Author Topic: Soccer 2022 (A/K/A Futbol)  (Read 8624 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Soccer 2022 (A/K/A Futbol)
« Reply #400: June 25, 2023, 10:50:11 AM »
As a stooge fan I demand a duel with flintlock pistols

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #401: June 25, 2023, 02:48:47 PM »
I have the DC United GAME against Cincinnati on TV with United's radio feed playing as the audio (Apple TV Plus lets you listen to their commentators or to the home TEAM's radio feed, so i opt for the latter for United home GAMES). The stooge fans are probably pissed that the fellow who is subbing for Dave Johnson says “three-ZERO” or “three-NOTHING” (for what it’s worth, Landon Donovan does too) and has not said “nil” once. As I typed this, he just said GAME twice. Nice to hear a soccer commentator speak normally. His colleague also just referred to the FIELD and then I heard “ONE-ON-ONE.”

Good to hear about American announcers who use terms we all know.

(I have signed up for MLS, but keep forgetting that they play on Saturday night. I was a strong DCU fan back when we had no baseball. A member of the Screaming Eagles. Son and I sat in the RFK upper deck to watch Soccer Bowl 2. We also went to Giants Stadium whenever DC United played the NY MetroStars. That was great. )

The two women who are on the national feed cater to the stooge fans.

Now if they would just learn to list the teams in the correct order in the score graphic instead of putting the home team first, unlike every other sport.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #402: June 28, 2023, 06:51:22 PM »
'Bout time this was commonplace...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66037831

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #403: June 28, 2023, 07:08:37 PM »
Ok, so last year we did the break in the thread on 1/1/22. This year, we'll do the break once the Premier League teams are in pre-season camps.  That sound right?

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #404: June 29, 2023, 03:29:18 AM »
Ok, so last year we did the break in the thread on 1/1/22. This year, we'll do the break once the Premier League teams are in pre-season camps.  That sound right?

Depends on who you want to keep happy. In terms of the worldwide game, Season '23 - '24 will shortly be getting underway (the Scottish Premiership starts on 8/5/23). However, MLS is somewhat different, in having a calendar year season, so 'soccer '23 '  would continue until 12/31 - and this is a US forum...

Perhaps MLS has now reached the point of deserving it's own thread (for the 'All Americans') with a separate 'World Soccer' thread (for the 'Stooges') ?... ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #405: June 29, 2023, 08:10:31 AM »
I suppose a DC Untied & MLS thread would work but for DC Indicted not really drawing many more posts. The United used to have a few followers, but now it's down to Ali and an occasional Imref visit to Audi Field. I think the international stuff is more the focus. At any rate, it's either do it strict calendar and do a split around page 11 or set at least one new thread up at MLB's All Star break (conveniently around the time teams start training, right?).