Author Topic: New TV Color Commentator - Kevin Frandsen  (Read 4285 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: New TV Color Commentator - Kevin Frandsen
« Reply #50: April 27, 2022, 11:25:57 AM »
Frandsen blends in advanced stats in a way that shows he knows what they mean and explains them in a way that makes sense to both skeptics and folks who don't know such stats. He makes what he is saying relevant when he does this.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #51: April 27, 2022, 12:01:56 PM »
Frandsen's also not nearly as controversial. FP's rep as a literal playboy, and then the allegations last year make it a pretty easy choice to move on and replace him with someone that brings a similar skillset without all the...other stuff...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #52: April 27, 2022, 12:19:05 PM »
The entire MASN broadcast is so small-time that Frandsen is just fine as the color guy. Everyone is just waiting out the clock until the network folds.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #53: April 27, 2022, 01:41:47 PM »
The entire MASN broadcast is so small-time that Frandsen is just fine as the color guy. Everyone is just waiting out the clock until the network folds.
I think Bob Carpenter and Kevin Frandsen are pretty darn good. I miss the pregame show with Ray and Johnny.

The production value is approaching atrocious, but I think the talent is fine, verging on good.

Offline hotshot

« Reply #54: April 27, 2022, 02:01:39 PM »
Sad but true. Given these circumstances, Bob and Kevin are OK.

I hate the Mets but if the Nationals ever wanted to see what a first class TV broadcast crew looks like, Ronnie Darling, Keith Hernandez and Gary Cohen might be the standard to shoot for.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #55: April 27, 2022, 02:04:25 PM »
I still don’t think he sounds like FP at all. Sounds more like Dibble to me. Voice wise anyway.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #56: April 27, 2022, 04:29:10 PM »
I still don’t think he sounds like FP at all. Sounds more like Dibble to me. Voice wise anyway.
get ya ears checked old man :old: ;)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #57: April 27, 2022, 04:29:26 PM »
Sad but true. Given these circumstances, Bob and Kevin are OK.

I hate the Mets but if the Nationals ever wanted to see what a first class TV broadcast crew looks like, Ronnie Darling, Keith Hernandez and Gary Cohen might be the standard to shoot for.
100% this.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #58: April 29, 2022, 09:34:57 PM »
Carpenter is consistently awful and Frandsen is a slightly watered down version of F.P. who has a habit of mumbling incoherently between pitches. I'll take the out of town broadcast whenever I can get it. How Carpenter has survived this long is beyond me. He says more dumb stuff than any pbp guy I've ever heard.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #59: May 07, 2022, 01:07:27 AM »
Carpenter is consistently awful and Frandsen is a slightly watered down version of F.P. who has a habit of mumbling incoherently between pitches. I'll take the out of town broadcast whenever I can get it. How Carpenter has survived this long is beyond me. He says more dumb stuff than any pbp guy I've ever heard.
Right about Carp -- he's almost as bad as Johnny Holliday. The difference is Holliday has sentimental value for some of the people on this board.

I like the remark from Frandsen today about Rendon's phony "southern drawl".  Not sure if F.P. would have the balls to say something like that,

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #60: May 07, 2022, 08:10:24 AM »

I like the remark from Frandsen today about Rendon's phony "southern drawl".  Not sure if F.P. would have the balls to say something like that,
I’m confused. Rendon is from Houston.  Why is the drawl fake? Cause he is Hispanic?

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #61: May 07, 2022, 08:54:09 AM »

I must have missed it. Frandsen is even chattier than F.P. which is something I didn't think was even possible to do. All the color guys yak way too much nowadays. I much prefer listening to a team like Slowes and Jageler.....shut up and call the game. The PBP guys can be equally blabbermouthed....Check out the guy the Reds got to replace Brenneman if you get a chance. If ever there was a man in love with the sound of his own voice it's this guy...he even inflects a Latino accent when referring to Hispanic players by name. Uses the biggest words he can summon to impress with his vocabulary. Borderline unlistenable.

Offline Duke of Earl

« Reply #62: May 07, 2022, 01:19:28 PM »
Frandsen provides much more insight into the game than FP ever did.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #63: May 07, 2022, 01:45:25 PM »
yes. I think that he and FP tended to jabber a bit because Bob is low key.  It got worse because the games got dull, so many dreary losses punctuated by heartbreaking losses.

Offline van lingle mungo

« Reply #64: May 07, 2022, 04:19:59 PM »

I disagree but whatever...They both talk way too much. F.P. was more broadly analytical IMO. Frandsen obsesses over pitch sequences ad infinitum. It's ok to interject occasionally but let the viewer watch, enjoy, and analyze what he sees on his own for the most part.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #65: May 07, 2022, 06:05:37 PM »
I’m confused. Rendon is from Houston.  Why is the drawl fake? Cause he is Hispanic?
I think Frandsen was making the point that lately his southern accent has been its most exaggerated form.  The phrase he used was "I'm not buying that southern drawl."  Funny.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #66: May 07, 2022, 06:33:58 PM »
Let him get his sea legs. Takes time to settle into a role like this.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #67: May 07, 2022, 06:44:23 PM »
I think Frandsen was making the point that lately his southern accent has been its most exaggerated form.  The phrase he used was "I'm not buying that southern drawl."  Funny.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/08/13/anthony-rendon-may-have-given-my-favorite-quote-of-the-year/

Offline catocony

« Reply #68: May 12, 2022, 02:29:43 PM »
It would be great if they would stop talking about 2019.  We know they won the Series, and we also know they have stank since then.  I know times are tough but just talk about the current game and team.  If you don't have anything to say, feel free to not say anything, which is far better than constant reminiscing about old times.  They're like a pathetic bunch of high school friends in their 50s talking about stuff from 35 years ago as if it's still relevant and interesting.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #69: May 24, 2022, 11:58:17 AM »
MASN's going to a three-person booth starting tonight with the addition of...Ryan Zimmerman. Not sure if this a permanent move or not.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #70: May 24, 2022, 01:45:08 PM »
Frandsen is just fine, and so is Bob. (My sentimental side goes, of course, to the Hall of Famer Bob Wolf).

FP was pompous and said the same thing three times just to make sure we understood his insight. Told awful jokes. Frandsen, though, has a pitiful team to talk about. Give a better Nats team, and he would be great.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #71: May 24, 2022, 02:20:39 PM »
Frandsen is just fine, and so is Bob. (My sentimental side goes, of course, to the Hall of Famer Bob Wolf).

FP was pompous and said the same thing three times just to make sure we understood his insight. Told awful jokes. Frandsen, though, has a pitiful team to talk about. Give a better Nats team, and he would be great.

I just can't get past how much he sounds like FP, it makes it seem there's been no change for me even though yes Frandsen is less snarky than FP. If we were getting someone new I just wish they actually sounded like someone new. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #72: May 24, 2022, 02:27:29 PM »
I just can't get past how much he sounds like FP, it makes it seem there's been no change for me even though yes Frandsen is less snarky than FP. If we were getting someone new I just wish they actually sounded like someone new. 

Yeah he sounds exactly like him and while he's got less of a campy schtick, it's the same jock-ish former player voice.

On the plus side Grant Paulsen hopefully won't be on a nats broadcast booth ever again.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #73: May 24, 2022, 02:29:14 PM »
Grant's got a face for radio and a voice for, well, not radio. I still like his and Danny's afternoon show though.

Yeah he sounds exactly like him and while he's got less of a campy schtick, it's the same jock-ish former player voice.

On the plus side Grant Paulsen hopefully won't be on a nats broadcast booth ever again.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #74: May 24, 2022, 02:37:10 PM »
I’m just going to keep saying this until you realize it’s true. Frandsen sounds like Dibble. Not FP.