Author Topic: 2022 NL East  (Read 4611 times)

Online Mattionals

Re: 2022 NL East
« Reply #75: July 01, 2022, 02:15:53 PM »
But that's not really what happened.  He declined the big offer, had a terrible walk year, and ended up with a 1 year contract from the Rangers.  There wasn't a big offer on the table when he actually got to FA.

I believe he said he declined the big offer from the Nats because of the Union. Didn't want to sell himself short after such good seasons.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #76: July 02, 2022, 12:12:43 PM »

I believe he said he declined the big offer from the Nats because of the Union. Didn't want to sell himself short after such good seasons.

As I remember it he didn't take the offer because he didn't want to affect other free agents by taking less money to stay in D.C. He wanted to stay and he wasn't thinking rationally. I'm sure he regrets turning down the offer big time.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #77: July 02, 2022, 02:34:41 PM »
Quote from: Senatorswin link=topic=39828.msg2254161#msg2254161date=1656778363
As I remember it he didn't take the offer because he didn't want to affect other free agents by taking less money to stay in D.C. He wanted to stay and he wasn't thinking rationally. I'm sure he regrets turning down the offer big time.
he ended up making $78 million after he left the Nats. His last year with the Nats, he made $11 Milllioin.  I assume that would have been covered by his contract offered before that season, so that's $89 million vs. the offer which I think was $107 million.  Purely from a financial perspective, he hurt himself. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78: July 25, 2022, 01:46:17 PM »
Adam Duvall out for the year with a torn tendon sheath in his wrist.

https://www.fantasyalarm.com/mlb/players/100348/adam-duvall

I've like him the past couple of off seasons as one of those minimal investment regulars we could have picked up to look like a professional baseball team.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #79: July 25, 2022, 05:43:11 PM »
Adam Duvall out for the year with a torn tendon sheath in his wrist.

https://www.fantasyalarm.com/mlb/players/100348/adam-duvall

I've like him the past couple of off seasons as one of those minimal investment regulars we could have picked up to look like a professional baseball team.

He probably won't get it again, but he's making over 9 million this year.  That's more than 2 Cesar Hernandezes, which is I think the type of guy you had in mind.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80: July 25, 2022, 08:56:34 PM »
He probably won't get it again, but he's making over 9 million this year.  That's more than 2 Cesar Hernandezes, which is I think the type of guy you had in mind.
he made $5 million last year and $9 million this year.  Even at $9 million, wouldn't have been a bad signing.  More to the point, you can fill about 4 positions with the Duvalls of the world and have a respectable team.

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #81: July 25, 2022, 09:48:19 PM »
How much longer can the Mets afford to hold back deGrom? 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #82: July 26, 2022, 03:57:05 PM »
How much longer can the Mets afford to hold back deGrom? 
As long as it takes? Cus we've seen what happend when he gets rushed back.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #83: July 26, 2022, 04:12:22 PM »
As long as it takes? Cus we've seen what happend when he gets rushed back.

Yep, the old lingering injury rest period (Crosby comes to mind) just might be a thing

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #84: July 31, 2022, 01:24:20 PM »
Good news.  DeGrom will debut against our very own Nats. 

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #85: July 31, 2022, 02:30:41 PM »
Good news.  DeGrom will debut against our very own Nats. 

Neat how the timetable worked out to be just at the very beginning of August and opening against the cellar dweller.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #86: August 01, 2022, 06:26:19 AM »
Neat how the timetable worked out to be just at the very beginning of August and opening against the cellar dweller.
Smart of the Mets to give him one more minor league rehab start

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87: August 01, 2022, 09:21:15 AM »
you beat me to it.  the advantage of a start vs the Nats is that it will be in a bigger ballpark with good lighting and there will be more mets fans there than at a minor league stadium. 

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #88: August 01, 2022, 10:12:51 AM »
you beat me to it.  the advantage of a start vs the Nats is that it will be in a bigger ballpark with good lighting and there will be more mets fans there than at a minor league stadium. 

Spot on boys!!

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #89: August 24, 2022, 09:31:38 PM »
By my count Braves are 56-22 since June 1. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #90: August 25, 2022, 07:53:36 AM »
By my count Braves are 56-22 since June 1. 
Are they doing it again?

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #91: August 25, 2022, 08:13:15 AM »
Are they doing it again?
Hope not but maybe. Every prospect seems to pan out. And every reliever they trade for works.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #92: August 25, 2022, 08:28:21 AM »
Hope not but maybe. Every prospect seems to pan out. And every reliever they trade for works.
and their Chik-Fil-A tastes better too.

The Walker Buehler injury may change things, but that's a heck of a team out there, and the Mets can always mess you up with multiple starts from Scherzer and DeGrom.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #93: August 25, 2022, 10:06:54 PM »

Doesn't matter what your farm system is ranked if every 45 FV prospect turns into an all-star and immediately signs a team friendly contract.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #94: August 26, 2022, 08:30:30 AM »
Doesn't matter what your farm system is ranked if every 45 FV prospect turns into an all-star and immediately signs a team friendly contract.

For some balance here, that's not completely true with them.  They just tend to be more aggressive weeding guys out and dumping them.  For example, Drew Waters was the MVP of the AA Southern League at age 20 and had a 55 FV.   Two years later, they dumped him and two other guys...for a draft pick.   Cristian Pache didn't exactly wow people either, nor did Touki Toussaint. 

And Harris was hardly some 45 FV fringy guy.  I saw him live in A+ and AA, and he stuck out like a sore thumb at both levels.  I think most places had him at a 55 coming into this season.  I know it's a little shocking from a Nats perspective to see organizations actually develop guys (and put whatever they do into their drinks to get them to sign those contracts), but the Braves aren't hugely unusual except as to the latter point.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #95: August 26, 2022, 08:45:05 AM »
For some balance here, that's not completely true with them.  They just tend to be more aggressive weeding guys out and dumping them.  For example, Drew Waters was the MVP of the AA Southern League at age 20 and had a 55 FV.   Two years later, they dumped him and two other guys...for a draft pick.   Cristian Pache didn't exactly wow people either, nor did Touki Toussaint. 
They're hitting on multiple prospects though. Ian Anderson, Kyle Wright, Michael Harris, Vaughn Grissom, Spencer Vaughn, Austin Riley .... they're nailing these picks.

Kyle Wright has contributed more to Atlanta this season than any Nats draft pick has in the last ten years.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #96: August 26, 2022, 10:04:11 AM »

And Harris was hardly some 45 FV fringy guy.  I saw him live in A+ and AA, and he stuck out like a sore thumb at both levels.  I think most places had him at a 55 coming into this season.  I know it's a little shocking from a Nats perspective to see organizations actually develop guys (and put whatever they do into their drinks to get them to sign those contracts), but the Braves aren't hugely unusual except as to the latter point.

I was absolutely exaggerating of course, but I'm more than a bit jealous of their post-WS compared to ours. They really seem to have built an organizational culture that will allow them to be successful for the forseeable future. Between them and the Cohen Mets this is going to be a very tough division for the next decade at a minimum.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #97: August 26, 2022, 11:16:55 AM »
They're hitting on multiple prospects though. Ian Anderson, Kyle Wright, Michael Harris, Vaughn Grissom, Spencer Vaughn, Austin Riley .... they're nailing these picks.

Kyle Wright has contributed more to Atlanta this season than any Nats draft pick has in the last ten years.

Strider, I think you meant.  Fourth round pick (in 2020!).   I was just pointing out that they don't have a 100% hit rate on top dudes either.  But they are really rolling on development with both pitchers and hitters, and they're doing a great job at pushing guys at the right time. 

More than maybe any org I see regularly (Tampa Bay might - might - be the exemption) their guys improve rapidly and almost seamlessly across A+ and AA, when other teams really struggle with pretty significant washouts at both levels.  And I think they are clued in to where their issues are: note that Grissom and Harris both skipped AAA, and that's where Waters stagnated.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #98: August 26, 2022, 11:55:21 AM »
Phillies loose Zack Wheeler for at least two starts due to forearm tightness.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #99: August 26, 2022, 12:14:39 PM »
Phillies loose Zack Wheeler for at least two starts due to forearm tightness.

Not good when the dude's already had TJ and is still owed $50 million or so.