Author Topic: NFL 2022-23  (Read 12578 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Re: NFL 2022-23
« Reply #675: February 13, 2023, 11:25:22 AM »
Bradberry says he was holding JuJu: “It was a holding. I tugged his jersey. I was hoping they would let it slide."

This is why defense attorneys don’t let those on trial for murder testify on their own behalf.  He definitely put his hand in his jersey. 

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #676: February 13, 2023, 12:10:50 PM »
  As Perraira said, jersey tugs are almost automatic calls.

A ref sees that tug in real time, as fast as that game is played, and you can understand why he'd throw a flag. Fans can say retrospectively that they don't think the contact impacted the play and perhaps some such contact doesn't get called, but Philly fans can't say they were wronged. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #677: February 13, 2023, 12:24:28 PM »
A ref sees that tug in real time, as fast as that game is played, and you can understand why he'd throw a flag. Fans can say retrospectively that they don't think the contact impacted the play and perhaps some such contact doesn't get called, but Philly fans can't say they were wronged. 
yes.  I remember Russ Francis getting mugged by Fred Vilipiano in an Oakland / Pats playoff game the first year the Raiders won the Super Bowl.  Pats had their playoff game won, but for some awful calls and non-calls on each team's respective last drives.  Big contrast to the Snow Bowl game, where the call was correct even though it was a stupid rule. I can't ever complain about refs calling it by the book. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #678: February 13, 2023, 05:40:14 PM »
We can argue about whether it should have been ignored as low impact (like a lot of O-line holding calls), but at least it wasn't a phantom call.

I'll still make that argument.  I'm of the "let 'em play" school of thought - especially when it's the Super Bowl.  To have penalties decide a game of that magnitude is just incredibly lame.

If the Chiefs kick a field goal with roughly 1-2 minutes left on the clock and the Eagles get a chance at a game-winning drive, that potentially becomes an easy top ten Super Bowl, possibly top five depending on the drama at the very end.

Instead, we got a decent shootout that had a very flat ending.

I'm glad Philly lost, but it's admittedly not as fun this way.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #679: February 13, 2023, 05:49:37 PM »
I'll still make that argument.  I'm of the "let 'em play" school of thought - especially when it's the Super Bowl.  To have penalties decide a game of that magnitude is just incredibly lame.

If the Chiefs kick a field goal with roughly 1-2 minutes left on the clock and the Eagles get a chance at a game-winning drive, that potentially becomes an easy top ten Super Bowl, possibly top five depending on the drama at the very end.

Instead, we got a decent shootout that had a very flat ending.

I'm glad Philly lost, but it's admittedly not as fun this way.

I agree with this. The last seconds of a game like this should be the most exciting. Instead we get the referees deciding the winner

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #680: February 13, 2023, 06:08:02 PM »

I'll go further. I'm absolutely convinced that the Eagles were either winning it with a TD or were at least getting a shot at the tying field goal.  Hurts was unstoppable except when Philly got conservative (or he fumbled).  He would have gotten the ball with 1:30 left and 2 timeouts.  It's why they tried to let the Chiefs score after the hold, only to have the guy dive down on the 1.  It's almost 40 years ago, but this one reminded me of Flutie (BC) vs. Kosar (U of Miami) and the Miracle in Miami. Flutie  went up to Bicknell his coach and said to let Miami score so he'd get the ball back with enough time.  Bicknell said they couldn't do that, so Miami ate up almost all the clock before scoring.  They still left Flutie about 20-30 seconds and he pulled it off with the Hail Mary / Flood Tip.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #681: February 14, 2023, 03:54:32 AM »
Congrats Natsie. I’m in favor of a rematch next year.

Thanks, PWC. Last season's Divisional standings mean that the teams will meet, during the regular season.

Here's some interesting SB stats...

This is the first Super Bowl in which both teams scored at least 35 points

Hurts became the first quarterback to rush for three touchdowns in a Super Bowl

Hurts also set a Super Bowl record for rushing yards by a QB - 70

Facing the team with the second most sacks in a single season in NFL history, the Chiefs' offensive line didn't allow Mahomes to be sacked once

Mahomes became the 13th quarterback to win multiple Super Bowls

Mahomes is the first player from the top four professional sports in the US to win multiple MVPs and multiple championship MVPs within 2000 days of his debut.

Reid became the 15th coach to win multiple Super Bowls

Toney's 65 yard punt-return is the longest in SB history.

QB's post-season record, when trailing by 10+ points, since 2018 - Mahomes 4 - 2    Everyone else combined  7 - 45

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #682: February 14, 2023, 07:16:13 AM »
Yes they will meet. Maybe the opening weekend. Schedule usually released in early May. Eagles might play in Germany this season also.

Edit:  looked up and the game will be in KC. Also see they will play in Seattle and Tampa which have my attention as possible visits.

Also of note they will be bringing back Kelly Green uniforms for some games.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #683: February 14, 2023, 09:37:54 AM »
I'm surprised 13 QBs have won multiple Super Bowls.  Perhaps that includes backups and DNPs?

My try at the list:
Bart Starr
Bob Griese
Roger Staubach
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Montana
Phil Simms (once as a back up)
Steve Young ?
Troy Aikman
John Elway
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Patrick Mahomes

I think with Oakland Stabler won one and Plunkett the other.  With the Giants, I thought Simms won one and Hostetler won the other with Simms hurt (then came Eli twice).  I'm fuzzy one when Young took over, but maybe one with Seifert and one with Mariucci? The then-skins had different QBs. 

I'm sort of thinking maybe Earl Morral won Super Bowl 5 (although I thought that was Unitas) with the Colts and maybe one as Griese's backup? 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #684: February 14, 2023, 11:36:49 AM »
i didn't realize Steve Young has 3 rings, that's incredible.

Offline English Natsie

Offline imref

« Reply #686: February 14, 2023, 01:59:36 PM »
Here's the lucky 13... ;)

https://www.nbcsports.com/quarterbacks-who-have-won-multiple-super-bowl-titles-0

and only one has won two Super Bowls, two Super Bowl MVPs, and two NFL MVPs in five years.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #687: February 14, 2023, 02:50:09 PM »
Eagles lose both of their coordinators to Cards and Colts. Carry on. I think Brian Johnson will get the OC job. Fangio was rumored for DC but took another job.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #688: February 14, 2023, 03:03:30 PM »
i didn't realize Steve Young has 3 rings, that's incredible.
does that count backup time?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #689: February 14, 2023, 03:08:42 PM »
Plunkett.  My Dad bought 3 season tickets when the first Foxboro stadium (Schaefer Stadium, after the beer) opened and the Pats drafted Plunkett. We kept our seats up until the got rid of him / he walked to SF, I forget which.  Of course, the next season, they brought in Steve Grogan and went on a nice run in with Chuck Fairbanks as coach.  Really should have beat the raiders the first year they won the SB).

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #690: February 15, 2023, 02:00:35 AM »
I think with Oakland Stabler won one and Plunkett the other.  With the Giants, I thought Simms won one and Hostetler won the other with Simms hurt (then came Eli twice).  I'm fuzzy one when Young took over, but maybe one with Seifert and one with Mariucci? The then-skins had different QBs. 

I'm sort of thinking maybe Earl Morral won Super Bowl 5 (although I thought that was Unitas) with the Colts and maybe one as Griese's backup? 

-As you pointed out in your other post, Plunkett won two: his first was that really forgettable Super Bowl against the Eagles.  If the Cowboys had beaten the Eagles in that year's NFC title game, that Super Bowl would almost certainly be remembered a lot more for being the first and only Cowboys/Raiders SB to date.  The second was against the Foreskinz where Marcus Allen ran all over the literally hungover Skins' D (or at least that's the story - one could imagine that old Theeeeezman and Riggo did their usual thing and the rest of the team followed them off the proverbial cliff).

-The Steve Young era started in 1991 after the Giants knocked Montana out of the 1990 NFC title game.  Montana was so freaked that he couldn't play for quite a while, and by the time he was ready to return, Siefert wanted to ride with Young, so they shipped off Montana to KC.  SF didn't even make the playoffs in '91 (and probably would have run into the buzzsaw that was the '91 Redskins - an all-time great team).  Lost consecutive NFC title games in '92/'93, and then finally won in '94.  Then the Niners started a new trend of losing to Favre's Packers every year.

-The Earl Morrall thing is a weird footnote.  He didn't start Super Bowl V, but he played in it when Unitas got knocked out of the game.  In Super Bowl 3, the reverse happened - Morrall starts but Unitas spots him.  It'd be like if both Bledsoe and Brady played against the Rams and Carolina.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #691: February 16, 2023, 12:23:08 PM »
Notable SB streaks ended by the Chiefs -

Previous 9 MVPs to reach the Super Bowl had all lost.

Previous 6 individual pass yds leaders to reach the Super Bowl had all lost.

Previous 8 teams to win coin toss at the Super Bowl had all lost.

Offline imref

« Reply #692: February 16, 2023, 11:54:17 PM »

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #693: February 17, 2023, 05:51:02 AM »
(see four posts back...) So after promoting cards from Fish & Wildlife JCA moves on to CIA Valentines... :D  ;)