Author Topic: Deaths of famous people (2022)  (Read 10991 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Deaths of famous people (2022)
« Reply #1: January 01, 2022, 11:56:23 AM »
Former NFL coach Dan Reeves at 77.

https://www.nfl.com/news/former-cowboys-player-nfl-head-coach-dan-reeves-passes-away-at-77

Seems like he has a decent case for hall of fame admission, though he never actually won a SB as a coach.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: January 01, 2022, 12:17:19 PM »
didn't hear about this until today.  Sam Jones, guard for Russell era Celtics, passed away last Thursday.  I'm not sure there were ever 4 better guards than Cousy - Sharman - Sam - KC on one team.  That's 4 Hall of Famers, not to mention the swing men, Frank Ramsey and later John Havlicek.
https://vault.si.com/vault/1961/03/20/jones-jones-at-court
On the Celtics, it would be almost impossible for the Jones boys (they are not related) to be anything but substitutes. Bob Cousy, who has been an NBA All-Star for 10 years, and Bill Sharman, an All-Star for seven, are the first-string guards, and they are not men easily pushed aside. The facts of life, however, are that Cousy and Sharman are in their 30s, and their skills, while just as shiny, are no longer as durable. "Around the second quarter or so," Cousy says, "I actually plan on being taken out of the game, and I pace myself accordingly. That's when Sam and K.C. come in. They not only sustain a lead, they add to it. And on defense, they hound the opposition guards so much that my man's all softened up for me when I come back in."

By
George Walsh

© 2022 ABG-SI LLC. SPORTS ILLUSTRATED is a registered trademark of ABG-SI LLC. All Rights Reserved. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

I did not follow the Celtics until really their last run to the title with Russell.  Sam Jones came the year after Russell and has 10 titles.  KC had already retired before that year, and Sam had announced his retirement.  I think it was a surprise that Russell also retired.  They had an off-year or two, but I think they picked up JoJo White the year Russell and Sam retired, had already picked up Don Chaney, then with the pick they got the down year picked Dave Cowens.  With Don Nelson and Hondo holding over, that was the core of the 1970s teams.

John Feinstein piece in the Post today about Sam:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/01/01/feinstein-sam-jones-red-auerbach/

Feinstein points out how Sam was a great shooter for the era but was the original "Banksie" because he always, always, used bank shots.  My brother always used to bank his shot.  What I had heard (not in Feinstein's article) was that Sam learned to bank as a kid because he played in a rec room or gym with a low ceiling, so he could not get any arc on his shot.  Feinstein's article is written based on his conversations with Red Auerbach so it has more of his stories.  He has a great story about some of the crud Black players went through in the 60s:

In the 1950s and ’60s, Black players often couldn’t stay in the team hotels, so they would stay at one another’s houses when they traveled. In 1963, when the Celtics had five Black players, they checked into a Louisville hotel the day before an exhibition game with the Cincinnati Royals.

When Jones and roommate Satch Sanders went downstairs to the hotel restaurant to eat, they were told, “Sorry, no Blacks eat in here.”

“We told them we were guests in the hotel,” Jones remembered. “They said it didn’t matter.”

Jones and Sanders found Russell, K.C. Jones and Willie Naulls and went to Auerbach’s room. Auerbach called the hotel manager, who backed down and said the players could eat in the restaurant.

“Not good enough,” Jones told his coach. “We’ve been insulted. And tomorrow, after we’re gone, they won’t serve Blacks in that restaurant.”

Auerbach understood. He drove the five of them back to the airport and they flew home without staying in the hotel or playing in the game. A little more than a year later, those five players became the first all-Black starting lineup in NBA history.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #3: January 01, 2022, 12:41:55 PM »
Seems like he has a decent case for hall of fame admission, though he never actually won a SB as a coach.

Two Super Bowl appearances with two different franchises puts him in a pretty exclusive club.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4: January 01, 2022, 01:00:32 PM »
Reeves, Levy, and Bud Grant lost 4 super bowls, but, as Knot points out, Grant's and Levy's were with one team.

I had to look it up, but Shula, Parcells, Reeves, Vermiel, Holmgen, Reid and . . . John Fox have taken 2 different teams to the super bowl. I had to check, but Fox (Panthers, Denver) would be the other one to not win with either franchise.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #5: January 02, 2022, 08:00:39 AM »
Sam Jones, guard for Russell era Celtics, passed away last Thursday.

From Wilmington, NC.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: January 02, 2022, 08:49:43 AM »
From Wilmington, NC.
North Carolina Central U graduate.  Coached there a while building the program to D1.

Online blue911

Re: Deaths of famous people (2021)
« Reply #7: January 03, 2022, 12:01:30 PM »
Richard Leakey. I went see his mom give a lecture in the late ‘60s

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Re: Deaths of famous people (2021)
« Reply #8: January 03, 2022, 12:44:21 PM »
Richard Leakey. I went see his mom give a lecture in the late ‘60s
was their thing chimps?  I remember hearing about them about the same time in elementary school.

Online blue911

« Reply #9: January 03, 2022, 01:03:39 PM »
was their thing chimps?  I remember hearing about them about the same time in elementary school.

He and his parents were paleoanthropologists, so I would imagine that primate research would be included as well.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: January 03, 2022, 01:59:15 PM »
He and his parents were paleoanthropologists, so I would imagine that primate research would be included as well.
olduvai gorge, IIRC

Offline Dave in Fairfax

« Reply #11: January 03, 2022, 02:47:03 PM »
You might be mixing up Mary Leakey and Jane Goodall - two prominent female scientists closely connected to East Africa. Goodall was the chimpanzee expert.

Online blue911

« Reply #12: January 03, 2022, 02:52:43 PM »
You might be mixing up Mary Leakey and Jane Goodall - two prominent female scientists closely connected to East Africa. Goodall was the chimpanzee expert.

Wikipedia claims Goodall and Dian Fossey we’re both mentored by Louis Leakey.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13: January 03, 2022, 03:07:00 PM »
yes.  didn't help that the unit in school taught about both.

Online imref

Re: Deaths of famous people (2021)
« Reply #14: January 09, 2022, 08:05:45 PM »
Bob Sagat was found dead in a hotel room. He was 65. No sign of foul play or drug use.

One of the funnier people, his standup was so different from his Full House character.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #15: January 10, 2022, 09:40:26 AM »
Bob Sagat was found dead in a hotel room. He was 65. No sign of foul play or drug use.

One of the funnier people, his standup was so different from his Full House character.

Sad news.  Aside from a little of the home video show on occasion, I didn't watch him much on TV but I know that he was beloved.  RIP

Online imref

« Reply #16: January 10, 2022, 11:17:52 AM »
Sad news.  Aside from a little of the home video show on occasion, I didn't watch him much on TV but I know that he was beloved.  RIP

One of my favorite bits of his from his stand-up:

BS: When I was a kid, my parents never let me play at my friend's houses.  How about you (asking to the audience)? Audience members respond in the affirmative

BS: So you got to play at my friends houses? Well that makes it worse. 

BS: I would ask my mom if I could play at my friend's house and she would say "you have no friends Bob, and I'm not your mother"

Artie Lang outliving Norm and Bob Sagat isn't something I would have expected.

Offline HondoKillebrew

« Reply #17: January 10, 2022, 04:34:42 PM »
One of my favorite bits of his from his stand-up:

BS: When I was a kid, my parents never let me play at my friend's houses.  How about you (asking to the audience)? Audience members respond in the affirmative

BS: So you got to play at my friends houses? Well that makes it worse. 

BS: I would ask my mom if I could play at my friend's house and she would say "you have no friends Bob, and I'm not your mother"

Artie Lang outliving Norm and Bob Sagat isn't something I would have expected.

Norm roasts Bob.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #18: January 11, 2022, 07:59:35 AM »
Dwayne Hickman of Dobie Gillis 87.

Online imref

« Reply #19: January 12, 2022, 12:25:56 PM »
Norm roasts Bob.

what I love most about that is the gradual realization of the other comedians of what Norm was doing, and their awe of him doing it.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #20: January 12, 2022, 04:54:56 PM »
Ronnie Spector at age 78. One generation remembers her for "Be My Baby"; another remembers her for a small part in Eddie Money's "Take Me Home Tonight."

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #21: January 12, 2022, 05:33:14 PM »
The great Sidney Poitier (94) (better late than... :shock:).

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #22: January 13, 2022, 08:08:21 AM »
Ronnie Spector at age 78. One generation remembers her for "Be My Baby"; another remembers her for a small part in Eddie Money's "Take Me Home Tonight."

Nedra Talley now the only surviving Ronette (Estelle died in 2009).

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #23: January 14, 2022, 05:34:59 PM »
Jean-Jacques Beineix (75) - director of 'Diva' and 'Betty Blue'. :(

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #24: January 21, 2022, 07:59:53 AM »