Author Topic: Washington Commanders? Really? Thread (2022)  (Read 11438 times)

Offline Five Banners

Re: Washington Commanders? Really? Thread (2022)
« Reply #175: February 25, 2022, 07:24:34 PM »
The Sterling-Loudoun site is in an area that has had tremendous growth in data centers and residential housing in recent years. I assume they'd run shuttle busses to the nearest silver line Metro, but it just seems like an awful spot for a stadium. I would have assumed they'd put it out Route 7 near One Loudoun.

Looks like it’s the same site that was targeted for a ballpark back in 2004, near the CIT building and near where the Innovation Center Metro stop is supposed to be built. They want to use the same stadium authority, maybe they can get out some of the old plans that they had regarding infrastructure.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #177: February 27, 2022, 10:13:24 AM »
Put the Snyder stadium in West Virginia. He has made it clear that he doesn't need fans to make a profit. Transportation does not matter. Does the AMTRAK / B&O line run through Harpers Ferry? Snyder could run a special train from Union Station for the hundreds of fans. Sell stale peanuts.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #178: February 27, 2022, 10:28:37 AM »
Put the Snyder stadium in West Virginia. He has made it clear that he doesn't need fans to make a profit. Transportation does not matter. Does the AMTRAK / B&O line run through Harpers Ferry? Snyder could run a special train from Union Station for the hundreds of fans. Sell stale peanuts.
Lots of beautiful wide open highways in West Virginia. Should be nice.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #179: February 27, 2022, 01:44:28 PM »

Amtrak's Capitol Limited (ultimate destination Chicago) serves both Harpers Ferry and Martinsburg. It leaves Union Station at 16.05 and arrives in Harpers Ferry at 17.16 and at Martinsburg at 17.45. The return trip leaves Martinsburg at 11.01 and Harpers Ferry at 11.31 and reaches Union Station at 13.05.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
MARC runs out there from Union Station all the time. Gotta compete with freight though. Not sure how bad Sundays are.

Amtrak's Capitol Limited (ultimate destination Chicago) serves both Harpers Ferry and Martinsburg. It leaves Union Station at 16.05 and arrives in Harpers Ferry at 17.16 and at Martinsburg at 17.45. The return trip leaves Martinsburg at 11.01 and Harpers Ferry at 11.31 and reaches Union Station at 13.05.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Schefter reports that the Commanders are trading for Carson Wentz for two third round picks.

Super bowl!

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Schefter reports that the Commanders are trading for Carson Wentz.
Confirmed.

Awful. Just awful.

Offline Natsinpwc

Confirmed.

Awful. Just awful.
That’s funny because I had just read this. Just remember this is the guy went up to Foles after the Super Bowl win and first thing he says is soemthing along the lines of “this is me next year.”  What a putz.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2022/3/9/22968823/carson-wentz-voiced-his-displeasure-eagles-success-to-other-injured-players-during-super-bowl-run

Offline imref

I find this hard to believe, but Wentz was 9th in QBR last year:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Offline HalfSmokes

Mediocrity here we come

Offline Natsinpwc

Shows you that is a flawed metric.  Game manager who was aided by a great line and running game.  I believe he was #23 in PFF's ratings. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022

He threw 27 TDs and only 7 interceptions last yar. The stats are good. And for the second time in as many seasons, a team was very happy to get rid of him. Red flags everywhere.

If they draft a first round QB and Wentz is a clear bridge, I won't be totally sickened. I won't agree, but it is a defensible position that Wentz give you a shot at the playoffs in year 1 while Pickett or Willis sits on the bench.

But if they don't go QB in the first and it becomes clear they're test driving Wentz for long term, this is a horrible move.

Offline Natsinpwc

He threw 27 TDs and only 7 interceptions last yar. The stats are good. And for the second time in as many seasons, a team was very happy to get rid of him. Red flags everywhere.

If they draft a first round QB and Wentz is a clear bridge, I won't be totally sickened. I won't agree, but it is a defensible position that Wentz give you a shot at the playoffs in year 1 while Pickett or Willis sits on the bench.

But if they don't go QB in the first and it becomes clear they're test driving Wentz for long term, this is a horrible move.
He doesn’t throw interceptions because he holds the ball and will not throw it downfield anymore. Watch his fumbles lost increase this year to his normal output with a weaker line

How would you expect him to get Washington into the playoffs when he could not do it with Indy team with a good defense and great running game. What I don’t understand is why give up draft picks and pay this guy $25 million to be a bridge? Other mediocre QBs will be available as free agents. When they draft a QB he will have a meltdown as he did when the Eagles drafted Hurts.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
He doesn’t throw interceptions because he holds the ball and will not throw it downfield anymore. Watch his fumbles lost increase this year to his normal output with a weaker line

How would you expect him to get Washington into the playoffs when he could not do it with Indy team with a good defense and great running game. What I don’t understand is why give up draft picks and pay this guy $25 million to be a bridge? Other mediocre QBs will be available as free agents. When they draft a QB he will have a meltdown as he did when the Eagles drafted Hurts.
I don't think Wentz is a playoff QB. I'm just saying if you look at his stats and claim the defense is going to bounce back and the addition of another receiver and a healthy Logan Thomas means we have a playoff shot.

I think that's too many "ifs" but I can see the team making the argument.

And that's a fair point on the Hurts. I don't know. I freaking hate this. I hope they draft a QB and eat the draft pick loss after cutting Wentz in camp.

Offline HalfSmokes

Too much of this team sucks way too much for Went to be the difference.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Too much of this team sucks way too much for Went to be the difference.
We had $33 million in cap. Now we have a cap crunch.

Heinicke was rough. But you could have sold me on counting on a defensive bounce back, a new receiver across from McLaurin, and a now veteran Heinicke being a playoff contender much more easily than Wentz and whatever is put around him.

The worst thing is I bet they panicked after missing on Russell Wilson and immediately got what they could. They'll wake up and regret this a week from now.

Offline HalfSmokes

I'd rather have the third round picks.

Offline Natsinpwc

Here are the contract details. I just don’t get the trade. Thanks Snyder and Rivera from an Eagles fan.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-commanders/carson-wentz-18950/

Offline Natsinpwc

We had $33 million in cap. Now we have a cap crunch.

Heinicke was rough. But you could have sold me on counting on a defensive bounce back, a new receiver across from McLaurin, and a now veteran Heinicke being a playoff contender much more easily than Wentz and whatever is put around him.

The worst thing is I bet they panicked after missing on Russell Wilson and immediately got what they could. They'll wake up and regret this a week from now.
Mitch Trubisky is available!

Offline 1995hoo

Channel 4 sports was showing various tweets from Eagles fans who are excited to see their team face Wentz twice a year….

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Mitch Trubisky is available!
He wasn't coming here. Giants with Daboll makes too much sense.

JP Finlay and his group had a good emergency pod. I agree with them. Pretty easy to see how Carson Wentz combined with a defensive bounceback gets this team to 10-7 and the playoffs. But that doesn't get the Commanders any closer to a playoff win or excitement.

This just feels like a gross trade by a desperate front office. I assumed Rivera had at least four years, but this reeks of a move that you make when you think you may be closing in on the chopping block.

I'd much rather them have run it back with Heinicke and them use cap to add a receiver across from McLaurin. Then pick up a QB in the first.

This team is going to be "fine" this year. I sort of expect they'll win 8 or 9 games, barring the defense falling apart again. But that knocks you out of a high draft pick and you have a little less in the bank next year to chase a big time QB with. Wentz isn't the long term answer.

Offline imref

Mediocrity here we come

You think they’ll improve that much?

Offline HalfSmokes

You think they’ll improve that much?

If everything falls into place they have a chance to make a push to just miss the playoffs

Offline Natsinpwc

Reich was Wentz’s offensive coach for his first two years and obviously was behind bringing him to Indy. And then gave up on him after one year there.  Heineke be like I thought they were trying to bring in someone better than me. Anyone who thinks Thai move will help is crazy.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/09/colts-were-determined-to-move-on-from-carson-wentz/