Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2022)  (Read 1739 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2022)
« Reply #50: July 03, 2022, 08:48:19 AM »
I am not a cook, but what I know about monkfish is that it more or less is a substitute for eirher  lobster or scallops back home- I forget which.

It’s sometimes called "the poor man’s lobster." The texture is somewhat similar.

BTW, the plus side of setting off the smoke alarms is that I replaced them all earlier this spring due to how old they were, so now I know they all work properly.  :lol:  (Not that my wife would view that as a plus. All three were going off and they were quite loud.)

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #51: July 04, 2022, 05:30:41 PM »
Perhaps you could give the Nats some tips - they don't appear to have any ideas what to do with fish, this season... ;)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: July 04, 2022, 06:07:44 PM »
Perhaps you could give the Nats some tips - they don't appear to have any ideas what to do with fish, this season... ;)
I used to have a ritual of "eating the enemy" before Patriot games in the 1980s. A filet of fish before the dolphins, a fast food hamburger before Colts and Broncos (because the burgers probably were horsemeat), etc... Maybe time to find some gamefish before the next Marlins game

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #53: July 05, 2022, 12:31:57 PM »
The next 3 games are easy but what to do on Friday?
I used to have a ritual of "eating the enemy" before Patriot games in the 1980s. A filet of fish before the dolphins, a fast food hamburger before Colts and Broncos (because the burgers probably were horsemeat), etc... Maybe time to find some gamefish before the next Marlins game

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #54: July 05, 2022, 01:22:34 PM »

What on earth would you eat before Steelers games? :lol:

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #55: July 05, 2022, 06:06:15 PM »
What on earth would you eat before Steelers games? :lol:
The sous chef at the last restaurant I worked at (Old Glory in Georgetown) was a fan of the Pittsburgh rare steak, charred on the outside and nearly raw on the inside. That'd probably work with horsemeat.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #56: July 05, 2022, 08:45:12 PM »
The sous chef at the last restaurant I worked at (Old Glory in Georgetown) was a fan of the Pittsburgh rare steak, charred on the outside and nearly raw on the inside. That'd probably work with horsemeat.

That makes me think of a post I made in the 2018 edition of this thread in which I quoted the following that was posted on another forum. I still haven’t tried this.

Quote from: sparker
My grandfather, a Greek immigrant; had his own way (apparently common in Greece) for cooking steaks:  Get a NY cut, at least 1.25" thick, trim it down.  Pat olive oil onto both sides and coat it liberally with coarse cracked black pepper & oregano; plate it and put it into the refrigerator overnight.  Cooking:  Take a chunk of bacon, put it in a big iron skillet, and render it down so it's just a bubbling liquid at the bottom of the skillet.  Get it so hot the bacon fat is bubbling and cracking; take the steaks out and cook them in the skillet for about 15-30 seconds (depending upon how hot you can get your stovetop) on either side, run them around the edges of the skillet to sear the sides, and serve them. 

Sorry to all you well-done fans, but these will invariably be charred on the outside and quite rare in the middle (this method doesn't lend itself to overcooking!).  Outside of a couple of Midwest steak houses, these were the best steaks I ever ate!  If you dare (and don't have a prohibitive cholesterol issue), feel free to use the recipe.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #57: July 16, 2022, 09:09:31 PM »
Tonight’s dinner linked below. What would you do to add some flavor in terms of seasonings? We both felt this has potential but we weren’t sure what we’d do to give it some more bite.

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/stir-fried-flank-steak-with-yellow-onions

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #58: July 16, 2022, 10:42:09 PM »
Sounds a bit like bulgogi. Maybe add some sugar, ginger, and sesame oil to the marinade?

Offline blue911

« Reply #59: July 17, 2022, 05:59:04 AM »
Tonight’s dinner linked below. What would you do to add some flavor in terms of seasonings? We both felt this has potential but we weren’t sure what we’d do to give it some more bite.

Any or all of Honey, fresh ginger,garlic and crushed red pepper.

Offline imref

« Reply #60: July 17, 2022, 05:39:01 PM »
Nothing like coming home from an overseas trip to find that your garage fridge/freezer got fried by a thunderstorm. The smell of rotting meat was something I wish never to experience again.

• babble on
« Reply #61: July 18, 2022, 02:53:14 PM »
Oy.  I'll resist the urge to make a dumb joke about "stench" and "Nats"...sorry that happened  :(

As a kid my BiL "borrowed" (and forgot about) the extension cord attached to a deep freeze full of meat.  I think they had to wear hazmat suits in the basement after that. 

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #62: July 18, 2022, 03:14:09 PM »
Making a tenuous link between 'joke' and 'meat'...

Two cows are standing in a field, gazing up at the moon, high in the night sky. One cow says to the other '10 bucks says you can't do it...'   ;)

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #63: July 18, 2022, 04:35:45 PM »
That is how I order my burgers "Pittsburgh". Rarely successfully done

• babble on
« Reply #65: August 23, 2022, 01:03:11 PM »

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #66: August 23, 2022, 05:42:10 PM »
I tried stealing some spaghetti, but the female security guard caught me - I couldn't get pasta.... ;)

Offline imref

« Reply #67: August 23, 2022, 06:47:24 PM »
I ordered a large French fry from McDonalds, and they gave me a box of small ones.

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #68: August 25, 2022, 07:24:26 PM »

I like to marinate my flank steak for 24-48 hours and then grill to medium rare and slice thin.  A 2+ pounder makes for a good steak dinner the first night, fajitas the next night, and sandwiches after that (maybe).

Offline NatNasty

« Reply #69: August 25, 2022, 07:39:45 PM »
Nothing like coming home from an overseas trip to find that your garage fridge/freezer got fried by a thunderstorm. The smell of rotting meat was something I wish never to experience again.

I once came home to a kitchen fridge seemingly running fine, only to be greeted with a blast of hot air when I opened the door.  This was nearly 20 years ago, and the smell of the leftover lobster claws I had in there remains a topic of conversation to this day.

• babble on
« Reply #70: August 25, 2022, 08:35:48 PM »
Oof.  I forgot about a Thai crispy whole fried fish in a carryout container in the back seat when I parked in a satellite lot at Dulles for a week one August.  I had to open all of the windows and go to a bar in the terminal for a couple of hours before it was even remotely possible to sit in the car. 
I once came home to a kitchen fridge seemingly running fine, only to be greeted with a blast of hot air when I opened the door.  This was nearly 20 years ago, and the smell of the leftover lobster claws I had in there remains a topic of conversation to this day.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #71: August 25, 2022, 10:35:36 PM »
My wife had a friend in high school who went grocery shopping and came home, quite disappointed that the store didn't put the roaster chicken he purchased in the grocery bags. As time went on, the car began to smell worse and worse until after six weeks or so it was impossible to be in, even with the windows wide open. They found the chicken - the bag it was in slid down into a tire well in the trunk. Apparently, given sufficient heat, humidity, and time, roaster chickens liquefy.

Offline imref

« Reply #72: August 26, 2022, 12:54:36 AM »
I tried every trick I could find to get rid of the smell. Nothing worked. Multiple cleaning with bleach and copious amounts of charcoal and baking soda changed weekly and the smell is still bad. I’m ordering a new one.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #73: August 26, 2022, 10:11:14 AM »
It's amazing how the smell of decaying flesh sticks, even to "smooth" surfaces.

I tried every trick I could find to get rid of the smell. Nothing worked. Multiple cleaning with bleach and copious amounts of charcoal and baking soda changed weekly and the smell is still bad. I’m ordering a new one.

Offline imref

« Reply #74: August 26, 2022, 11:57:01 AM »
It's amazing how the smell of decaying flesh sticks, even to "smooth" surfaces.

i'm sure it's in the fan and duct between the fan and fridge, i don't have an easy way to clean that out.