Author Topic: The 2022 injuries thread  (Read 9969 times)

Online Natsinpwc

Re: The 2022 injuries thread
« Reply #100: May 07, 2022, 07:36:16 AM »
I hate to say it -- but Stras has become as much a prima donna as deGromm and Kershaw.  That's what separates Max from the rest.
LOL. Kershaw has pitched almost 2500 regular season innings.  Plus playoffs. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #101: May 07, 2022, 08:47:38 AM »
I hate to say it -- but Stras has become as much a prima donna as deGromm and Kershaw.  That's what separates Max from the rest. 
Okay, but literally none of those guysbare primadonnas

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #102: May 07, 2022, 09:12:34 AM »
It'll be fun to have Strasburg back. I for one am going to do my best to enjoy the two or three starts he's able to make before he gets injured again. :hysterical:

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #103: May 07, 2022, 09:41:46 AM »
It'll be fun to have Strasburg back. I for one am going to do my best to enjoy the two or three starts he's able to make before he gets injured again. :hysterical:

Unless he gets injured walking up to the mound... :hysterical:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #104: May 10, 2022, 11:33:00 AM »
Zuck says Carter Kieboom has resumed throwing.

Strasburg and Ross are throwing simulated games this week. They will each throw 2 innings, and stay in FL until they work up to 5 before heading out for rehab assignments.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #105: May 10, 2022, 12:31:56 PM »
Zuck says Carter Kieboom has resumed throwing.

Strasburg and Ross are throwing simulated games this week. They will each throw 2 innings, and stay in FL until they work up to 5 before heading out for rehab assignments.
Playoff push coming in June with Strasburg, Ross, Kieboom and Garcia.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #106: May 10, 2022, 01:02:13 PM »
PRP injections (and to a lesser extent Thoracic outlet surgery) seem to be kind of voodoo science.    I've heard of a few athletes trying the PRP stuff, but I can't recall it being successful for anyone.

Masahiro Tanaka pitched well for like 6 years after a partial UCL tear and getting PRP.  Never needed TJ.  For some guys, it puts off needing TJ for a year or two but they eventually need it (Garrett Richards and Aaron Nola fit into that camp).  It only seems to work for slight tears/sprains.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #107: May 10, 2022, 01:06:27 PM »
So Kieboom has options right? No need to bring him up until Franco gets moved. Also, unless Kieboom comes up and confidently shows he can play, does he got non-tendered this offseason?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #108: May 10, 2022, 01:18:13 PM »
So Kieboom has options right? No need to bring him up until Franco gets moved. Also, unless Kieboom comes up and confidently shows he can play, does he got non-tendered this offseason?
first year of arbitration is so cheap, I think they'd offer him a contract.  Maybe if they are really aggressive, they offer him MLB minimum, or maybe $100K over that, and if they lose, cut him during the spring.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #109: May 10, 2022, 01:19:47 PM »
Masahiro Tanaka pitched well for like 6 years after a partial UCL tear and getting PRP.  Never needed TJ.  For some guys, it puts off needing TJ for a year or two but they eventually need it (Garrett Richards and Aaron Nola fit into that camp).  It only seems to work for slight tears/sprains.
I'm guessing Doo would be happy for a year or two.  The next TJ would be tough this late in his career.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #110: May 10, 2022, 02:14:51 PM »
Tanaka also lost significant velo and relied on his other pitches though

Offline imref

« Reply #111: May 10, 2022, 02:26:19 PM »

he's only 24, they'll give him this season to recover and earn a promotion via his play at Rochester. Even if he has another crappy year, I think they give him another shot next year (again assuming he stays healthy).

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #112: May 10, 2022, 02:32:59 PM »
I'm guessing Doo would be happy for a year or two.  The next TJ would be tough this late in his career.

Yes, but this is also true:

Tanaka also lost significant velo and relied on his other pitches though

Even if PRP works, there's no guarantee it works well enough if you need 100% of what that ligament was giving you before.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113: May 10, 2022, 02:39:56 PM »
with doo, I think it's basically PRP works and pitches out the year, or it doesn't and he retires. 

BTW - I think I saw Masa is still pitching in Japan.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #114: May 10, 2022, 03:22:46 PM »
I think the bigger issue with Kieboom is hitting. Lets see if he can do that first.

Offline imref

« Reply #115: May 11, 2022, 04:51:21 PM »
Per Davey - Strasburg had no issues with his 2 inning sim game and will throw another this weekend.

FWIW, they haven't put him on the 60 day DL.....

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116: May 11, 2022, 05:32:38 PM »
Why was Alcides Escobar scratched before first pitch? He had an infection under the nail on his left index finger. In his place, Dee Strange-Gordon started at shortstop and batted seventh. Martinez told reporters that Escobar will be reevaluated Wednesday.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/05/10/nationals-mets-patrick-corbin/

Infection under his index finger on his glove hand.  Excuse to il him?  Will we see Luscious, Sanchez, or Garcia if he does go on the IL?  I still expect Garcia to be in the minors another 2 weeks at least to get an extra year of team control (a service time isseu to keep him below a second full year).

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #117: May 11, 2022, 06:14:46 PM »
Per Davey - Strasburg had no issues with his 2 inning sim game and will throw another this weekend.

FWIW, they haven't put him on the 60 day DL.....
Strasmus 3 coming soon.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #118: May 11, 2022, 07:18:39 PM »
Playoff push coming in June with Strasburg, Ross, Kieboom and Garcia.

In a perfect world maybe but by June it will probably be too late. I for one don't think this team is as bad as many here might or ss bad as their won-lost record indicates, but unless Strasburg and the rest, including Anibal, get back and get productive soon, playoffs are a pipe dream. Maybe you were joking, I dunno, but this team has a nice nucleus of vets who know how to win.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #119: May 11, 2022, 07:21:55 PM »
In a perfect world maybe but by June it will probably be too late. I for one don't think this team is as bad as many here might or ss bad as their won-lost record indicates, but unless Strasburg and the rest, including Anibal, get back and get productive soon, playoffs are a pipe dream. Maybe you were joking, I dunno, but this team has a nice nucleus of vets who know how to win.
I forgot to use the sarcasm font. 

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #120: May 11, 2022, 07:54:32 PM »
I forgot to use the sarcasm font.

I sorta figured but since I'm not familiar with the posters here...well, you know....

All I know is that compared to Manny Acta's 10-21 teams, this one is far superior, more entertaining and has more potential to actually win games. Rizzo cobbled together a ball team knowing this year was bound for the dumper, but I think the results might surprise some if Strasburg, Sanchez, Ross, and Doo were all back healthy and Clippard came back as well. Kieboom and Garcia are still works in progress. 

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #121: May 11, 2022, 08:04:08 PM »
I sorta figured but since I'm not familiar with the posters here...well, you know....

All I know is that compared to Manny Acta's 10-21 teams, this one is far superior, more entertaining and has more potential to actually win games. Rizzo cobbled together a ball team knowing this year was bound for the dumper, but I think the results might surprise some if Strasburg, Sanchez, Ross, and Doo were all back healthy and Clippard came back as well. Kieboom and Garcia are still works in progress.
No problem. Anything to get some discussion going. I am not as bullish on the lineup as you but understand why the team is doing what it is doing. It will be sad though if they lose Soto.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #122: May 11, 2022, 08:50:14 PM »
No problem. Anything to get some discussion going. I am not as bullish on the lineup as you but understand why the team is doing what it is doing. It will be sad though if they lose Soto.

If Soto is in line to be the first half billion $ guy like they're saying he will be, then kiss him goodbye.

I wouldn't say I'm bullish. Maybe cautiously optimistic, but I maintain that this lineup is not terrible by any means. The pitching is what sucks.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #123: May 11, 2022, 09:42:04 PM »
If Soto is in line to be the first half billion $ guy like they're saying he will be, then kiss him goodbye.

I wouldn't say I'm bullish. Maybe cautiously optimistic, but I maintain that this lineup is not terrible by any means. The pitching is what sucks.
There are guys who can get on base but not enough power to produce runs. Need to find some help for Soto and Bell.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #124: May 11, 2022, 09:51:35 PM »
I ended up on the injured list for the first time in my slow pitch career. Grade 2 ankle sprain has me on the shelf for a month or so.