home run off of the center field clock in 1971.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #37: March 19, 2022, 08:12:36 PM »
The RFK opener in 2005 remains high on the list, but in some ways the second game two days later meant more. Reason: It made it real that THIS time the team was staying and it wasn’t a one-game exhibition.

Strasburg's debut is high on the list because it was one of the first times the team gave us a real reason to get excited about the future. Let’s face it, for the 2005 opener you could have put Charlie Brown's team out there in "WASHINGTON" uniforms and people would have gone nuts. Strasburg's debut was different in that respect.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38: March 19, 2022, 08:23:33 PM »
2019 Wild Card game. No other nats game comes remotely close for me.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #39: March 19, 2022, 08:28:20 PM »
2019 Wild Card game. No other nats game comes remotely close for me.

Yup. It was so loud, Strasburg was so good, and Soto cemented himself as a star.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #40: March 19, 2022, 08:37:58 PM »

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #41: March 19, 2022, 08:50:44 PM »
That’s tough. Probably the 2019 WC game - it looked hopeless for seven innings and then came what may have been the most exciting inning of baseball I’ve watched. Runners up include Zim Fathers Day walkoff (my first Nats game!), Nats Park opener, Strasburg’s debut, JZimm no-hitter, Scherzer’s 20Ks and 2012 NLDS Game 4 (Werth’s walk-off).

Honorable mention will always go to the game where the Nats clinched their first playoff berth in 2012. It was a Thursday night against the Dodgers. A week or so earlier, I had seen something on the MLB Network site asking for people to send in video clips to audition for doing the voiceover for the opening segment of their broadcast of that particular Nats-Dodgers game. I figured why not and I had a co-worker film me on my phone and I submitted it. Didn’t hear back and didn’t think anything of it. But - while I was at the previous night’s game - I got a voicemail from someone at the network. It was too late to call back but I shot her an email and (after a sleepless night) as soon as she replied just after 7:00am I gave her a call. By noon, I was at Nats Park. I got to go to the TV booth to do the recording and they showed a clip of me introducing myself at the end of it. It was really cool. Afterwards they gave me a tour of the truck and the clubhouse along with tickets for the game right behind the dugout. I also recorded another short clip that they played coming back from a break and Brian Kenny even gave me a shoutout and the camera showed me and my friend for a sec.

The crazy thing is at some point during that chaotic day someone told me MLB Network was trying to get Frank Howard to do the clips but something must’ve come up. So I tell everyone I once pinch-hit for a baseball legend :)

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #42: October 15, 2022, 06:21:37 PM »
Three years ago tonight:

Offline catocony

« Reply #43: October 21, 2022, 03:31:46 PM »
My favorites are two away games.

One, think back in 2011, at Your Name Here stadium in Miami Gardens.  Tyler Clippard pitched two innings, faced 6 Marlines, threw 22 pitches total, and got 6 strikeouts.  Amazing

Two, the Dodger afternoon game at Dodger Stadium that went 14 innings or whatever and Adam Lazurus LaRoche rose from the dead in the locker room to hit the game winner.  A lot of guys on the boards gave Jason Werth a hard time for missing a ball in the sun but I was sitting down the 1st base line when he missed that ball and I couldn't see home plate for the sun, much less a batted ball.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #44: October 21, 2022, 04:45:19 PM »
Three years ago tonight:

Thank you for that.  Was at that game and it was the first playoff game I'd been to since the 2012 game 5 implosion.  Both were an amazing experience for very different reasons.

Offline welch

« Reply #45: October 21, 2022, 05:23:36 PM »
1. Zimmerman walkoff homer against the Yankees, 2006: I'd had a ticket for Father's Day, 2005, but had a massive heart attack. Took my daughter's gift, a Harmon Killebrew 1959-'60 shirt, number 3, autographed by Harmon himself. Wife came along to keep an eye on me. Other than Opening Day, I'd never seen DC Stadium / RFK so full of baseball fans. In the 9th inning, the new kid at 3B, playing Killebrew's old position, did a Harmon and belted a two-run homer into the visitor's bullpen.

[All around, a strange game. I had been a Yankee and, sometimes, Met fan during the Nats' long road trip from 1972 through 2004. Daughter had grown up a Yankee fan in the 1990s, the great Joe Torre era. Now my hometown had a team again. In the 1990s, I would do a search for "Washington Senators" that would return the members of the US Senate from the State of Washington. Finally found a book, by David Gough, called "They've Stolen our Team: the 1960 Washington Senators". That led to the Washington Baseball Historical Society and "Nats News", showing that there were still people who remembered. Then I found some photos of the Expansion Senators posted by "Big Bruno". Then, around 2002 or 2003, I read an email list in which a woman known as here as "CalsGr8" was organizing people to demonstrated against the owner of our guests, the Baltimore Orioles, who was claiming that Washington DC, founding city of the American League, was property of the Bush League Baltimore Orioles. I had watched as other bush league towns, like Miami and Tampa and Denver and Phoenix got expansion teams, passing over Washington. That was the town that had gotten three Super Bowl wins playing at RFK Stadium, a stadium built for baseball and football. Then, Washington had a team.]

2. August, 2012, a day game in which Detwiler set down the Braves in the game where Dan Uglla leaped to demolish Chipper Jones. A weekend series when the almighty Braves were expected to squash the upstart New Nats. Ha! Daugyhter and I had tickets near the camera-well beside the Nats dugout. Watched Stephen Strasburg sign baseball after baseball for little kids. Strasburg's face was red, and he was sweating -- classic Washington baseball weather. He hadn't pitched...he could have been in the clubhouse, but he stood by the kids. A baseball hero.

3. Game 3, 2019 NL Championship Series. Strasburg mowed down the Cardinals. Howie K. hit double after double. We were in the second deck, RF, just behind some Cardinal fans and beside some Cardinal fans. Son, a Washington fan of course, lives outside St Louis, where he had endured years of Cardinal fans' "sympathy" for 2012. I thought about that as one set of Cardinal fans left about the sixth inning, and the others said, with lowered voices, "I hope we win one game, at least". We know that they didn't.

4. Game 5, 2019 World Series. What Washingtonian would have imagined, in 1953, when I watched the Old Nats on TV, Channel 5, Dumont Network, with the great Bob Wolf, that our team would win a pennant and play in the World Series? Max had neck spasms, so It looked grim, but it was the World Series in my hometown! Grandad saw Walter Johnson, Dad took me to Opening Day, 1954, when Clark Griffith himself (Hall of Fame) still ran the team, and Bucky Harris (Hall of Fame) had come back to manage the team. Griff and Bucky were the same pair that had led the team to the 1924 World Series championship. As daughter and I drove around the Beltway on our way to NYC, we talked over the next two games.  Strasburg can win Game 6, we thought, but it will be tough back in Houston. And who will pitch Game 7? Now we know.

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #46: October 22, 2022, 09:14:34 AM »
I attended one Nats game in my life and they lost bad, so I suppose that’s the one.  I did attend a few Senators game back in the 60s as a young pup, do they count?

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #47: October 22, 2022, 05:57:22 PM »
I attended one Nats game in my life and they lost bad, so I suppose that’s the one.  I did attend a few Senators game back in the 60s as a young pup, do they count?

Yes they do. Maybe the question should of been best Washington baseball game you attended.

Offline welch

« Reply #48: October 25, 2022, 06:17:11 PM »
- May 16, 1959. Somebody's dad took a car-load of us early enough to see batting practice. We sat in the LF bleachers, a mere 350 feet from home plate, as the Nats' "Modern Murderer's Row" blasted BP fastballs all around us. Nobody else was foolish enough to get to the game early, so we had our pick. I got a baseball that rolled down from a higher section.

Camilo Pascual carried a no-hitter into the 8th, while the Nats bashed the A's. Home runs by Bob Allison and big Jim Lemon, a couple of hits each by Roy Sievers, Remo Bertoia, Ron Samford (!), and by Camilo himself gave the Nats a comfortable 7 - 0 lead going into the 8th. Yes, it was a day game, but the sun and heat did not bother a bunch of 10-year-olds watch the Nats kick the daylights out of KC. Then Bob Cerv, the A's slugger, their LF playing just in front of us and about ten feet down, doubled on a line-drive that clonked off the wall in front of us. We yelled our lungs out when Cerv too the field in the bottom of the 8th. He ignored us.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WS1/WS1195905160.shtml

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #49: October 25, 2022, 09:30:55 PM »
- May 16, 1959. Somebody's dad took a car-load of us early enough to see batting practice. We sat in the LF bleachers, a mere 350 feet from home plate, as the Nats' "Modern Murderer's Row" blasted BP fastballs all around us. Nobody else was foolish enough to get to the game early, so we had our pick. I got a baseball that rolled down from a higher section.

Camilo Pascual carried a no-hitter into the 8th, while the Nats bashed the A's. Home runs by Bob Allison and big Jim Lemon, a couple of hits each by Roy Sievers, Remo Bertoia, Ron Samford (!), and by Camilo himself gave the Nats a comfortable 7 - 0 lead going into the 8th. Yes, it was a day game, but the sun and heat did not bother a bunch of 10-year-olds watch the Nats kick the daylights out of KC. Then Bob Cerv, the A's slugger, their LF playing just in front of us and about ten feet down, doubled on a line-drive that clonked off the wall in front of us. We yelled our lungs out when Cerv too the field in the bottom of the 8th. He ignored us.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/WS1/WS1195905160.shtml

Camilo Pascual's batting average was .294.