Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2022)  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2022)
« Reply #25: February 14, 2022, 11:44:35 AM »
Chipotles are great in chili!  I'd probably go in the other direction with the garlic though...but sub 10 bulbs for cloves and double to be safe  :D

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: February 14, 2022, 11:53:52 AM »
Chipotles are great in chili!  I'd probably go in the other direction with the garlic though...but sub 10 bulbs for cloves and double to be safe  :D

Chipotle and 50/50 chorizo & ground beef are my go-to's.

The Cincy chili came out pretty good but it's much more of a meat sauce than what I normally think of when I think of chili. I made it the traditional way with sides of spaghetti, beans, chopped onions, and cheese for everyone to make it their own way.

I used this recipe (minus the chocolate) and ground up my own allspice and cloves and I didn't cook onions in the chili:
https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cincinnati_chili/

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #27: February 14, 2022, 01:54:27 PM »

The Wife Acceptance Factor for that would have been less than zero.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #28: February 18, 2022, 05:05:05 PM »
I tend to go for mushrooms 'cause I'm a fun guy... ;)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #29: February 24, 2022, 01:46:05 PM »
Has anyone ever had cusk (a type of fish)? If so, any cooking advice? We just got a shipment from Maine containing four pounds of scallops, three pounds of haddock, and two pounds of cusk. The cusk is supposed to be something that is not "flaky white fish," although it looks similar to pollock and has a similar thickness to cod. I can't find a lot of recipe suggestions online and am just wondering if anyone here has ever had it.

(Before you ask "then why did you order cusk," I will explain. The lady from whom we buy the seafood deals with dayboat operators. You order "What's best? Flaky white fish" or "What's best? Something different" and in either case nobody knows what the fishermen will bring in on a given day. In this case, the flaky white fish was haddock and the "something different" turned out to be cusk.)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #30: February 24, 2022, 02:23:24 PM »
i've never heard of cusk, but after doing a quick search, it sounds like you could use it as a replacement for cod in any recipe.  It's supposed to be a bit more oily than cod so you can grill it.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #31: February 24, 2022, 03:57:27 PM »
Has anyone ever had cusk (a type of fish)? If so, any cooking advice? We just got a shipment from Maine containing four pounds of scallops, three pounds of haddock, and two pounds of cusk. The cusk is supposed to be something that is not "flaky white fish," although it looks similar to pollock and has a similar thickness to cod. I can't find a lot of recipe suggestions online and am just wondering if anyone here has ever had it.

(Before you ask "then why did you order cusk," I will explain. The lady from whom we buy the seafood deals with dayboat operators. You order "What's best? Flaky white fish" or "What's best? Something different" and in either case nobody knows what the fishermen will bring in on a given day. In this case, the flaky white fish was haddock and the "something different" turned out to be cusk.)

What type of scallops and if they are sea scllops what size and price if you don't mind me adking. We use to order from Profish since the pandemic but their prices are not much different than thbe grocery stores now and much higher than Costco ( more limited selection). We stopped buying from Profish last month. Thanks

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #32: February 24, 2022, 04:49:25 PM »
What type of scallops and if they are sea scllops what size and price if you don't mind me adking. We use to order from Profish since the pandemic but their prices are not much different than thbe grocery stores now and much higher than Costco ( more limited selection). We stopped buying from Profish last month. Thanks

Here's the website. Unfortunately, the scallop season there closes this week until the Northern Gulf of Maine scallop season opens on April 1, so she won't be shipping scallops for a few weeks. I learned of this business from my parents. They had been customers for several years and then when my father died in 2019, my wife and I started going in together with my mom on orders so we could qualify for free shipping. (Adding my mom's order to ours meant in this order we got six pounds of scallops, six pounds of flaky white fish, and two pounds of "something different.")

https://downeastdayboat.com/

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #33: February 27, 2022, 06:00:12 PM »
One wonders whether a certain dish should be called Chicken Kiev or Chicken Kyiv. (I note Peking Duck is not called Beijing Duck.)

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #34: February 27, 2022, 07:51:38 PM »
One wonders whether a certain dish should be called Chicken Kiev or Chicken Kyiv. (I note Peking Duck is not called Beijing Duck.)
I remember working with someone I worked with who went to China. She said the Peking Duck they served there was not the same. Is Chicken Kiev something they really eat or an American invention. Like lo mein.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #35: February 28, 2022, 09:07:37 AM »
I remember working with someone I worked with who went to China. She said the Peking Duck they served there was not the same. Is Chicken Kiev something they really eat or an American invention. Like lo mein.

It's an American invention. Lo mein noodles get used - likely not the same mix of ingredients that we use, because 'Chinese food' is definitely entirely Americanized. In Japan, lo mein noodles are ramen noodles.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #36: June 18, 2022, 05:08:07 PM »
There's been a fracas at a local Chinese restaurant, with considerable damage being needlessly caused. Police are describing it as an act of won-ton destruction... ;)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #37: June 18, 2022, 07:13:45 PM »
There's been a fracas at a local Chinese restaurant, with considerable damage being needlessly caused. Police are describing it as an act of won-ton destruction... ;)
speaking of Chinese menus in London,  the only place I've heard of is Lee Ho Phuc's. Chow Mein is a specialty. It's in Soho.

Offline English Natsie

« Reply #38: June 19, 2022, 04:08:59 AM »
speaking of Chinese menus in London,  the only place I've heard of is Lee Ho Phuc's. Chow Mein is a specialty. It's in Soho.

AAAHHHOOOOO!!!... ;)

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #39: June 19, 2022, 09:12:46 AM »
We’ve made this salmon recipe twice, including last Sunday when my mom came over for dinner. It was good. But we had some leftover salmon last weekend that I didn’t cook, as well as some leftover sauce, so on Tuesday night I tried grilling the salmon instead and using the same sauce. That way was great. Ms1995hoo and I liked the fish much better that way than we did when I made it on the stove, and of course there was less to clean up. I had skin-on salmon top loin, so I preheated the grill to direct medium heat, oiled the fish skin and seasoned the other side with salt and pepper, and grilled the fish for 12 minutes without turning. I could tell it wasn’t quite done, so I gave it another three minutes and it was just right. Used the leftover sauce from Sunday (see recipe link) and leftover orzo as a side. We both agreed in the future I’ll grill the fish instead of doing it on the stove, weather permitting of course.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/skillet-seared-salmon-with-garlic-lemon-butter-sauce/

• babble on
« Reply #40: June 19, 2022, 08:30:20 PM »
That sauce would probably work on dogcrap.  So versatile. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #41: June 21, 2022, 08:11:36 AM »
I ate at this restaurant. Didn’t realize it had closed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-61875061.amp

• babble on
« Reply #42: June 21, 2022, 09:01:40 AM »
Damn.  That place was like HK's Katz's Deli - foodies might sneer but totally iconic. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #43: June 21, 2022, 09:05:59 AM »
Can’t remember much about the food but was sure the little motor boat to get there would sink.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #44: June 22, 2022, 01:32:21 PM »
We’ve made this salmon recipe twice, including last Sunday when my mom came over for dinner. It was good. But we had some leftover salmon last weekend that I didn’t cook, as well as some leftover sauce, so on Tuesday night I tried grilling the salmon instead and using the same sauce. That way was great. Ms1995hoo and I liked the fish much better that way than we did when I made it on the stove, and of course there was less to clean up. I had skin-on salmon top loin, so I preheated the grill to direct medium heat, oiled the fish skin and seasoned the other side with salt and pepper, and grilled the fish for 12 minutes without turning. I could tell it wasn’t quite done, so I gave it another three minutes and it was just right. Used the leftover sauce from Sunday (see recipe link) and leftover orzo as a side. We both agreed in the future I’ll grill the fish instead of doing it on the stove, weather permitting of course.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/skillet-seared-salmon-with-garlic-lemon-butter-sauce/

I looked at this recipe but I didn't see any quantities except for 1 tsp. of butter to cook the garlic. Did I miss it?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #45: June 22, 2022, 02:47:25 PM »
I looked at this recipe but I didn't see any quantities except for 1 tsp. of butter to cook the garlic. Did I miss it?

Maybe you didn't scroll down far enough? Here it is (copied and pasted). You have to scroll way the heck down to get past all the commentary.

4 (6 oz) skinless salmon fillets (about 1-inch thick)
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tsp olive oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
    2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    3 Tbsp + 1 tsp unsalted butter, diced into 1 Tbsp pieces
    1/2 tsp honey
    2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
    Lemon slices for garnish (optional)

Instructions

Remove salmon fillets from refrigerator and allow to rest at room temperature 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the garlic lemon butter sauce. In a small saucepan, melt 1 tsp butter over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until lightly golden brown, about 1–2 minutes. Pour in chicken broth and lemon juice.  Let sauce simmer until it has reduced by half (to about 3 Tbsp), about 3 minutes. Stir in butter and honey and whisk until combined, set sauce aside.

Dab both sides of salmon dry with paper towels, season both sides with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a (heavy) 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering add salmon and cook about 4 minutes on the first side until golden brown on bottom then flip and cook salmon on opposite side until salmon has cooked through, about 2–3 minutes longer.

Plate salmon (leaving oil in pan) and drizzle each serving generously with butter sauce, sprinkle with parsley and garnish with lemon slices if desired. Serve immediately.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #46: June 22, 2022, 03:06:51 PM »
Maybe you didn't scroll down far enough? Here it is (copied and pasted). You have to scroll way the heck down to get past all the commentary.

Thank you. I will try it as I eat salmon once a week.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #47: June 22, 2022, 03:15:27 PM »
Thank you. I will try it as I eat salmon once a week.

As I mentioned earlier, I've done that both on the stove and on the grill. We thought the fish was better when I grilled it, but certainly having the skin on the fish made grilling that much easier.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #48: July 02, 2022, 08:12:52 PM »
We have some fresh monkfish from Maine and I made this, served over angel hair pasta with an Italian Pinot Grigio. Very good and I would make it again except that I set off the smoke alarms and my wife started screaming so much that the whole neighborhood probably knows we were having a fight.

https://downeastdayboat.com/blogs/recipes/simple-perfect-monkfish

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #49: July 02, 2022, 09:14:58 PM »
We have some fresh monkfish from Maine and I made this, served over angel hair pasta with an Italian Pinot Grigio. Very good and I would make it again except that I set off the smoke alarms and my wife started screaming so much that the whole neighborhood probably knows we were having a fight.

https://downeastdayboat.com/blogs/recipes/simple-perfect-monkfish
I am not a cook, but what I know about monkfish is that it more or less is a substitute for eirher  lobster or scallops back home- I forget which.