Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Cristhian Vaquero, OF  (Read 3508 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
His nickname is “The Phenomenon”

Offline UMDNats

JDP like 0-for-50 since Juan Soto despite giving out monster deals.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Not sure what the big deal is? Ill take an 18 year old with a 12% k rate.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
phenominal

https://twitter.com/nats_playerdev/status/1680019474118836230?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ

Almost goes without saying given his placement in that international class, but this kid is exceptionally toolsy. That type of speed at that height is uncommon.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
https://twitter.com/nats_playerdev/status/1680019474118836230?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ

Almost goes without saying given his placement in that international class, but this kid is exceptionally toolsy. That type of speed at that height is uncommon.
James Wood laughs and says, "uncommon?"

But seriously, let him dominate at least the rest of the month.  It's < 100 PAs in the complex league. That said, we can say he's not diminishing expectations. .307 / .415 / .453, with 13.5 BB% and 15.6 K%.  No HRs, but 9 XBH out of 64 balls in play. Apparently, the kid is familiar with the expression "you don't walk your way off the island" but is hedging his bets by taking some. 7 for 10 on steals, which I assume is pure speed and not technique yet. Playing exclusively in center.

Can smarter people weigh in on the  (49 / 18 / 33)% split pull / center / oppo?  With the low K%, it looks like he doesn't get fooled, so is he willing to go oppo on outside stuff but otherwise tries (and does) pull everything?

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/cristhian-vaquero/sa3018403/stats?position=OF

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
https://twitter.com/talknats/status/1681765025332035587?s=46&t=Q_qc3R_qyMHAAFvlywNqzQ
Theres a world where Fredericksburg hosts Crews, Morales, and Vaquero at the same time this year

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
Theres a world where Fredericksburg hosts Crews, Morales, and Vaquero at the same time this year

I’d make the drive honestly. I’m going to try to catch a few Crews minor league games anyway, if I’m promised the ability to get eyes on all three, I’m freeing up the schedule 💯

Offline imref

Offline blue911

Re: Follow the Prospects: Cristhian Vaquero, OF
« Reply #37: August 08, 2023, 01:25:15 PM »
Phenomenal. I wonder if he'll get a shot at Fredricksburg before the season ends.

It would be nice. I wonder how his english language skills are and does he have a driver’s license

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #38: August 08, 2023, 02:20:49 PM »
It would be nice. I wonder how his english language skills are and does he have a driver’s license
Went to a game in Lakeland a couple of years ago. Doubleheader actually. There was a whole group of Hispanic dudes in the stands having a great time and occasionally shouting back and forth with guys on the low A team on the field. I assumed they were rookie league guys.

Quite an adjustment for these young fellas.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #39: August 08, 2023, 03:54:12 PM »
Went to a game in Lakeland a couple of years ago. Doubleheader actually. There was a whole group of Hispanic dudes in the stands having a great time and occasionally shouting back and forth with guys on the low A team on the field. I assumed they were rookie league guys.

Quite an adjustment for these young fellas.

Indeed, yes. Vaquero is still young, and the change from the Dominican Republic to Florida must be a huge leap.

I looked at Fangraphs...appears that scouts have no firm idea of Vaquero except that he is unusually fast.

Who was the other top player in that signing period? The Yankees signed him. Was it Jasson Dominguez? No, Dominguez was signed in 2019. Ah... seems to have been Roderick Ariasa shortstop now in the FCL.

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #40: August 08, 2023, 05:17:33 PM »
Indeed, yes. Vaquero is still young, and the change from the Dominican Republic to Florida must be a huge leap.

I looked at Fangraphs...appears that scouts have no firm idea of Vaquero except that he is unusually fast.

Who was the otyher top player in that signing period. The Yankees signed him. Was it Jasson Dominguez? No, Dominguez was signed in 2019. Ah... seems to have been Roderick Ariasa shortstop now in the FCL.

I was hopeful that the Nats would land Arias at the deadline (alongside a couple other prospects obviously) for a L Thomas/Candy package. These kids are so young that you still have absolutely no idea what they’ll turn into, but Arias and Vaquero both look like what you’d expect future stars to look like at their age. Again, they’re a ways off from being a ways off, but both have tremendous physical ability.

The weird thing with Vaquero though is that he looks like he should hit for substantial power (there’s still the hope that he will). His major selling point was that he was a potential 5 tool CF, and every tool has been on full display according to people watching him closely except for power.

I’m guessing that he’s prioritizing contact at the moment, but he’s not impacting the ball a ton.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #41: August 08, 2023, 06:45:54 PM »
I was hopeful that the Nats would land Arias at the deadline (alongside a couple other prospects obviously) for a L Thomas/Candy package. These kids are so young that you still have absolutely no idea what they’ll turn into, but Arias and Vaquero both look like what you’d expect future stars to look like at their age. Again, they’re a ways off from being a ways off, but both have tremendous physical ability.

The weird thing with Vaquero though is that he looks like he should hit for substantial power (there’s still the hope that he will). His major selling point was that he was a potential 5 tool CF, and every tool has been on full display according to people watching him closely except for power.

I’m guessing that he’s prioritizing contact at the moment, but he’s not impacting the ball a ton.

Still learning to hit lefty as well

Offline imref

« Reply #42: August 14, 2023, 09:50:37 PM »
0-0, 4BBs today

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #43: August 15, 2023, 10:38:23 AM »
0-0, 4BBs today

Homer and a single so far today. Kid clearly has exceptional feel for hitting and quality contact skills. If the power comes along (and there's no reason to suspect that it wont given the physical profile), we're looking at a future top 50 prospect in the sport with the upside to push into the top 25. He's REALLY gifted.

Offline imref

« Reply #44: August 15, 2023, 12:08:17 PM »
Homer and a single so far today. Kid clearly has exceptional feel for hitting and quality contact skills. If the power comes along (and there's no reason to suspect that it wont given the physical profile), we're looking at a future top 50 prospect in the sport with the upside to push into the top 25. He's REALLY gifted.
phenomenal

Offline DCsOwn

• Another New Hope
« Reply #45: August 15, 2023, 12:12:23 PM »
phenomenal

Nats have the market cornered with respect to intriguing outfield prospects lol

Seriously though, this is a surplus like I'm not sure we've seen in some time. If Green was having even a decent season, it would look legitimately insane.

Offline imref

« Reply #46: August 15, 2023, 12:13:55 PM »
2-3, BB, 2SB, HR so far today. I'd really like to see how he does at Fredricksburg.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #47: August 15, 2023, 01:35:45 PM »
Obly reason to leep him any longer at FCL is to ease his adjustment to the US...assuming that's one thing the Nats do in FCL

Offline imref

« Reply #48: August 22, 2023, 07:54:22 PM »
The Phenomenon is heading to Fredricksburg!

Offline imref

« Reply #49: August 30, 2023, 11:12:22 AM »
6 games now at A: .261 / .469 / .261   , 2 SBs. 9 walks in 32 PAs.