Author Topic: End of an Era - Zimmerman retires  (Read 4185 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
End of an Era - Zimmerman retires
« Topic Start: February 15, 2022, 03:15:12 PM »
It's official

Full Statement:

Dear D.C.,
When we first met I was a 20-year-old kid fresh out of the University of Virginia – the very first player ever selected by the newly created Washington Nationals in the 2005 draft. I had no idea how unbelievable the next 17 years of my life were going to be.

We have won together, lost together and, honestly, grown up together. We lost 100 games (twice), we won 90 games (four times), we moved into a new stadium, we failed to get out of the first round of the playoffs (four grueling times) and, of course, we experienced the magical World Series run of 2019 that no one will ever forget. Through all of the achievements and the failures you always supported me, and for that I will forever be grateful.

To the Lerner family, Mike Rizzo and the entire Washington Nationals organization: Thank you for believing in me and standing by me even when it wasn’t convenient. To play on one team for 17 years takes many sacrifices from both sides. I appreciate all that you did for me and my family, and I can’t wait to be involved – in many ways – moving forward.

To all my managers and coaches throughout my career: Each and every one of you taught me something different about the game and life that made me the player and person I am today. Your humble sacrifices and time commitments to the players are a big reason why baseball is the best game in the world. You may not always get the recognition you deserve, but the players know your value.

To all the trainers, strength coaches and medical staff: Simply put, there is no chance I would be writing this letter without each and every one of you. It was truly a team effort to keep me on the field some days. The amount of time and energy you committed to my career will never be forgotten. Thank you so much!

To all of my teammates: You guys are what I will miss most about the game of baseball. Having the opportunity to get to know so many different people from all over the country and the world has shaped who I am as a person, and I will use that for the rest of my life. The team dinners, the cross-country flights, the team parties and so many other activities – I will never forget.  To the veteran guys that taught me the right way to do things from the beginning, thank you! I was able to pass along those lessons to the younger guys I played with to try to leave the game better than when I arrived, just like you challenged me to do. It was an honor to be a part of the special brotherhood that is Major League Baseball. To have the opportunity to compete at such a high level was a privilege and I can honestly say I didn’t take for granted one single day.

To the CAA Sports team (Brodie, Jeff, Tom, Sean, Jennifer, Matt, Ed and many more): Thanks for your advice and guidance throughout my entire career. You provided me and my family with the best information to make strategic and impactful business decisions both on and off the field. I am incredibly grateful for your expertise, and the countless hours of work helped mold my career in more ways then you will ever know. I can’t wait to see what we do next.

To my unbelievable family: Thank you for always being there to support me, through everything. Thank you, Mom, for showing me what true courage and strength looks like. Thank you, Dad, for being such a great role model and always allowing me to lean on you for advice. Thank you, Shawn, for teaching me how to compete and for always pushing me to be the best version of me.

To my beautiful wife, Heather: Thank you for sacrificing so much to allow me to play the game that I love. Your energy and positive attitude on a daily basis, no matter what was going on, is the most incredible thing I have ever seen. It challenged me to be a better person and player. I love you so much.

To my kids, Mackenzie, Hayden, Henry and Benjamin: Thank you for teaching me that baseball is not even close to the most important thing in the world. You guys changed my perspective on a lot of things and made me a better person. I am so excited to have the ability to be around a lot more, and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for each of you. If you work hard and make good choices, your opportunities are endless!

Although my baseball career has come to an end, my family and I will continue to be heavily involved in the DMV community. You have given so much to us over the past 17 years; it is now time for us to give back to you. We look forward to continuing many of our community programs and starting new ones in the future.
Our kids will be raised here, as this is now our home, and we couldn’t be more excited.

So this is not a goodbye but more of a “see you around.”
– Employee No. 11

Offline Mattionals

Re: End of an Era - Zimmerman retires
« Reply #1: February 15, 2022, 03:18:01 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: February 15, 2022, 03:18:30 PM »
Mr. Walkoff walks off into the sunset. What a remarkable career!

Offline imref

« Reply #3: February 15, 2022, 03:19:29 PM »
Hopefully we get a season so they can retire his uniform number and put him into the ring of fame.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: February 15, 2022, 03:20:34 PM »
Hopefully we get a season so they can retire his uniform number and put him into the ring of fame.

Seriously, we didn't get the victory lap after the wold series. Hopefully we get an opening day to retire his number

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #5: February 15, 2022, 03:23:24 PM »
So happy he could be a useful part of the 2019 WS.   What a remarkable difference that made to his career and legacy.   

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: February 15, 2022, 03:23:38 PM »
Good luck Ryan and thanks for everything.  Glad you got a championship. 

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #7: February 15, 2022, 03:36:14 PM »
Thanks for everything, #11.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #8: February 15, 2022, 03:40:25 PM »
It was time. Goodbye Face, thanks for every great memory!

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #9: February 15, 2022, 03:52:46 PM »
What is your favorite Zim moment in history? Walkoff against the Yankees? Those (good) nasty sidearm throws from 3B?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #10: February 15, 2022, 04:00:50 PM »
Not besbol, but Zim and Max in Caps hockey gear screaming their heads off at Stanley Cup Finals Game 4 was pretty awesome.

There were so many amazing walkoffs.     
What is your favorite Zim moment in history? Walkoff against the Yankees? Those (good) nasty sidearm throws from 3B?

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #11: February 15, 2022, 04:03:53 PM »
Where do we think the statue is going to be placed?

Offline imref

« Reply #12: February 15, 2022, 04:09:56 PM »
Where do we think the statue is going to be placed?

it will likely be at the 3rd base gate for a while, then moved to the 1st base gate.

Offline imref

« Reply #13: February 15, 2022, 04:10:37 PM »

1st. Walk-off against the Yankees at RFK on Father's Day. We were there.
2nd. First home run in Nats World Series history in Game 1.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: February 15, 2022, 04:10:51 PM »
Just put it at 3rd base. It will be as effective as anyone whose been there since Zimmerman

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #15: February 15, 2022, 04:19:18 PM »
I guess the Salt Line can serve as statue-by-proxy until that time
it will likely be at the 3rd base gate for a while, then moved to the 1st base gate.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #16: February 15, 2022, 04:22:06 PM »
Just put it at 3rd base. It will be as effective as anyone whose been there since Zimmerman
I guess the Rendon years are dead to us now?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #17: February 15, 2022, 04:24:12 PM »
Are you forgetting Rendon who was on a remarkable career path of his own. Don't want to diminish Zim as he was a "mensch" throughout his 17 years as a human being , son, father and philanthropist. He will always be the face as Babe Ruth was and is the Yankees.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: February 15, 2022, 04:25:16 PM »
It's amazing how fast I forget about him

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #19: February 15, 2022, 04:34:20 PM »
It's amazing how fast I forget about him
He was kind of a wallflower personality.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #20: February 15, 2022, 04:35:55 PM »
The indispensable Washington National. Better players have come and gone, but Zimmerman will always have a special place. I think he is leaving at the right time. He'll leave after a good year and with a little left in the tank.

There were so many great Zimmerman moments. His first homer in the World Series is my favorite moment but there are so many.

Great to watch his career as he went from an exciting young player, then became an elite 3B, faded due to injuries as the team became elite around him, rebounding as a slugger, then finding his late career niche as a role player on the championship team.

I look forward to him being recognized in the future in many different ways.

Offline imref

« Reply #21: February 15, 2022, 04:44:53 PM »
A lot of my memories of Zimmerman come from taking my kids to see him at Potomac during his many rehab assignments. He would always sign autographs and chat with the kids. I had about a two second conversation with him once as I had absolutely no idea what to say other than 'welcome back, can't wait to see in you back in D.C.' to which he replied "thanks".

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #22: February 15, 2022, 04:52:14 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :cheers:

A National for life.  By far the best thing to come from the dark years of MLB ownership.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #23: February 15, 2022, 05:07:00 PM »
I don't even have the words for this.

Truly the end of an era.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #24: February 15, 2022, 05:13:56 PM »

Walk-off home run against the Braves in the first home game in Nats park.

I was hoping he would play one more year if the National League got the DH.