Author Topic: The future of the Rays  (Read 1542 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: The future of the Rays
« Reply #50: February 07, 2022, 10:49:17 AM »
It’s farther than you think. Nearly twice the distance from Philly to NYC

Not only that, but a lot of folks in the greater Austin-San Antonio area can't even see Astros games. 

Spectrum (formerly known as Time Warner, now owned by Charter) is a very prominent cable provider down here, and they don't carry the Trashtros' home network since it's owned by AT&T (Spectrum's major competitor in most of Texas).

Putting a team in Austin would do very little to encroach on the Astros' fanbase.

Granted, I don't see Austin as a particularly good destination for a sports franchise.  It's home to too many white collar types with marginal interest in sports.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #51: February 07, 2022, 10:49:41 AM »

Philly to NYC should never be the "bar" to measure distances between cities.  :hysterical:

It's like 90 miles or less as the crow flies. It's one step from saying how far DC is from Bmore.

Back on topic, given what we already know, it's going to be Nashvegas or Charlotte I think. Out west if the A's stadium plans fall through for real, they are either Portland or Las Vegas bound.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: February 07, 2022, 10:57:05 AM »
what it is relatively close to is San Antonio, another large metro.  Probably not close enough for weeknights, but for weekend day games it'd be doable (assuming a retractable roof).   

If there was a team in Austin, you'd assume one of the Rangers, Astros, or Austin would have to be in the NL.  I don't see all of texas being AL.

Nashville, Charlotte, probably Portland and Montreal I think are all ahead of Austin, barring big Texas $$$ getting involved.  Musk could change everything.

Oh - did the google on the distance from Houston to Austin - about 150 miles.  A bit further than Philly to DC.  A bit further than Dodgers stadium to Petco.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #53: February 07, 2022, 11:28:14 AM »
Not only that, but a lot of folks in the greater Austin-San Antonio area can't even see Astros games. 

Spectrum (formerly known as Time Warner, now owned by Charter) is a very prominent cable provider down here, and they don't carry the Trashtros' home network since it's owned by AT&T (Spectrum's major competitor in most of Texas).

Putting a team in Austin would do very little to encroach on the Astros' fanbase.

Granted, I don't see Austin as a particularly good destination for a sports franchise.  It's home to too many white collar types with marginal interest in sports.

it's home to lots of companies that would buy luxury suites and tickets, and the 18-49 demographic though.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #54: February 07, 2022, 05:47:51 PM »

It's home to too many white collar types

I thought that was WNFF?... ;)  :hysterical:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #55: February 08, 2022, 09:30:15 PM »

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #56: February 11, 2022, 07:54:06 PM »
Nearly a $1 billion price tag for the ybor city stadium:

https://www.axios.com/local/tampa-bay/2022/02/08/potential-rays-stadium-ybor-city-cost

A Tampa Sports Authority analysis of the Ybor site says an open-air, 27,000-capacity stadium would cost $799 million, per the Tampa Bay Times.

A roof — considered a necessity for summer baseball here — would cost another $90 million to $160 million, bringing the total to a little less than $1 billion.

Zounds! The Devil Rays could have moved to Washington and played in Griffith Stadium for a lot less...if they had acted sooner. Griffith sat about 25,000; so the idea is to return to 1915 seating?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #57: February 15, 2022, 11:26:52 AM »
What's a "collar"?
I thought that was WNFF?... ;)  :hysterical: