Author Topic: Soccer 2022 (A/K/A Futbol)  (Read 8309 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Soccer 2022 (A/K/A Futbol)
« Topic Start: January 01, 2022, 03:04:03 PM »
I wouldn't wish a Covid outbreak on anyone, but Man City could use a good bout of intestinal parasites or pink eye. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Soccer 2020-21 (A/K/A Futbol)
« Reply #3: January 27, 2022, 05:46:01 PM »
Matt Turner, GK for NE Revs and USMNT, transfering to Arsenal this summer for $10MM and 10% of any further transfer fee coming to Arsenal if they sell him.
https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-revolution/2022/01/27/arsenal-matt-turner-summer-transfer-fee-news/

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #4: January 28, 2022, 05:24:53 PM »
I have been a Spurs fan since the '90s, and I despise Stan Kroenke. Double whammy.

• babble on
« Reply #5: January 30, 2022, 06:13:01 PM »
It certainly looks like Canada will make the World Cup for the first time since Mexico '86

Offline slhubic

« Reply #6: January 31, 2022, 07:13:27 PM »
It certainly looks like Canada will make the World Cup for the first time since Mexico '86

woo-hoo!  hopefully...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: February 02, 2022, 08:40:19 PM »
Scheduling an outdoor soccer match in St. Paul, Minnesota in February is an absolute abomination.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #8: February 02, 2022, 09:03:47 PM »
Scheduling an outdoor soccer match in St. Paul, Minnesota in February is an absolute abomination.
Abominable? As in snowman?

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #9: February 02, 2022, 09:28:13 PM »
A win is a win.

Would not be surprised to see Canada lose tonight in El Salvador.

Offline slhubic

« Reply #10: February 03, 2022, 04:20:15 AM »
A win is a win.

Would not be surprised to see Canada lose tonight in El Salvador.

surprise...

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #11: February 03, 2022, 06:47:55 AM »
surprise...
Thought it would be too hot for them.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #12: February 03, 2022, 08:21:14 AM »

Why shouldn't the US take advantage of the home federation's right to decide on the venue? The Central Americans deliberately schedule games against the US for craphole stadiums with horrible fields located in the middle of nowhere so the visitors have to take a three-hour bus ride to get there and then they station people outside the hotels blasting loud music all night to try to keep the players from sleeping. The Mexicans regularly schedule games at Azteca for midafternoon when the air pollution will be at its worst. It's about time the US sticks it to them by using the rules to its advantage.

(Now, the game in the snow against Costa Rica some years back was bizarre, but Costa Rica didn't protest at the time—they waited until after they lost and then lodged a protest, which was rightly denied because the rules say you have to protest at game time. That makes sense—you can't roll the dice and say, "We'll protest if we lose but we'll happily take the result if we win.")

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #13: February 03, 2022, 09:08:38 AM »
Why shouldn't the US take advantage of the home federation's right to decide on the venue? The Central Americans deliberately schedule games against the US for craphole stadiums with horrible fields located in the middle of nowhere so the visitors have to take a three-hour bus ride to get there and then they station people outside the hotels blasting loud music all night to try to keep the players from sleeping. The Mexicans regularly schedule games at Azteca for midafternoon when the air pollution will be at its worst. It's about time the US sticks it to them by using the rules to its advantage.

(Now, the game in the snow against Costa Rica some years back was bizarre, but Costa Rica didn't protest at the time—they waited until after they lost and then lodged a protest, which was rightly denied because the rules say you have to protest at game time. That makes sense—you can't roll the dice and say, "We'll protest if we lose but we'll happily take the result if we win.")
Yea just seemed a bit extreme. Even the USA players were cold. They would have beaten them wherever they played. From what I read the coach said it was to minimize travel as well as the cold since Canada chose to play the USA game in Ontario. If they had played in Vancouver the USA would have played its games on the west coast.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: February 03, 2022, 09:11:21 AM »
so, looking at the schedule and standings, Canada is 4 points up on Mexico and USA, who are 4 points up on Panama and 5 on Costa Rica.  One team is out at 5th, 4th has the play in, and top 3 qualify. CR hosts both USA and Canada and visits El Sal.  3 competitive matches but they could win them all given the venues? Still, tall task, and Canada can help USA by taking a point or three.  Panama hosts Honduras (win), then visits USA before hosting Canada.  USA I think advances with a win at home, and qualifies with a win and CR dropping points when hosting Canada or the USA.  Getting any points at Mexico helps.  Drop points to Panama, then things get interesting and may need a point in CR. 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #15: February 03, 2022, 09:17:21 AM »
Yea just seemed a bit extreme. Even the USA players were cold. They would have beaten them wherever they played. From what I read the coach said it was to minimize travel as well as the cold since Canada chose to play the USA game in Ontario. If they had played in Vancouver the USA would have played its games on the west coast.

I saw that regarding Vancouver as well. I thought it was odd that Canada claimed the reason for playing in Hamilton was that it was easier for them to fly to El Salvador from Toronto than it would have been from Vancouver, which seems somewhat implausible, but whatever. They had the right to schedule it where they chose. In 1985, Canada scheduled a home World Cup qualifier against Honduras in a tiny stadium somewhere on the Island of Newfoundland.

I just find it extremely hypocritical that people are complaining about the US playing the game in extreme cold weather when the Central Americans' gamesmanship is considered fine and the Canadians were applauded for taking advantage of home-field advantage when they played Mexico in intensely cold weather in Edmonton last November. Typical bullcrap—it's OK for everyone else, just not for the USA.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: February 03, 2022, 10:22:13 AM »
so, looking at the schedule and standings, Canada is 4 points up on Mexico and USA, who are 4 points up on Panama and 5 on Costa Rica.  One team is out at 5th, 4th has the play in, and top 3 qualify. CR hosts both USA and Canada and visits El Sal.  3 competitive matches but they could win them all given the venues? Still, tall task, and Canada can help USA by taking a point or three.  Panama hosts Honduras (win), then visits USA before hosting Canada.  USA I think advances with a win at home, and qualifies with a win and CR dropping points when hosting Canada or the USA.  Getting any points at Mexico helps.  Drop points to Panama, then things get interesting and may need a point in CR. 

I think they get in- frankly it would be humiliating for us soccer to get bumped by CR or Panama, but the US mens team has been known to go down that route. I think they make it to the World Cup save the embarrassment for group play

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: February 03, 2022, 10:24:26 AM »
I saw that regarding Vancouver as well. I thought it was odd that Canada claimed the reason for playing in Hamilton was that it was easier for them to fly to El Salvador from Toronto than it would have been from Vancouver, which seems somewhat implausible, but whatever. They had the right to schedule it where they chose. In 1985, Canada scheduled a home World Cup qualifier against Honduras in a tiny stadium somewhere on the Island of Newfoundland.

I just find it extremely hypocritical that people are complaining about the US playing the game in extreme cold weather when the Central Americans' gamesmanship is considered fine and the Canadians were applauded for taking advantage of home-field advantage when they played Mexico in intensely cold weather in Edmonton last November. Typical bullcrap—it's OK for everyone else, just not for the USA.

I wish they would lean harder into gamesmanship. Recruit players from Alaska and the northern plains and make the Central American teams play outdoors in Nome

Online Five Banners

« Reply #18: February 03, 2022, 10:26:29 AM »
I wish they would lean harder into gamesmanship. Recruit players from Alaska and the northern plains and make the Central American teams play outdoors in Nome

Nome Field advantage

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #19: February 03, 2022, 10:37:50 AM »
Nome Field advantage

If the visitors lost, they'd have nomebody to blame but themselves.

Offline Natsinpwc

• babble on
« Reply #22: February 03, 2022, 12:11:29 PM »
It's hard to imagine more adverse "weather" than what is found at Azteca or Cuscatlan...it's like a monsoon of bodily fluids  :spaz:

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #23: February 09, 2022, 05:39:05 PM »
Outrageous and indefensible - poor puss... :shock: :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60312876

• babble on
« Reply #24: February 10, 2022, 01:49:31 PM »
freaker.  Throw him to the Millwall hoolies  :evil:   
Outrageous and indefensible - poor puss... :shock: :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60312876