Author Topic: 2022 MLB Regular Season  (Read 8283 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: 2022 MLB Regular Season
« Reply #300: September 14, 2022, 10:38:58 PM »
Neither the Brewers nor the Padres seem particularly interested in the third wild card spot

Online Slateman

« Reply #301: September 24, 2022, 01:11:45 AM »
Shelby Miller made his season debut for the Giants.

Yes, that Shelby Miller

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #302: September 24, 2022, 10:31:52 AM »
Shelby Miller made his season debut for the Giants.

Yes, that Shelby Miller
since 2012, he's made appearances every year except 2020, but has only topped 25 innings once since 2016, and has not had an ERA under 4 over that period. He's still only 31.  Was traded for Jayson Heyward in 11/14 then for Dansby Swanson, Ender Inciarte,  plus another highly regarded prospect in 12/15.  All Star in 2015 for the Braves while leading the majors in losses. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #303: September 24, 2022, 03:40:08 PM »
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1573743525459533825?s=46&t=lDIJQEq-nJRbfAW2KNhLfg

Weird how clubs are able to lock guys up before gree agency and on somewhat team friendly discounts

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #304: September 24, 2022, 03:51:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1573743525459533825?s=46&t=lDIJQEq-nJRbfAW2KNhLfg

Weird how clubs are able to lock guys up before gree agency and on somewhat team friendly discounts
It's almost like such contracts are worth it for the team and the player.  But of course, there's no deferrals.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #305: September 28, 2022, 09:08:53 PM »
So I am watching the rain delay in the tb at Cleveland game. Tb broadcast. I'm wondering if anyone else even has the power to watch

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #306: September 28, 2022, 09:13:15 PM »

Online Slateman

« Reply #307: September 28, 2022, 09:48:48 PM »
61*

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #308: September 28, 2022, 10:01:41 PM »
61*

I can see Billy Crystal writing a made-for-TV movie starring Stanton as Judge and Judge as Stanton

Online Slateman

« Reply #309: September 28, 2022, 10:06:42 PM »
I can see Billy Crystal writing a made-for-TV movie starring Stanton as Judge and Judge as Stanton
Alex Cora as Yankee manager Aaron Boone

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #310: October 02, 2022, 01:00:53 PM »
O's eliminated.  BJs and Guardians will host TB and Seattle.  Placings still up in the air, but Seattle is ahead.

NL - in the East, Barves up a game on the NYM for the East, and Philth a game up on the Brewers for the final WC spot. The Soto/Bells are 2 games up on the Philthies for 2d wild card and the right to face a PO'd runner up from the east instead of the Cards. 

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #311: October 02, 2022, 08:04:36 PM »
Oof. Watching Milwaukee gag away their season in extras versus the Fishies was rough.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #312: October 02, 2022, 08:55:02 PM »
Oof. Watching Milwaukee gag away their season in extras versus the Fishies was rough.
It’s interesting that my MLB App thinks their elimination number is 2 when it is actually 1. They lose a tie with the Phillies. As best I can tell the ESPN crew has not figured it out either.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #313: October 02, 2022, 09:57:56 PM »
Milwaukee, gagging, and fishies have all been on minds these past few weeks thanks to Netflix.  But yeah, that was rough.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #314: October 03, 2022, 07:10:06 AM »
Milwaukee, gagging, and fishies have all been on minds these past few weeks thanks to Netflix.  But yeah, that was rough.
Thought it was kind of fun!

:couch:

Offline hotshot

« Reply #315: October 03, 2022, 08:01:05 AM »
Braves draw over 3 million. Have 41 sellout crowds. Have done/are doing a great job locking up their key guys contract-wise. Farm continues to produce top young talent year after year. Free agent signings pan out.

Am I envious? Yep. What are we doing wrong?

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #316: October 03, 2022, 09:26:36 AM »
Braves draw over 3 million. Have 41 sellout crowds. Have done/are doing a great job locking up their key guys contract-wise. Farm continues to produce top young talent year after year. Free agent signings pan out.

Am I envious? Yep. What are we doing wrong?

Attendance wise, the Braves relocated from a ballpark that had plenty of years left in it to a place that they thought would maximize attendance. Ownership here has appeared extremely reactive when it comes to fixes that would mitigate the site drawbacks (the “people will just take Metro” sentiment expressed by planners when the parking question came up in the planning phase, along with choosing a site along one of the least used lines for the fanbase and a station size that remains problematic for handling capacity for decent size crowds).

Recall all of the fails when it came to ownership making sure that they had late-game service agreements with Metro back in the days when Metro actually functioned. Then recall how when the new construction around the ballpark was finally filling in around 2019, Metro went into frequent shut down and reduced service mode, which continues to persist. Where was the city / Events DC and ownership leading up to the ball park footprint development filling out? Where were they as far as proactively handling things such as citing more crowd – centered garage structures that could serve both the Nats and DC United, as the notion that Metro was ever going to be adequate to handle high capacity crowds there seemed more wrong than ever?

Going to the team side, we go back to the ownership decision by committee issue that seem to slow down things. We go back to the apparent initial priority of saving money by deferring sinking much more money into the club over the initial buy-in fee and taking payroll levels to below what they were when MLB essentially owned the club, despite the free gift of a ballpark and much if the revenue from activity within the ballpark.

Tampa, the Marlins, and even the Expos were already doing things on the personnel side that showed ways to build and be competitive by investing in scouting and staying consistent organization wide with the philosophy. Did new ownership prioritize landing and keeping some of the personnel in place to do that versus saving costs there as well? In lieu of spending on the payroll and free agents at the start, did they instead initially sink their money into international signings of comparatively lower cost? Did they target what would’ve been relative bargains as far as signing players over slot while they still could have, which would’ve landed them Trout instead of Storen, which some discussed at the time only to have club priorities apparently emerge?

Even beyond the early years, how much have they invested in there training and medical staffing throughout the organization as well as coaches, scouting, etc. versus getting entrenched with Boras and get into the deferral games? Had they sufficiently done the former, they could’ve still gone in on their window from 2012 to 2019 yet conceivably had at least some serviceable options that could’ve let them stay somewhat competitive and reload rather than have to gut everything.

Of course, having the MASN matter hanging over everything cannot be dismissed as a factor. However, it was one of the realities that baseball had created going into it, and along with Selig’s essentially fixing the price of the team at a threshold by reportedly capping the sales price, it appeared to limit the initial price versus what it would have been had the team been able to have their own RSN.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #317: October 03, 2022, 10:10:08 AM »
Five Banners, Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Watching last night's Mets-Braves game was such a start contrast in where the teams are, as an organization, and all the "questions" swirling around ours at seasons' end.

2019 is receding a bit in to memory but ... was Nats Park ever as "energized" and loud in any of our WS games as the ATL crowd was last night? (And that's comparing a WS game to a regular season "big game.")

To all the Nats fans who braved the weather for the Sat night game against the Phils, much respect!

When the Nats were at RFK, I attended about 15 games a year. An easy drive in from the Annapolis area and plentiful, easily accessible parking. At Nats Park, I go to a couple games a year. 

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #318: October 03, 2022, 11:16:13 AM »
Five Banners, Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Watching last night's Mets-Braves game was such a start contrast in where the teams are, as an organization, and all the "questions" swirling around ours at seasons' end.

2019 is receding a bit in to memory but ... was Nats Park ever as "energized" and loud in any of our WS games as the ATL crowd was last night? (And that's comparing a WS game to a regular season "big game.")

To all the Nats fans who braved the weather for the Sat night game against the Phils, much respect!

When the Nats were at RFK, I attended about 15 games a year. An easy drive in from the Annapolis area and plentiful, easily accessible parking. At Nats Park, I go to a couple games a year. 

Yep, the energy seemed to be there. While I sat in the stands yesterday with winter weather gear, I was recalling the regular season games in 2019 down the stretch where they were busy sweeping the Phillies over five games. (As someone should’ve told Anthony Rendon who reportedly was lamenting crowd size for much of the season, much of the metro heading south was shut down, so that did impact numbers — as well as many epic collapses, but people were getting into it.) Usually by the time the Nationals for winning their division titles, everything was wrapped up pretty early, so I don’t recall many back-and-forths in the division like what’s going on between the Mets and Braves now. However, the 2014 no-hitter from Jordan Zimmermann on the last day of the season is the team headed into the playoffs seemed as energized as it could get.

Just listen to the crowd surges on the broadcasts for the wildcard, the early parts of the Dodgers game three, lots of Dodgers game four, and both NLCS home games. World Series Game three seemed loud throughout, and game four had its moments as well despite the cratering. World Series game five had an annoying influx of Astros fans and seemed to have some sitting on the hands from where I was located. I wonder how many people who bought tix mainly to be at a big local event dumped their tickets to make $$$ when Max wasn’t starting.

Previous series had it going on too, unquestionably game four of the 2012 NLDS with the Werth homer. Game five had lots of explosions when building their six-nothing lead. 2014 had outstanding fan support, including the amount that stayed for the 18 innings. Of course by then, between them and the Caps, you were dealing with a shellshocked fan base that was no stranger to apprehension. The best thing about 2019 was after the Caps had done their thing and the Nats didn’t seem to be unduly burdened by the past epic collapses, that apprehension seem mitigated in much of the fan base by letting the team play things out and seeing if something good could happen.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #319: October 03, 2022, 12:57:43 PM »
I was at game 5 of the WS and thought the crowd was fantastic until the game got out of hand.  The ovation Joe Ross got heading to the bullpen for warmups before the game was awesome and as loud and impressive as any pregame I've been to, and I was at ballpark opening day and several division series game 5s.

• babble on
« Reply #320: October 03, 2022, 02:59:42 PM »
Game 4 had Rodney's "Fart Heard Around the World"
I was at game 5 of the WS and thought the crowd was fantastic until the game got out of hand.  The ovation Joe Ross got heading to the bullpen for warmups before the game was awesome and as loud and impressive as any pregame I've been to, and I was at ballpark opening day and several division series game 5s.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #321: October 04, 2022, 07:06:39 AM »
Phillies in for first time since 2011. WC 2 and 3 positions still to be decided. 

• babble on
« Reply #322: October 04, 2022, 02:46:52 PM »
May they shine in their moment of glory like Ashlee Simpson on SNL

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #323: October 04, 2022, 10:52:59 PM »
Verlander ends the year with a 1.75 ERA. :shock: