Author Topic: Washington Commanders? Really? Thread (2022)  (Read 11428 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
St Louis beckons. Once he arrives, he'll have another decade to destroy the good will moving will get him

if that happens, few would have the blues in D.C. :)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
They won’t let him move a team out of DC without a replacement lined up. He’s running out of options. A deal with the DC government where he puts up most of the money is his best chance to redeem himself.
The Ravens limit the importance of the DC market.  I could see saying NoVA matters as a business center more than St L, but otherwise I'd think the geographic considerations favor a move out of the DC area. 

Online imref

Snyder announcing he's paying for a new stadium on the RFK site could almost, maybe, possibly, redeem him.

Online Natsinpwc

Snyder announcing he's paying for a new stadium on the RFK site could almost, maybe, possibly, redeem him.
He would never pay for it all but maybe 50% or so to return the team to DC.

Online Natsinpwc

The Ravens limit the importance of the DC market.  I could see saying NoVA matters as a business center more than St L, but otherwise I'd think the geographic considerations favor a move out of the DC area.

It's an Iconic franchise no matter the economics.  Won't happen.  Years ago they could do stuff like that in secret and spring it on everyone.  Now it will all leak out and the public sentiment would kill it.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Would St Louis want this train wreck?

It's an Iconic franchise no matter the economics.  Won't happen.  Years ago they could do stuff like that in secret and spring it on everyone.  Now it will all leak out and the public sentiment would kill it.

Offline HalfSmokes

DC doesn’t want him at RFK

https://wtop.com/dc/2022/06/majority-of-dc-council-doesnt-support-commanders-stadium-at-rfk-va-tables-bill/

Finding another location there and developing the site would be tough

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Come on, Angelos. DC and Baltimore are two separate markets.

Online imref

https://wtop.com/dc/2022/06/majority-of-dc-council-doesnt-support-commanders-stadium-at-rfk-va-tables-bill/

There’s always West Virginia

Online imref

Larry Hogan says he expects the Commanders will stay at the FedEx site as they have nowhere else to go. Maryland has already authorized $400 million for Blue line corridor improvements and stadium demolition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/06/09/virginia-commanders-stadium-bill-dc/

Offline machpost

I think the Del Rio comment is more cover for folks wanting to get out of a bad deal than an actual surprising shock that upsets what everyone thought about the club. 
Yeah, that comment was just the icing on the cake. The other, actual allegations of misconduct are what will ultimately keep Snyder from getting the stadium he wants, not the ramblings of a coach with the social conscience of a caveman.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Come on, Angelos. DC and Baltimore are two separate markets.
:lol:

I think the separation is more important for baseball than football.  Football is more national TV dependent, more of a big event each game, than the 162 game drag.  Football fans are more inclined to drag themselves out from 9 AM to 5 to go to a 1 O'clock game than baseball fans. Baseball is a much more localized sport.  Butts in the seats, metro, RSNs matter, as well as quick in and out before and after the game.  OPACY was just not accessible on the time frames  that baseball fans want for 81 home games than what football fans put up with.  Seriously, how much more inaccessible is M&T than FedEx or even RFK given the number of hours fans are willing to spend for a football game?

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
To quote the great American philosophers, Mötley Crüe, "Don't go away mad (just go away)"

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

I really dont understand DC's obsession with keeping RFK, but doing nothing with it

Offline HalfSmokes

I really dont understand DC's obsession with keeping RFK, but doing nothing with it

You don't understand why a neighborhood would value green space?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Larry Hogan says he expects the Commanders will stay at the FedEx site as they have nowhere else to go. Maryland has already authorized $400 million for Blue line corridor improvements and stadium demolition.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/06/09/virginia-commanders-stadium-bill-dc/
The proposed Virginia sites make a Prince George's Co rebirth seem so much better.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
You can sell me on better uses of RFK than another stadium. And I support DC saying "not one cent" to the construction of the stadium itself. But I don't see the point in saying absolutely no to an NFL stadium there.

They can't even tear down the stadium. It's pushed back to 2024? The area needs massive infrastructure improvements and is a huge space, once they even tear it down. And the city right now doesn't have best relationship with developers. I love the vision of a massive space with tons of new housing, green spaces, grocery stores, and other community buildings. I just don't know how they get there.

I easily can foresee a situation come 2028 when the Commanders are in a new Prince George's Co. stadium while RFK is still in process of being torn down with no clear plan about what comes next.

They could easily tear down RFK, build a new stadium, and then have some room left for better development in the area. And with Virginia (rightly) balking and Maryland's solid being good but not game changing, I could see the Commanders, under Snyder or a preferably new group, taking the short term cost jump to move to the RFK site and do more heavy lifting on related costs.

Long story short, I think DC has the best of intentions for the location. And that's why I am worried 15-20 years from now we'll look back and be frustrated the city said no to "better" in pursuit of "perfect."

Online Natsinpwc

That old
Stadium sitting there is green space?

Offline HalfSmokes

That old
Stadium sitting there is green space?

If they ever get permission to rip it down, the current site plan is a rec center, fields, an RFK memorial, and green space

Online Slateman

There is already a stadium plus the armory there.

Offline 1995hoo

Something I don't understand: While I was eating lunch, I was reading the newspaper and there was an article about the ongoing saga of a new stadium to replace FedEx. It noted, as many articles do, that the team is contractually obligated to play there until 2027. I wondered, as I have in the past, to whom they owe that contractual obligation. Dan Snyder owns both the stadium and the team. Was there some contract signed with PG County or the State of Maryland as part of a deal to make infrastructure improvements when Jack Kent Cooke built the stadium?

Online Natsinpwc

If they ever get permission to rip it down, the current site plan is a rec center, fields, an RFK memorial, and green space
The best laid plans….

Online Natsinpwc

Let them stay in Raljon.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
McLaurin with a 3-year extension

First unquestionably good news for the Commanders in I don’t know how long

Online Slateman

3 years/71 million

Seems like a lot for a guy who seems to disappear