Author Topic: NFL 2022-23  (Read 12577 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: NFL 2022-23
« Reply #675: February 15, 2023, 02:00:35 AM »
I think with Oakland Stabler won one and Plunkett the other.  With the Giants, I thought Simms won one and Hostetler won the other with Simms hurt (then came Eli twice).  I'm fuzzy one when Young took over, but maybe one with Seifert and one with Mariucci? The then-skins had different QBs. 

I'm sort of thinking maybe Earl Morral won Super Bowl 5 (although I thought that was Unitas) with the Colts and maybe one as Griese's backup? 

-As you pointed out in your other post, Plunkett won two: his first was that really forgettable Super Bowl against the Eagles.  If the Cowboys had beaten the Eagles in that year's NFC title game, that Super Bowl would almost certainly be remembered a lot more for being the first and only Cowboys/Raiders SB to date.  The second was against the Foreskinz where Marcus Allen ran all over the literally hungover Skins' D (or at least that's the story - one could imagine that old Theeeeezman and Riggo did their usual thing and the rest of the team followed them off the proverbial cliff).

-The Steve Young era started in 1991 after the Giants knocked Montana out of the 1990 NFC title game.  Montana was so freaked that he couldn't play for quite a while, and by the time he was ready to return, Siefert wanted to ride with Young, so they shipped off Montana to KC.  SF didn't even make the playoffs in '91 (and probably would have run into the buzzsaw that was the '91 Redskins - an all-time great team).  Lost consecutive NFC title games in '92/'93, and then finally won in '94.  Then the Niners started a new trend of losing to Favre's Packers every year.

-The Earl Morrall thing is a weird footnote.  He didn't start Super Bowl V, but he played in it when Unitas got knocked out of the game.  In Super Bowl 3, the reverse happened - Morrall starts but Unitas spots him.  It'd be like if both Bledsoe and Brady played against the Rams and Carolina.