Author Topic: End of an Era - Zimmerman retires  (Read 4193 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: End of an Era - Zimmerman retires
« Reply #100: June 18, 2022, 10:03:12 AM »
Werth was funny ragging on Kulko.  You could tell there was still some tension between them, as Werth seems the type to hold grudges for life.
I don't think it is so much tension as they both enjoy interacting with each other and go through routines when they get together. If you remember the Werth retirement ceremony, Werth only mentioned Kolko among the media. It almost seems like kid brother. I think they laugh at the early interactions.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #101: June 18, 2022, 10:38:23 AM »
All attendees today get a NFT picture with their seat information on it.

Offline imref

« Reply #102: June 18, 2022, 10:38:54 AM »
I don't think it is so much tension as they both enjoy interacting with each other and go through routines when they get together. If you remember the Werth retirement ceremony, Werth only mentioned Kolko among the media. It almost seems like kid brother. I think they laugh at the early interactions.

I met Werth a few years ago in an airport, he couldn't have been nicer and seemed surprised that he was recognized.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103: June 18, 2022, 11:35:08 AM »
I met Werth a few years ago in an airport, he couldn't have been nicer and seemed surprised that he was recognized.
I would have had to stare a bit to recognize him yesterday were I to meet him in an unexpected place.  He's big, so that's what I'd notice, but otherwise, the hair, facial hair, and build is just like another fit guy in his late 30s early 40s. I definitely would not recognize Espinosa. Desi is the most recognizable, and Laynce Nix would have been a guy I would have said "yah," if someone else pointed him out. 

Offline imref

« Reply #104: June 18, 2022, 11:50:52 AM »
I would have had to stare a bit to recognize him yesterday were I to meet him in an unexpected place.  He's big, so that's what I'd notice, but otherwise, the hair, facial hair, and build is just like another fit guy in his late 30s early 40s. I definitely would not recognize Espinosa. Desi is the most recognizable, and Laynce Nix would have been a guy I would have said "yah," if someone else pointed him out. 

Espinosa was really good in Bohemian Rhapsody a few years ago.

Offline imref

« Reply #105: June 18, 2022, 12:04:21 PM »
Zimmerman is buying everyone a beer today at the salt line.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106: June 18, 2022, 02:50:12 PM »
See a Nick Johnson t. Shirt, a Scherzer jersey, a Strasburg, Soto flower power t shirt, another Stras in blue,  more Soto,  a Philly Harper that stinks, 2019 chanp stuff, along with various Zim, of course. Just 1 Mr Walkoff :)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #107: June 18, 2022, 03:08:15 PM »
See a Nick Johnson t. Shirt, a Scherzer jersey, a Strasburg, Soto flower power t shirt, another Stras in blue,  more Soto,  a Philly Harper that stinks, 2019 chanp stuff, along with various Zim, of course. Just 1 Mr Walkoff :)
Harper not playing today. Infected blister on his hand. Hoskins also out. Maybe the Nats can even win a game.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108: June 18, 2022, 04:23:21 PM »
First time I think Harper was cheered without being booed in his Phillies uni was on the video with players at the start.

Offline imref

« Reply #109: June 18, 2022, 04:23:25 PM »
Harper watched the ceremony from the top of the steps and then came out on the field to hug zimm

Just a wonderful ceremony.

I’m not crying, you’re crying.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110: June 18, 2022, 04:31:56 PM »
Daughters get to say play ball

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #111: June 19, 2022, 12:18:03 AM »

Bummed that I never got a Nick Johnson jersey, but I do have an old-school Brad Wilkerson.  Obviously have plenty of Zimm, Scherzer, and Strasburg jerseys (including the blue All-Star one that unfortunately is horribly ugly).  Also have Harper of course (for the Nats, not Philly), but the one that I'm afraid to buy is Soto.  Lock him up and I'll buy three!  :)

Great ceremony today and FANTASTIC weather.   Of all the speakers, I thought Davey might have been the best. 

Offline imref

« Reply #112: June 19, 2022, 06:32:49 AM »
Davey was great, as was Desmond. It was impossible to watch the tribute video from his family and not cry. Just a really emotional day.

Offline imref

« Reply #113: June 19, 2022, 11:19:29 AM »
In case you missed it:

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #114: June 19, 2022, 05:25:28 PM »
Davey was great, as was Desmond. It was impossible to watch the tribute video from his family and not cry. Just a really emotional day.
You guys are babies.  Geez Louise, you cried?

Offline imref

« Reply #115: June 19, 2022, 05:32:16 PM »
You guys are babies.  Geez Louise, you cried?

I’ve been taking my kids to see Zimm since 2006. Lots of memories.

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #116: June 19, 2022, 05:44:36 PM »
Ok, I suppose you had a lot more invested than me. My bad.

Offline Chelsea_Phil

« Reply #117: June 19, 2022, 05:46:28 PM »
Though I do cry every time I watch Bang The Drum Slowly.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #118: June 19, 2022, 08:15:23 PM »
I thought the tribute to Zimmerman was well produced and emotional. It was not solely about his accomplishments on the field but his achievements as a human being. Not only was he a good and devoted son to his parents and his family but he gave relentlessly to the community.

He was a quiet leader who led by example and I cannot help but think that he was the most respected man in the clubhouse. There is a Yiddish  word for him and it is a "mensch". A very rough translation for those who may not be familiar with the term is "someone who consistently does  the right thing for others". I had tears in my eyes for most of the ceremony as it isn't often we encounter someone as special as Zim .

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #119: June 19, 2022, 08:46:09 PM »
Only thing I hoped for that wasn't a part of the ceremony was a good chance to give his Mom a standing O. Thought it was awesome that she was there and that she and his grandad spoke on the video

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #120: June 19, 2022, 09:03:19 PM »
Mensch fits for sure. 

Offline CowherPower

« Reply #121: June 19, 2022, 11:28:19 PM »
I’ve been taking my kids to see Zimm since 2006. Lots of memories.

I've been at a number of Zimm walkoff games including the night he ushered in Nats Park in 2008.  But one of my biggest regrets was that I left that game on Father's Day in 2006 a little early.  My kids were 5, 3, and 11-months old at the time so we couldn't stay until the end.   I vividly remember hearing the stadium go ballistic as I drove out of the RFK parking lot when Zimm shut the door and started his legend.  Man, that would have been amazing to see had I stayed.

Offline imref

« Reply #122: June 19, 2022, 11:32:26 PM »
I've been at a number of Zimm walkoff games including the night he ushered in Nats Park in 2008.  But one of my biggest regrets was that I left that game on Father's Day in 2006 a little early.  My kids were 5, 3, and 11-months old at the time so we couldn't stay until the end.   I vividly remember hearing the stadium go ballistic as I drove out of the RFK parking lot when Zimm shut the door and started his legend.  Man, that would have been amazing to see had I stayed.

My kids were 4 and 6, we didn’t make it into the park until the 7th. He was their favorite player from that point forward. Both got autographs and met him at Potomac during rehab stints. And both came home from college last year to be there for his final game

Offline imref

« Reply #123: June 20, 2022, 09:36:10 AM »
I didn't boo Freeman because he's excellent, on the Dodgers now, and comes across as a decent guy.  As for Harper, I view more as a jerk on a rival who happens to be good.  I don't bother to boo him, but I can understand, the same way I can understand booing Draymond Green and cheering for Steph Curry (or, booing Marcus Smart and cheering Jaylen Brown).

On Sunday Harper watched the entire ceremony from the top of the steps. After it was over, a bunch of the former Nats went over to hug/talk to him, and then Harper walked onto the field to find Zimmerman. They hugged and chatted for a few minutes as well.

here's the clip - https://twitter.com/Todd_Dybas/status/1538259567791972353?s=20&t=kQ8EgkW7ZW2Tqzbi4BilyA

Offline imref

« Reply #124: June 20, 2022, 04:59:02 PM »
Did anyone hear anything about Eaton, Dunn, Willingham, or Wilson Ramos? I was surprised none of them were at the ballpark this weekend or recorded any messages. Well, maybe not Ramos given how he suffered the ACL tear on an errant Zimm throw.