Author Topic: The Weather - 2022  (Read 5735 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: The Weather - 2022
« Reply #75: January 08, 2022, 06:42:25 PM »
An Amtrak passenger train in Lynchburg vs. the main north south artery on the east coast? Sure, the response to Amtrak will be a much higher priority

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #76: January 08, 2022, 09:18:51 PM »
The odds that emergency personnel will be dispatched to I95 is about 100%
Apparently not in Virginia

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #77: January 10, 2022, 12:22:11 AM »
Potential for a couple of big east coast snowstorms on January 15-16 and 20-21. Still way to early though.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #78: January 10, 2022, 08:58:28 AM »
Rain yesterday did a nice clean up job in CC.

I have friends in Fredericksburg who drove back from an FLA trip over the holidays and pulled into home Sunday night 1/2 at 9 PM.  They woke up the next morning, husband was going to go out for a bike ride, not knowing the snow was coming. Looked out the window and said, "nah."

Offline imref

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #80: January 12, 2022, 05:02:57 PM »
Get ready….

https://dtwxrisk.medium.com/tuesday-730pm-update-on-jan-15-16-east-coast-winter-storm-d46de7f907e8

Interesting read, thanks.  I joined PATC (Potomac Appalachian Trail Club) last week and have already been volunteering on trail maintenance.  Last week's storm did a number on trails all around the region.  Snow was incredibly wet, sticky and heavy; pines of all kinds, any other trees with leaves still on capable of catching snow got really wasted.  So many trees bent over with their tops now anchored to the ground in snow & ice. 

One of my friends qualified as a "sawyer" with PATC / Natl' Park Service, I'm his go-to "swamper", meaning working in a team for safety and efficiency.  He cuts 'em, I move em off the trail.  We cleared 2 miles of neighborhood trails last week and today we worked on a larger team of about 14 in Prince William Forest Park, clearing about 2 miles of trail (Pyrite mine area).  Hard work but really fun, and the trails are completely unusable without this sort of effort.  Parks don't have the manpower to do this alone - of the 14 2 were park employees, the rest PATC volunteers.

There are also a heck of a lot of "widow makers", trees broken off at the trunk and dangling over a trail, or just bad leaners.  This upcoming storm could force us to go back out and re-open trails we just cleared.  Meanwhile lots of miles of trail still remain untouched.  One way to get in shape I guess.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #81: January 13, 2022, 10:50:06 AM »
Today is the 40th anniversary of the big snowstorm that resulted in the Air Florida plane crash that was followed within half an hour by a Metro derailment. I remember the school bus ride home that normally took 15 minutes took an hour and a half because (a) the bus driver had to use a different route because Woodburn Road over the old one-lane bridge was too dangerous in the snow and (b) even though King Arthur was a safer route (no ditches), the bus still struggled up the hills.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #82: January 13, 2022, 10:53:56 AM »
I worked for the government in Philly at the time. I remember our regional manager insisted on driving down to DC that day.  Took them all day. So they made it from the hotel to the office the next day but then no one from the DMv showed up the next day as conditions were still bad. This is clearly why he was SES.

Offline imref

« Reply #83: January 13, 2022, 11:17:56 AM »
latest Euro ensemble:

Offline imref

« Reply #84: January 13, 2022, 11:56:53 AM »
Interesting read, thanks.  I joined PATC (Potomac Appalachian Trail Club) last week and have already been volunteering on trail maintenance.  Last week's storm did a number on trails all around the region.  Snow was incredibly wet, sticky and heavy; pines of all kinds, any other trees with leaves still on capable of catching snow got really wasted.  So many trees bent over with their tops now anchored to the ground in snow & ice. 

One of my friends qualified as a "sawyer" with PATC / Natl' Park Service, I'm his go-to "swamper", meaning working in a team for safety and efficiency.  He cuts 'em, I move em off the trail.  We cleared 2 miles of neighborhood trails last week and today we worked on a larger team of about 14 in Prince William Forest Park, clearing about 2 miles of trail (Pyrite mine area).  Hard work but really fun, and the trails are completely unusable without this sort of effort.  Parks don't have the manpower to do this alone - of the 14 2 were park employees, the rest PATC volunteers.

There are also a heck of a lot of "widow makers", trees broken off at the trunk and dangling over a trail, or just bad leaners.  This upcoming storm could force us to go back out and re-open trails we just cleared.  Meanwhile lots of miles of trail still remain untouched.  One way to get in shape I guess.

Glad to hear you in the PATC Tom, lot's of Scout leaders are in there from what I've seen. :)

Offline imref

« Reply #85: January 13, 2022, 04:08:13 PM »
https://dtwxrisk.medium.com/late-mornign-upate-for-jan-15-16-tenn-valley-and-east-coast-winter-storm-c4f69d21c51a

For the interior and western portions of Virginia, the boundary is going to be Highway 15 which runs from Durham North Carolina, to South Boston and Clarksville, to Farmville, Zions Crossroad, Gordonsville, Culpepper and Warrenton, to Leesburg Virginia. From that line WEST, all the precipitation will stay frozen. There will be heavy significant snow accumulations in the Virginia Piedmont, east of the Blue Ridge, and there will be some ice mixed in for part of the storm. This may keep the snow accumulations below 10 or 12 inches but it will put a coating of ice on top of everything.

Southwest Virginia, WEST of a line from Lexington to Lynchburg to Danville, will see a major snowstorm out of this. There might be some ice near the North Carolina Virginia border in southwest Virginia but 95% of this event will be snow and the snow amounts will likely break a foot in most of these areas.
10. In the Shenandoah Valley from Lexington to Winchester, this will be primarily a snow event and the snow accumulations will HUGE, well over 12 inches in many areas, and some 16”+ amounts are possible. In central and western Maryland as well as the eastern West Virginia panhandle (Martinsburg and Charlestown ) and the eastern half of West Virginia significant snow accumulation is greater than 8 inches seem very likely.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #86: January 13, 2022, 05:08:38 PM »
"Highway 15"? Was this written by someone working on the West Coast?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #87: January 13, 2022, 06:57:08 PM »

They'd say "The 15."

Offline imref

« Reply #88: January 13, 2022, 07:18:36 PM »

He’s from Philly iirc.

Offline imref

« Reply #89: January 14, 2022, 01:40:28 PM »
CWG: They note potential for icing in the eastern areas as snow changes over to sleet and freezing rain.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #90: January 14, 2022, 04:44:05 PM »
Walking home from the Caps/Canucks game should be a blast  :lol:

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #91: January 14, 2022, 05:24:25 PM »
Walking home from the Caps/Canucks game should be a blast  :lol:

I don't know whether to take the Metro (Yellow from Huntington or Blue from Springfield) or whether to drive into DC. Normally we'd drive, especially for a weekend game and especially with the current Metro issues. But I don't know what to expect around 5:00 Sunday afternoon. We have an all-wheel-drive car, so I don't foresee getting stuck, but of course that doesn't help with skidding or with avoiding other people who lose control.

Offline imref

Offline imref

« Reply #93: January 14, 2022, 07:54:24 PM »
I don't know whether to take the Metro (Yellow from Huntington or Blue from Springfield) or whether to drive into DC. Normally we'd drive, especially for a weekend game and especially with the current Metro issues. But I don't know what to expect around 5:00 Sunday afternoon. We have an all-wheel-drive car, so I don't foresee getting stuck, but of course that doesn't help with skidding or with avoiding other people who lose control.

We’ve got Van Gogh tickets early on Sunday and are thinking metro.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #94: January 15, 2022, 10:53:34 AM »
Tsunami in pacific from underwater volcano.  Looks like Tonga was hit hard. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-60007119

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #95: January 15, 2022, 11:14:50 AM »
Tsunami in pacific from underwater volcano.  Looks like Tonga was hit hard. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-60007119
Watching this on NHK and they are warning of a three meter tsunami wave in Japan. Of course USA news sources are only focused on no damage in the USA. 

The tsunami is interrupting me watching day 7 highlights from the January sumo basho.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #96: January 15, 2022, 11:22:53 AM »
Watching this on NHK and they are warning of a three meter tsunami wave in Japan. Of course USA news sources are only focused on no damage in the USA. 

The tsunami is interrupting me watching day 7 highlights from the January sumo basho.
I don't think there's enough water in the Potomac for a 10 foot surge, but a 3 meter wave would cover National Airport, Potomac Park, and the Alexandria waterfront up most of that block west of Union Street.  Probably the WWII Memorial, too, and up towards the Ellipse and lower Georgetown unless they get the flood walls up.  I think CC is probably behind berms and built up stuff, but there may be ways it could infiltrate.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #97: January 15, 2022, 11:43:48 AM »
I don't think there's enough water in the Potomac for a 10 foot surge, but a 3 meter wave would cover National Airport, Potomac Park, and the Alexandria waterfront up most of that block west of Union Street.  Probably the WWII Memorial, too, and up towards the Ellipse and lower Georgetown unless they get the flood walls up.  I think CC is probably behind berms and built up stuff, but there may be ways it could infiltrate.
As best I can tell the three meter wave hit in the small outer islands. More like one meter in the main Japanese islands.

Offline imref

« Reply #98: January 15, 2022, 12:43:49 PM »
all the forecasters are now trending toward less snow, but more ice, with a changeover to rain overnight.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #99: January 15, 2022, 01:35:15 PM »
Metro on a Sunday is no bueno.  I got rid of my car so it's walk/uber/Metro and of the three the former looks the least bad.  Two miles in sleet - hey it's a hockey game!  This is my first game since "before times"; we'll be sharing a box with some like-minded friends.