Author Topic: Washington Commanders? Really? Thread (2022)  (Read 11419 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Washington Commanders? Really? Thread (2022)
« Reply #100: February 03, 2022, 05:48:38 PM »
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Mayor Bowser nag-slapped him.
Build a new stadium at the RFK site and be done with it:
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #102: February 03, 2022, 06:30:50 PM »
The new website URL was registered a couple of hours before the announcement that they were relinquishing the name Redskins.

So much bullcrap from them. So, so much bullcrap.

Offline GburgNatsFan

How about the roman numerals that they've used to identify Superbowls forever? :doh:
They just did by years of championships. Not my taste, but I'm not too worried about that.

Yesterday, JP Finlay was melting down about it but B Mitch, who played, said players refer to it was the "'92 Super Bowl"

Think that comes down to personal preference.

Offline GburgNatsFan

Agreed on Maryland football fans migrating over a generation to the Ravens. The Redskins/WFT/Commanders really screwed up.

I think Virginia is much more Redskins/WFT/Commanders friendly than Maryland. 25 years ago it was probably even.

Now the Ravens have had a couple decades to build a fanbase in Maryland. All the energy in that state is for the Ravens. The Commanders being located in Maryland is more an oddity than anything.

I forgot that the Silver Line is supposed to open up sometime this century out to at least Ashburn. That helps a bit.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #105: February 03, 2022, 08:22:40 PM »
I would really like to know what percentage of fans arrive to football games via mass transit. I dont think its nearly as high as other sports.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #106: February 04, 2022, 03:56:48 AM »
 :hysterical: This all makes me glad I gave up on this team years ago. 

The uniforms are ass ugly too.  That W logo on the helmet...oof.  Funny enough, I saw a circular insignia that had the same W logo on a burgundy background but the W was white.  That actually looked decent, so naturally this stupid team went with the inferior option (the W logo need not be gold if they have enough gold elsewhere in the uni).

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #107: February 04, 2022, 03:58:57 AM »
I think a set of yellow pants would have been a good addition, but otherwise, these are thoroughly adequate and certainly superior to the Guardians snooze fest.

:lmao: What are you smoking?  This ALMOST makes the Guardians change look decent.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #108: February 04, 2022, 07:24:24 AM »
:lmao: What are you smoking?  This ALMOST makes the Guardians change look decent.
wait.  Yellow pants would have been functional when they play the Cowboys.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #109: February 04, 2022, 12:34:02 PM »
I don't think gold pants would have worked with these uniforms. And any gold pants look with this uniform would look too much like the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Uniform opinions are all personal opinion, but I've gone from not liking the black alternates to thinking they're elite. They'll look awesome next season on Monday Night when some NFC East opponent nukes this team by four touchdowns at FedEx.

I still refuse to believe the burgundy in the home and away uniforms are the same as the team is claiming.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110: February 04, 2022, 01:19:38 PM »
I don't think gold pants would have worked with these uniforms. And any gold pants look with this uniform would look too much like the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Uniform opinions are all personal opinion, but I've gone from not liking the black alternates to thinking they're elite. They'll look awesome next season on Monday Night when some NFC East opponent nukes this team by four touchdowns at FedEx.

I still refuse to believe the burgundy in the home and away uniforms are the same as the team is claiming.
  TBH, you kind of have to see the unis on the field in a pack to really judge.  I think the white with the burgundy numerals might work.  I mean, people love Penn State's look. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #111: February 04, 2022, 01:53:17 PM »
Maybe they could wear their all blacks when they face the Eagles in their all blacks. With New Zealand announcers.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112: February 04, 2022, 04:09:53 PM »
Maybe they could wear their all blacks when they face the Eagles in their all blacks. With New Zealand announcers.
philly fans would start throwing kiwis on the field.  Not necessarily just the fruit.  The birds.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #113: February 04, 2022, 04:52:28 PM »
philly fans would start throwing kiwis on the field.  Not necessarily just the fruit.  The birds.
Yep.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114: February 04, 2022, 04:56:22 PM »
Yep.
maybe also a random New Zealand tourist too.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #115: February 04, 2022, 05:07:01 PM »
There is a lot of peeing on legs in those games
wait.  Yellow pants would have been functional when they play the Cowboys.

Offline rileyn

« Reply #116: February 05, 2022, 06:49:32 AM »
Unpopular opinion:  Two days later, the W logo is growing on me and I'm coming around on the burgundy helmets. 

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #117: February 05, 2022, 11:05:15 AM »
Unpopular opinion:  Two days later, the W logo is growing on me and I'm coming around on the burgundy helmets.

I think the W logo and the red (not sure if really burgundy) helmet are fine, if unimaginative.  The white jersey needs work, particularly with the shade of red as many others have noted.  I'm not a fan of having black third jerseys, but I think theirs may end up looking okay for what they are. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #118: February 05, 2022, 02:54:20 PM »
The 1952 Pittsburgh Pirates were one of the worst MLB teams of the modern era. Yet they found a place in history by being the first MLB team to wear batting helmets. These earliest models were rather hard and uncomfortable; one day, one of the Pirates players asked the manager 'Wouldn't these helmets be better with some foam padding in them?' and the manager replied 'No, they'd be better with some ballplayers in them'.

The meaning here is: any discussion of the colour kit the Commanders (or any other team) will be wearing will ultimately be academic...what is essential is that this team get back to winning. When this team starts winning again it won't matter if the team is wearing slate-grey jerseys and institutional-green pants with pink polka dots.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #119: February 05, 2022, 11:02:40 PM »
The 1952 Pittsburgh Pirates were one of the worst MLB teams of the modern era. Yet they found a place in history by being the first MLB team to wear batting helmets. These earliest models were rather hard and uncomfortable; one day, one of the Pirates players asked the manager 'Wouldn't these helmets be better with some foam padding in them?' and the manager replied 'No, they'd be better with some ballplayers in them'.

The meaning here is: any discussion of the colour kit the Commanders (or any other team) will be wearing will ultimately be academic...what is essential is that this team get back to winning. When this team starts winning again it won't matter if the team is wearing slate-grey jerseys and institutional-green pants with pink polka dots.

Oh, come on.  Bad logos and uniforms may be easier to tolerate by fans of a winning team, but they still matter.  More to some than to others, but I don't think there are too many people who simply don't care at all.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #120: February 05, 2022, 11:14:42 PM »
Per the team, 80% of fans didnt want to change the name. So adding ugly/silly uniforms isnt going to help increase an already dwindling fanbase

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #121: February 06, 2022, 12:23:30 AM »
People got used to the Wizards and that was a significantly worse name and the original uniform set was trash.

Online Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #122: February 06, 2022, 06:03:47 AM »
I read a blog post somewhere where the blogger said the new name sounded like the kind of fake team name you'd see in a TV detective show like Law & Order or NCIS. Sounds about right.

If they were going to pick a meaningless generic name, they should have gone with the Washington Sentinels from The Replacements.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #123: February 06, 2022, 07:10:40 AM »
People got used to the Wizards and that was a significantly worse name and the original uniform set was trash.

Pollin was never hated the way Snyder is. The commanders fan base is dead at this point. If Snyder was even moderately competent and not an awful human being, the team would probably be debuting a great downtown stadium in a year or two , instead, they’ll go to whatever exurb will take them and pretend that was always the plan

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #124: February 06, 2022, 08:27:34 AM »

I’ve always wondered why Pollin chose name that could be construed as a Ku Klux Klan reference for a majority-black team in a majority-black sport in a heavily-black city. Now, if Donald Sterling had owned the team…