Author Topic: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2022)  (Read 1746 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Re: Food and How You Cook/Eat It (2022)
« Reply #50: July 05, 2022, 08:45:12 PM »
The sous chef at the last restaurant I worked at (Old Glory in Georgetown) was a fan of the Pittsburgh rare steak, charred on the outside and nearly raw on the inside. That'd probably work with horsemeat.

That makes me think of a post I made in the 2018 edition of this thread in which I quoted the following that was posted on another forum. I still haven’t tried this.

Quote from: sparker
My grandfather, a Greek immigrant; had his own way (apparently common in Greece) for cooking steaks:  Get a NY cut, at least 1.25" thick, trim it down.  Pat olive oil onto both sides and coat it liberally with coarse cracked black pepper & oregano; plate it and put it into the refrigerator overnight.  Cooking:  Take a chunk of bacon, put it in a big iron skillet, and render it down so it's just a bubbling liquid at the bottom of the skillet.  Get it so hot the bacon fat is bubbling and cracking; take the steaks out and cook them in the skillet for about 15-30 seconds (depending upon how hot you can get your stovetop) on either side, run them around the edges of the skillet to sear the sides, and serve them. 

Sorry to all you well-done fans, but these will invariably be charred on the outside and quite rare in the middle (this method doesn't lend itself to overcooking!).  Outside of a couple of Midwest steak houses, these were the best steaks I ever ate!  If you dare (and don't have a prohibitive cholesterol issue), feel free to use the recipe.