Author Topic: The USFL returns  (Read 148 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
The USFL returns
« Topic Start: November 22, 2021, 02:58:15 PM »
The USFL returns in 2022, with all games likely to be held in Birmingham Alabama for the first season.  Unfortunately, no Washington Federals.  Fox Sports owns the league and will broadcast the games.

The teams:

North Division
Michigan Panthers
New Jersey Generals
Philadelphia Stars
Pittsburgh Maulers

South Division
Birmingham Stallions
Houston Gamblers
New Orleans Breakers
Tampa Bay Bandits

Teams will play a ten game schedule, playing in their division twice against each team, and once against teams in the other division.  Games start in April

With the XFL also relaunching, I wonder if there's enough interest to support two spring leagues.

Offline Five Banners

Re: The USFL returns
« Reply #1: November 22, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »
The USFL returns in 2022, with all games likely to be held in Birmingham Alabama for the first season.  Unfortunately, no Washington Federals.  Fox Sports owns the league and will broadcast the games.

The teams:

North Division
Michigan Panthers
New Jersey Generals
Philadelphia Stars
Pittsburgh Maulers

South Division
Birmingham Stallions
Houston Gamblers
New Orleans Breakers
Tampa Bay Bandits

Teams will play a ten game schedule, playing in their division twice against each team, and once against teams in the other division.  Games start in April

With the XFL also relaunching, I wonder if there's enough interest to support two spring leagues.

Good question. Makes sense there’s no DC team if there can be a return of the XFL one

Offline 1995hoo

Re: The USFL returns
« Reply #2: November 22, 2021, 03:18:37 PM »
If you're interested in the original USFL, the book Football for a Buck: The Crazy Rise and Crazier Demise of the USFL by Jeff Pearlman is well worth a read. Very entertaining book. Some of my favorite parts are the discussion of how dysfunctional the San Antonio Gunslingers were. Among other things, management spend loads of time debating what uniforms they needed to provide the visiting teams.