Author Topic: Washington Commanders? Really? Thread (2022)  (Read 11424 times)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Team name is fine. Logos are strong. Home uniform is awesome. The away and alternate? I can only hope seeing more of them will improve my opinion. Gross.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
‘Commander’ was a brand of filterless cigarette (but 85mm long, like Pall Mall and Chesterfield King) made by Philip Morris…and supporters of the Burgundy and Gold have seen an awful lot go up in smoke over the past quarter-century.

Offline 1995hoo

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The ders?
well, the Cree referred called Carol Danvers "ders" because that was all that was left of her nametag, so "ders" could work.  IF only it helps the pass rush.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Offline aspenbubba

Are you sure it’s not the Commodes?

You beat me to it. That will be the unofficial name as long as Snyder owns the team.

Offline HalfSmokes

Go commies

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
I think a set of yellow pants would have been a good addition, but otherwise, these are thoroughly adequate and certainly superior to the Guardians snooze fest.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
The home burgundy set is about perfect. I always hated when the Redskins broke out burgundy on burgundy, but this set is clean. Probably will look great when they go red on white eventually.

The black jerseys are slowly growing on me. Going from strong dislike to neutral.

The home whites are rough. I didn't even know you could mess up an all white jersey, but they're just gross. Take the home jerseys, make them white, change nothing, would have been set.

Offline HondoKillebrew

It's a complete botch.  They made it easy to move on from this franchise.  (And I thought the name should've been changed a while ago so I didn't move on because of an attachment to the old name.)

Offline Count Walewski

I think it's a good name. It pays tribute to a major local industry like "Steelers" or "Packers" does. It's much better than Red Wolves or any of the other animal-themed names I heard speculated.

Washington Commies, Washington Cadets, Washington Corporals, and Washington Generals all come to mind as pejorative nicknames.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Its so on brand to freak this up.

Cant wait until this team gives up multiple picks for Jimmy G

Offline HalfSmokes

I think it's a good name. It pays tribute to a major local industry like "Steelers" or "Packers" does. It's much better than Red Wolves or any of the other animal-themed names I heard speculated.

Washington Commies, Washington Cadets, Washington Corporals, and Washington Generals all come to mind as pejorative nicknames.

Don't for get the WC. For a toilet franchise, the initials are perfect

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Shouldn't they have just gone with the Maryland Misfits or something that's at least accurate in terms of geographic location and the connection of the military to that location? 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Shouldn't they have just gone with the Maryland Misfits or something that's at least accurate in terms of geographic location and the connection of the military to that location? 

I suppose the organisation hasn't abandoned all hope of returning to the RFK site, unlikely though that is.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
This pretty much guarantees Leidos-branded everything at fedup field

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I suppose the organisation hasn't abandoned all hope of returning to the RFK site, unlikely though that is.

If they're going to do that, they should just move into RFK.  Snyder would manage to build something far worse than a dilapidated, too-small 60-year-old concrete doughnut. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Not sure about the too small part, they'd be tarping the upper deck
If they're going to do that, they should just move into RFK.  Snyder would manage to build something far worse than a dilapidated, too-small 60-year-old concrete doughnut. 

Offline Elvir Ovcina

Not sure about the too small part, they'd be tarping the upper deck

Truth.  It'd be like a DC United game except the fans would be cheering for the visitors.

Offline 1995hoo

I note RFK's capacity for football when the Redskins played their final season there was 55,750. FedEx now accommodates around 67,000 (due to removing a bunch of seats from the upper level and tarping over a bunch of others), but it's unclear how often they draw even that many. That's not all that much of a capacity difference in the scheme of things.

Offline HalfSmokes

DC doesn't want them (at least no neighborhood in DC wants them). They are going to be the prince William commanders when the dust settles

Offline Elvir Ovcina

I note RFK's capacity for football when the Redskins played their final season there was 55,750. FedEx now accommodates around 67,000 (due to removing a bunch of seats from the upper level and tarping over a bunch of others), but it's unclear how often they draw even that many. That's not all that much of a capacity difference in the scheme of things.

The team only averaged 53,000ish this season.

Online Natsinpwc

DC doesn't want them (at least no neighborhood in DC wants them). They are going to be the prince William commanders when the dust settles
We could bring back Prince Willie as mascot. 

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I think there are arguably better uses for the RFK landplot than a new Commanders stadium. But short of the NFL doing a push to get that spot, I just don't think any other cause will make effective use of the land.

I'd love to see a large development of affordable housing and neighborhood services where RFK is. But I don't think it will happen. I do think if the NFL got a hold of the area, it could take off in a hurry. I'd love to grab a beer on H Street and take a trolley to the park. Also a very well placed metro stop already there.

If DC doesn't make a play for the Commanders, they better have a damn good plan for that area so an opportunity isn't missed in a case of perfect being the enemy of the good.

All that to say, if Virginia makes a huge bid toward attracting the team to NoVa, I think DC taxpayers will survive missing on the stadium.