Author Topic: End of an Era - Zimmerman retires  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Briggs

Re: End of an Era - Zimmerman retires
« Reply #25: February 15, 2022, 05:16:19 PM »
Forever the Face!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: February 15, 2022, 05:24:28 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: February 15, 2022, 05:43:38 PM »
The Braves walkoff for opening night in 2008 was the best moment of his I was at.  I'd say the World Series 1st homer was his most important moment because he set the tone for the series and showed we weren't going to get bullrushed by that hyped about "super" team.

I also think that he's at the "if not now, when?" stage.  This team is not contending in 2022, probably not before 2025 and only then if Soto somehow decides to stay.  Even in 2020 and 2021, the team had a chance to get back to the playoffs.  He could just stay and fade, with the team not willing to tell him when, but he's not going to be here for the next contender.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #28: February 15, 2022, 06:45:58 PM »
I don't even have the words for this.

Truly the end of an era.
Put the number 11 up on the site banner next to the World Series title.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #29: February 15, 2022, 07:29:58 PM »
Don't forget how much he improved his throwing accuracy playing first base.  It was a comedy act at first.  He gradually became an above average fielding first baseman.

Online imref

« Reply #30: February 15, 2022, 09:41:01 PM »
Other than strasburg, isn’t Soto the longest tenured Nat?

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #31: February 15, 2022, 11:04:26 PM »
Other than strasburg, isn’t Soto the longest tenured Nat?
Austin Voth was drafted in June 2013 and Victor Robles was signed a month later. Fedde was drafted in June 2014 and Joe Ross came over in a trade in December 2014. Soto was signed in July 2015. Andrew Stevenson was signed about a week before Soto. I'm probably forgetting someone else.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #32: February 16, 2022, 12:02:25 AM »
What is your favorite Zim moment in history? Walkoff against the Yankees? Those (good) nasty sidearm throws from 3B?

For me it’s the walkoff homer against the Yankees at RFK with my dad and brother for Fathers Day. That was my first Nats game and it got me to love baseball again.

Funny how the biggest hit of his career ended up being a broken-bat bloop single :)

Online Five Banners

« Reply #33: February 16, 2022, 12:12:51 AM »
What is your favorite Zim moment in history?

I’m just glad that there’s someone who has so many moments that come to mind now, and that more can come to mind again later, all for the local nine.

One just came to mind off the field was how he and Max really got behind the Caps, who of course returned the favor.

Online imref

« Reply #34: February 16, 2022, 12:17:00 AM »
For me it’s the walkoff homer against the Yankees at RFK with my dad and brother for Fathers Day. That was my first Nats game and it got me to love baseball again.

Funny how the biggest hit of his career ended up being a broken-bat bloop single :)

Don't forget his diving catch in that game too.

MLB published a top 10:

https://www.mlb.com/news/ryan-zimmerman-s-top-10-career-moments

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #35: February 16, 2022, 07:51:52 AM »
Thank you Ryan for so many memorable moments. My favorite was the father's day walk off game at RFK against the Yanks. My daughter and I leapt for joy. Being at RFK Stadium with 45k fans a game that series with so many New Yorkers who had come down for the weekend was awesome. Missed the walkoff against the Braves on on the Nats Park debut because we were already on the Metro going home (school night).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36: February 16, 2022, 08:52:00 AM »
Don't forget how much he improved his throwing accuracy playing first base.  It was a comedy act at first.  He gradually became an above average fielding first baseman.
I don't recall disastrous throws the past 5 years or so at first.  Certainly none in 2019 onward.  Less abuse when runners got on forcing throws on pickoffs.  I think his arm somewhat healed with time a fewer throws, or perhaps with fewer throws there were fewer opportunities for bad ones. Svrluga's article yesterday mentioned his shoulder, hip, and feet as still painful.

Online imref

« Reply #37: February 16, 2022, 10:08:55 AM »
I don't recall disastrous throws the past 5 years or so at first.  Certainly none in 2019 onward.  Less abuse when runners got on forcing throws on pickoffs.  I think his arm somewhat healed with time a fewer throws, or perhaps with fewer throws there were fewer opportunities for bad ones. Svrluga's article yesterday mentioned his shoulder, hip, and feet as still painful.

That MLB article I posted above shows his triple play, catching the ball at first, stepping on the bag, and then throwing over to 3rd. The throw wasn't pretty, but it got the job done.

I don't think most folks remember how good Zimmerman was at third prior to his shoulder issues. The charging toward home, bare-handed pickup and throw to first were a staple of his.

Online imref

« Reply #38: February 16, 2022, 10:12:04 AM »
Zuck notes: " Only 57 players in major league history spent an entire career of 16 or more seasons with one franchise, and Zimmerman is on that list. Forty of those players, by the way, are in the Hall of Fame."

I think you can make a good argument that Zimmerman would have been a hall of famer if not for the injuries.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39: February 16, 2022, 10:18:52 AM »
Zuck notes: " Only 57 players in major league history spent an entire career of 16 or more seasons with one franchise, and Zimmerman is on that list. Forty of those players, by the way, are in the Hall of Fame."

I think you can make a good argument that Zimmerman would have been a hall of famer if not for the injuries.
he was having a Rolenesque career before the shoulder blew.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #40: February 16, 2022, 11:05:11 AM »
Thank you Ryan for so many memorable moments. My favorite was the father's day walk off game at RFK against the Yanks. My daughter and I leapt for joy. Being at RFK Stadium with 45k fans a game that series with so many New Yorkers who had come down for the weekend was awesome. Missed the walkoff against the Braves on on the Nats Park debut because we were already on the Metro going home (school night).

I was there for both.  Great moments and I'll always remember them. 

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #41: February 16, 2022, 11:38:38 AM »
Don't forget he was briefly an outfielder too.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #42: February 16, 2022, 12:03:28 PM »
That MLB article I posted above shows his triple play, catching the ball at first, stepping on the bag, and then throwing over to 3rd. The throw wasn't pretty, but it got the job done.

I don't think most folks remember how good Zimmerman was at third prior to his shoulder issues. The charging toward home, bare-handed pickup and throw to first were a staple of his.
He was still showing flashes of brilliance at 1st base last year.   It was always going to be tough to slot him at DH because he was going to be a significant upgrade on the field to whoever was at 1st base.

For a while there, it looked like he was going to be healthy enough to enjoy the pay off of being a star on bad team for all those years, but it worked out pretty well for him, and he was able to contribute in a lot of ways to the good teams and the championship team.   I imagine he is very satisfied with how his career turned out.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #43: February 16, 2022, 01:53:45 PM »
I was at the Nats Park opening game walk off but the most memorable for me was the game four NLDS three run homer.  Watched that on the plane after vacation.  Had seen the opening homer off of Max at the airport before take off.  Figured here we go again.  Firmly believe that without Zimm's HR the bullpen would have blown the lead. 

Online imref

« Reply #44: February 16, 2022, 02:04:57 PM »
I'm trying to think of anyone left like Zimm, someone who wants to play for a single team for his career and is willing to take a discount to do so.  Other than Mike Trout I can't think of anyone.

Zuck noted something Zimmerman said when he signed the same day he was drafted: "I didn’t want to be one of those guys that sits out the whole summer. It wouldn’t be smart for me to sit out and try to get more money. That’s really not the kind of player I am.”

He signed his first extension with three years left on his existing deal, and his second with two years left on his deal. Each time he arguably signed for less than he could have gotten on the open market.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45: February 16, 2022, 04:36:58 PM »
I'm trying to think of anyone left like Zimm, someone who wants to play for a single team for his career and is willing to take a discount to do so.  Other than Mike Trout I can't think of anyone.

Zuck noted something Zimmerman said when he signed the same day he was drafted: "I didn’t want to be one of those guys that sits out the whole summer. It wouldn’t be smart for me to sit out and try to get more money. That’s really not the kind of player I am.”

He signed his first extension with three years left on his existing deal, and his second with two years left on his deal. Each time he arguably signed for less than he could have gotten on the open market.
Wainright, if he's still playing.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #46: February 16, 2022, 04:57:43 PM »
What an amazing career! Well earned retirement!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47: February 16, 2022, 05:31:17 PM »
What an amazing career! Well earned retirement!
He retires and he can stop being called old.  37 with 4 young kids is kind of prime time, and he can spend time with them or engage in something other than playing with them as he wants.  Nice.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #48: February 18, 2022, 01:26:49 PM »
Put the number 11 up on the site banner next to the World Series title.

I like that idea a lot!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #49: February 18, 2022, 02:25:21 PM »
I attended his first game (home game anyways, I think he came on briefly in Atlanta the day before) and of course his last one...thinking about all of the things that happened between those dates is kind of a head bender.  Almost a Brood X cicada generation