Author Topic: Washington Commanders? Really? Thread (2022)  (Read 11990 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

I think there are arguably better uses for the RFK landplot than a new Commanders stadium. But short of the NFL doing a push to get that spot, I just don't think any other cause will make effective use of the land.

I'd love to see a large development of affordable housing and neighborhood services where RFK is. But I don't think it will happen. I do think if the NFL got a hold of the area, it could take off in a hurry. I'd love to grab a beer on H Street and take a trolley to the park. Also a very well placed metro stop already there.

If DC doesn't make a play for the Commanders, they better have a damn good plan for that area so an opportunity isn't missed in a case of perfect being the enemy of the good.

All that to say, if Virginia makes a huge bid toward attracting the team to NoVa, I think DC taxpayers will survive missing on the stadium.

Do you think the neighbors want the neighborhood to take off? Anything convenient in NOVA appears to be off the table, right now, it looks like Prince William or Loudon are the only places willing to take it.

Offline UMDNats

If the WFT wanted to be TRUE to the Washington, DC culture they would have named the team the Washington Raytheons

Offline Elvir Ovcina

If the WFT wanted to be TRUE to the Washington, DC culture they would have named the team the Washington Raytheons

I would have been okay with Washington Orioles.  It would be a match in terms of on-field competence and it would really, really piss off Angelos.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Speaking of which, this e-mail from birdland was in my spam folder this morning:

ON SALE TOMORROW - 2022 Single Game Tickets

In terms of supply and demand, this "on sale" basically means USAID will pay for them and send them to Darfur
I would have been okay with Washington Orioles.  It would be a match in terms of on-field competence and it would really, really piss off Angelos.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Don't for get the WC. For a toilet franchise, the initials are perfect
my thought, too

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Do you think the neighbors want the neighborhood to take off? Anything convenient in NOVA appears to be off the table, right now, it looks like Prince William or Loudon are the only places willing to take it.
I imagine a lot of people would be glad to have the neighborhood "take off" while many would prefer it not. I'm certain when Nationals Park was built there were plenty of people who felt both ways on it.

I wish there was a world where RFK was actually on the other side of the river. I like the idea of RFK being renovated and spurring growth in the area, but I worry that won't translate to across river. Too many people just subconsciously equate across the river as you're in Maryland or Virginia.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The One Loudoun area is the only place that a stadium would make sense.

Online imref

Build a new stadium at the RFK site and be done with it:

Offline HalfSmokes

I imagine a lot of people would be glad to have the neighborhood "take off" while many would prefer it not. I'm certain when Nationals Park was built there were plenty of people who felt both ways on it.

I wish there was a world where RFK was actually on the other side of the river. I like the idea of RFK being renovated and spurring growth in the area, but I worry that won't translate to across river. Too many people just subconsciously equate across the river as you're in Maryland or Virginia.

RFK is in the middle of a residential neighborhood, Nat park was built on a industrial land. Growth means traffic and noise neither or which seem to be popular with people living in row houses far away from down town

Offline HalfSmokes

The One Loudoun area is the only place that a stadium would make sense.

I think the land is too valuable for the kind of Jerry World that Snyder will want. I think maybe out past Leesburg the land may be cheap enough if you can ram it in past local objections

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I think the land is too valuable for the kind of Jerry World that Snyder will want. I think maybe out past Leesburg the land may be cheap enough if you can ram it in past local objections
I know stadiums don't have to be close to DC, but the thing I don't like about NoVa is it gets pretty far out there before some area makes sense.

The 49ers stadium is actually down in Santa Clara and people figure it out. But I'd hate to abandon FedEx only to move further from DC to an even less accessible pace for mass transit.

Offline HalfSmokes

I know stadiums don't have to be close to DC, but the thing I don't like about NoVa is it gets pretty far out there before some area makes sense.

The 49ers stadium is actually down in Santa Clara and people figure it out. But I'd hate to abandon FedEx only to move further from DC to an even less accessible pace for mass transit.

Land closer is valuable and no-one in Arlington/Fairfax/Alexandria is dumb enough to buy pro stadium economic arguments anymore. That means you either need cheap land or willing local governments. You have to go pretty far out to find either unless you want to stay in PG

Online imref

I think Snyder could go a long way toward repairing the damage he has caused by funding a new stadium on the RFK site.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Land closer is valuable and no-one in Arlington/Fairfax/Alexandria is dumb enough to buy pro stadium economic arguments anymore. That means you either need cheap land or willing local governments. You have to go pretty far out to find either unless you want to stay in PG
I agree this is reality. I just don't like it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/02/02/washington-commanders-stadium-football-politics/

This article makes it sounds like Virginia will be it. Maryland seems to be shrugging at keeping the team. They probably realize FedEx can't be renovated enough to save it.

I can wish DC could have it. But CM Allen and Mendelson tweets have me thinking not a chance in heck it happens when you a Virginia Governor and Senate Majority Leader of opposite parties both excited about the stadium.

I think we know which way this is going.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Don't for get the WC. For a toilet franchise, the initials are perfect
I like it. The Water Closets

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Seeing more pictures of the black jerseys and helmets on players and really growing on me. The patches pull it together. Big night game? I could learn to love those jerseys as an alternate.

The away jerseys are a disaster. I don't even know what they are trying to accomplish with them.

Offline 1995hoo

I like the use of rounded numbers on the new jerseys (contrast with the block-style digits on the old ones—I especially disliked the block-style "2" on the old uniforms, although of course that style was not unique to that franchise, as evidenced by the avatar in the post directly above this one).

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Well, one reason people figure out the Field of Jeans is that a fairly large percentage of Niners fans were already coming up the Peninsula, not down it.  For them, the new place is just easier than Candlestick was.  Levis is literally on San Jose's mass transit system.

There's a difference between building a stadium in the middle of distant suburbia and building one that's very convenient to a large city, albeit not the one in the team name.

Offline HalfSmokes

Well, one reason people figure out the Field of Jeans is that a fairly large percentage of Niners fans were already coming up the Peninsula, not down it.  For them, the new place is just easier than Candlestick was.  Levis is literally on San Jose's mass transit system.

There's a difference between building a stadium in the middle of distant suburbia and building one that's very convenient to a large city, albeit not the one in the team name.

I think the majority of the redskins fanbase is in Virginia at this point. The problem is that any location on mass transit in Virginia will probably be too expensive because those areas are already built up. 

Online imref

I think the majority of the redskins fanbase is in Virginia at this point. The problem is that any location on mass transit in Virginia will probably be too expensive because those areas are already built up. 

they could put a stadium at the end of the silver line, or replace a data center with one.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
I think Virginia is much more Redskins/WFT/Commanders friendly than Maryland. 25 years ago it was probably even.

Now the Ravens have had a couple decades to build a fanbase in Maryland. All the energy in that state is for the Ravens. The Commanders being located in Maryland is more an oddity than anything.

I forgot that the Silver Line is supposed to open up sometime this century out to at least Ashburn. That helps a bit.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
little dan snyder could have named the team the Presidents, the name of the EHL team in 1959 or so. That's not as wacko as "Commanders"

Still, the Redskins-WiFTies-Commanders have lost the Washington area fanbase. It is not so much the decades of losing and the preposterous things little dan did with QBs and coaches and everything else.

Snyder made the Redskins into his personal arena for the sexual abuse of women employees, right down to the woman who won a $1.6 million settlement after she sued him for sexual assault. That's enough.

Let the WCs lose every game. Let every government in the DC area refuse to give him a stadium to match Stan Kroenke's Los Angeles thing. Let little dan threaten to take his "team" somewhere else. Good riddance.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
Are you Keen on Commander?... ;)

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
So DC now has a well balanced sports environment- Commies and Natsies... ;)