Author Topic: Cruz: Bringing the Boomstick  (Read 2987 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Cruz: Bringing the Boomstick
« Topic Start: March 13, 2022, 03:54:55 PM »
Heyman says the Nats are a finalist for Neslon Cruz.

Offline Five Banners

Heyman says the Nats are a finalist for Neslon Cruz.

42 in July with Biogenesis baggage, yay

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
42 in July with Biogenesis baggage, yay

Cruz is still ridiculously productive.  Jus look at his stats his last 3 years (age 39,40, and 41).  He’s aging well. 

Offline imref

$28 million for Cruz.

Offline imref

So much for rebuilding. If we’re giving Cruz $28 million I wouldn’t be surprised to see us land Bryant.

Offline madj55

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Fantastic trade bait this season.

Please go find a reliever

Offline imref

Offline DPMOmaha

I think there’s an option involved. Soto, Nelson and Bell could be a fun middle of the lineup.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Are the Nationals trying this season?

I don’t mean that sarcastically. I have no idea if they’re going for it or not. Cruz says yes. Many other things don’t.

Offline nats4ever

I don’t mean that sarcastically. I have no idea if they’re going for it or not. Cruz says yes. Many other things don’t.
Is free agency over yet to fully answer that?

Offline nats4ever

Fantastic trade bait this season.

Please go find a reliever
Rizzo don't care what you think.

Offline DPMOmaha

rizzo has maintained the whole time they’re going to try. Offense was ok last year. So maybe it will be again. Need the arms to rebound in a big way.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Worst case scenario: Cruz, cishek, finnegan, and bell are prime trade chips.  Best case: we make the playoffs because stras and Corbin are relatively ish healthy and combine for at least a sub 4.3 era

Offline Natsinpwc

This says first year is $12 million. Mutual option for second year at $16 million with $3 million buyout. He did slump end of last season but seems a good risk.

https://www.mlb.com/news/nelson-cruz-nationals-deal.html

Online rileyn

Re: Cruz: Bringing the Boomstick
« Reply #17: March 14, 2022, 07:18:48 AM »
BOOMSTICK. Will be fun to watch for a few months.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #18: March 14, 2022, 07:48:18 AM »

Rizzo is going to do what he did in the 2021 offseason. Put the team in position to compete if things go well. If not, have assets to deal at the deadline.

If Stras can make 25+ good starts. If Corbin can be a quality pitcher. If Gray can progress and turn in to a quality pitcher. If Kieboom and Robles can figure it out at the plate. Then the Nats have a shot at the playoffs.

But when/if those dominos dont fall, Nelson Cruz should get us a nice return.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #19: March 14, 2022, 08:25:31 AM »

Not a lot of downside on this deal - it serves to protect Soto and Bell in the lineup. And if protecting Soto is Rizzo's goal here, it's a smart move.

Is there such a thing as a good commercial?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #20: March 14, 2022, 08:28:14 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/03/13/nationals-nelson-cruz/

The Washington Nationals made their biggest move of the offseason Sunday night, agreeing with Nelson Cruz on a one-year deal worth $15 million guaranteed, according to two people with knowledge of the situation. The contract will not be official until all details are worked out and Cruz passes a physical.
For Soto in particular, Cruz, an all-star in 2021, could provide right-handed protection and an important voice. Cruz has been a respected clubhouse leader in stops with the Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners, Minnesota Twins, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles and Milwaukee Brewers. Soto, the Nationals’ 23-year-old star, was called the face of the team and franchise by Rizzo on Sunday.

As the negotiations grew more serious, a person close to Soto said the right fielder was “thrilled” about potentially sharing a lineup with Cruz. And keeping Soto happy, now and into the next year three years, is a crucial part of Washington’s rebuild.

I like it when Soto is happy in DC.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

This says first year is $12 million. Mutual option for second year at $16 million with $3 million buyout. He did slump end of last season but seems a good risk.

https://www.mlb.com/news/nelson-cruz-nationals-deal.html

Yeah, so that's a 1 year/$15 million contract.  That's a good deal for Rizzo.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #22: March 14, 2022, 10:20:15 AM »
Wow. It'll be interesting to see if he can continue to defy Father Time in Washington.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #23: March 14, 2022, 10:31:48 AM »
Trade bait I suppose. Maybe we catch fire and ride it to a wildcard spot with a little luck in the pitching department. 🤷‍♂️

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #24: March 14, 2022, 08:23:22 PM »
Trade bait I suppose. Maybe we catch fire and ride it to a wildcard spot with a little luck in the pitching department. 🤷‍♂️
Yes.  No.