Author Topic: Washington Commanders? Really? Thread (2022)  (Read 11971 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Welch, I feel your pain.

But when we trade for QB X and grind out 10 wins and a close playoff loss, you’ll be right back on board next to me!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Well, one reason people figure out the Field of Jeans is that a fairly large percentage of Niners fans were already coming up the Peninsula, not down it.  For them, the new place is just easier than Candlestick was.  Levis is literally on San Jose's mass transit system.

There's a difference between building a stadium in the middle of distant suburbia and building one that's very convenient to a large city, albeit not the one in the team name.
From what area do the majority of Washington fans come from to attend games? Im betting its not Maryland or DC.

Honestly, I cant imagine the attendance getting any worse by moving a stadium to Virginia.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
dumb name, dumb change, dumb franchise, dumb league.  Please put it in dumb city and let them pay for it.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I think the majority of the redskins fanbase is in Virginia at this point. The problem is that any location on mass transit in Virginia will probably be too expensive because those areas are already built up. 
I wonder why there's no serious talk about building over metro yards or highways?  You look at the repair yard out on Eisenhower Ave or infill over 395.  Boston does this like crazy, and DC has done it over 395.  You'd have metro access and could even connect the streetscape.  All things considered, I wouldn't think it adds that much cost to a $500 - 750 million project.  The income from whatever rent Metro would help.

Offline 1995hoo

I wonder why there's no serious talk about building over metro yards or highways?  You look at the repair yard out on Eisenhower Ave or infill over 395.  Boston does this like crazy, and DC has done it over 395.  You'd have metro access and could even connect the streetscape.  All things considered, I wouldn't think it adds that much cost to a $500 - 750 million project.  The income from whatever rent Metro would help.

DC reportedly considered doing that for what became Nats Park over I-395 down near the Southwest Waterfront (roughly between the overpass leading to the 12th Street Tunnel and the overpass coming from the 9th Street Tunnel). Apparently the cost was deemed prohibitive.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
So DC now has a well balanced sports environment- Commies and Natsies... ;)
:thumbs:

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
https://twitter.com/michaelpRTD/status/1489004217071280129

Here is explainer on all the jerseys. The home and alternate jerseys are awesome, the white jersey concept makes sense but I still don't understand how anyone saw the final version and didn't say, "No."

Offline HalfSmokes

https://twitter.com/michaelpRTD/status/1489004217071280129

Here is explainer on all the jerseys. The home and alternate jerseys are awesome, the white jersey concept makes sense but I still don't understand how anyone saw the final version and didn't say, "No."

Do they explain why the crest honors the 1992 team instead of the 1991 team?

Offline HalfSmokes

I think Alexandria City would fight tooth and nail to keep in away from Eisenhower. The traffic there is already a nightmare. Hoffman center is getting redeveloped and that seems to be pushing up Eisenhower slowly. I think the city would probably prefer that kind of organic growth.

Offline Natsinpwc

Might as well move them to Fredericksburg. Traffic on I95 is always fun.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Might as well move them to Fredericksburg. Traffic on I95 is always fun.

They could play at the FredNats ballpark

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Do they explain why the crest honors the 1992 team instead of the 1991 team?
They just did by years of championships. Not my taste, but I'm not too worried about that.

Yesterday, JP Finlay was melting down about it but B Mitch, who played, said players refer to it was the "'92 Super Bowl"

Think that comes down to personal preference.

Offline Natsinpwc

They could play at the FredNats ballpark
Probably too big.

Maybe they could just rotate games in VA. Norfolk. Richmond. Roanoke.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Worst part of yesterday was doing it on the TODAY show and not just an announcement to local media.

Instead of an unveiling with the drape falling down, you got an intro of TODAY calling the old name racist, talking about controversy, before going to Wright, Williams, and Allen looking confused before Doug Williams finally saying, "We're the Commanders!"

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I think the majority of the redskins fanbase is in Virginia at this point. The problem is that any location on mass transit in Virginia will probably be too expensive because those areas are already built up. 
Do you need mass transit for football? I dont think you do.

Offline HalfSmokes

you do if you want the kind of mass development that makes ownership money. The football part is almost irrelevant

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
I was reading about NY Jets tailgaters - apparently a lot of them just stay in the parking lots and don't even enter the stadium.  That is postmodern AF. 

Offline Natsinpwc

Other cities survive without it.  Can’t tailgate on the metro.

Offline HalfSmokes

Other cities survive without it.  Can’t tailgate on the metro.

The question is will any local governments let a giant mixed use complex get built without access to mass transit. Just a stadium would tank the franchise value and I can't see Snyder going for that

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I was reading about NY Jets tailgaters - apparently a lot of them just stay in the parking lots and don't even enter the stadium.  That is postmodern AF. 
That's pretty common and has been for decades. Especially at college stadiums. Tailgating is the experience.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Just depends on the city. In almost all college towns? No. In the NFL? I'd say yes for almost every team.

In NFL cities you see a lot of people who don't own cars. As rough as FedEx Field is, it is probably quicker to metro home in DC than it is to fight traffic. The place can be a ghost town and some how be a terrible traffic experience.

Offline Natsinpwc

Just depends on the city. In almost all college towns? No. In the NFL? I'd say yes for almost every team.

In NFL cities you see a lot of people who don't own cars. As rough as FedEx Field is, it is probably quicker to metro home in DC than it is to fight traffic. The place can be a ghost town and some how be a terrible traffic experience.
WTF are you talking about? And some of the places that have some type of rail system most folks are not getting there that way.  Do you seriously think most fans in LA will take the train into Inglewood?

https://www.reddit.com/r/transit/comments/qalpd1/public_rail_transit_to_nfl_stadiums/

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
WTF are you talking about? And some of the places that have some type of rail system most folks are not getting there that way.  Do you seriously think most fans in LA will take the train into Inglewood?

https://www.reddit.com/r/transit/comments/qalpd1/public_rail_transit_to_nfl_stadiums/
On the reddit thread you shared, it points out they're trying to build light rail near the stadium. I've never been to LA. But I just plugged and played a bit on Google Maps and it seems there is convenient buses to the stadium.

I don't know about "most" fans getting to the stadium by mass transit. But I think for stadiums serving dense cities, it is extremely convenient to have mass transit access. You don't "need" mass transit for anything. Look at DC. Washington Nationals games you see all hell break loose every time we have a primetime game and people wonder when mass transit will shut down. The game goes on even if they don't extend hours, but it is a more pleasant experience if mass transit stays open late.

Offline Natsinpwc

On the reddit thread you shared, it points out they're trying to build light rail near the stadium. I've never been to LA. But I just plugged and played a bit on Google Maps and it seems there is convenient buses to the stadium.

I don't know about "most" fans getting to the stadium by mass transit. But I think for stadiums serving dense cities, it is extremely convenient to have mass transit access. You don't "need" mass transit for anything. Look at DC. Washington Nationals games you see all hell break loose every time we have a primetime game and people wonder when mass transit will shut down. The game goes on even if they don't extend hours, but it is a more pleasant experience if mass transit stays open late.
Yea I saw that. But many of these stadiums are not downtown. And we have been talking about building a stadium in the VA suburbs. Also some of the stadiums have special services for the games because trains don’t run on weekends. It’s not a show stopper for a football stadium.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Washington Commanders? Really? Thread (2022)
« Reply #99: February 03, 2022, 05:31:46 PM »
updated thread title for new name.