Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Evan Lee, LHP  (Read 536 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Follow the Prospects: Evan Lee, LHP
« Topic Start: November 19, 2021, 12:13:15 PM »
Name: Evan Lee
Born: Jun 18, 1997 in Bryant, AR
College: Arkansas
Ht.: 6'1" / Wt.: 200 lbs
Bats: L / Throws: L

Drafted in the 15th round of the 2018 draft by the Washington Nationals (461st overall).  Added to the 40-man roster on November 19, 2021

2021: A+ (Wilmington): 4-3, 4.32 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 20 starts, 77 IP, 3.74 BB/9, 12.16 K/9,

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/nationals/evan-lee-681885 (pre-2021 season)

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 40 | Control: 45 | Overall: 40

Lee was a two-way player during his two years at the University of Arkansas, working as an outfielder on his days in the field. The Nationals were more interested in his pitching, however, even after he posted a 5.00 ERA in 15 appearances his final spring on campus. Washington took the 6-foot-1 southpaw in the 15th round of the 2018 Draft and put him on the slow road with assignments to the Gulf Coast League and Class A Short Season Auburn in his first two professional seasons. He pitched primarily out of the bullpen in the New York-Penn League, but after a strong instructional league, the Nationals hope to move him to a rotation full time in 2021.

The 6-foot-1 southpaw’s heater sits 92-94 mph in longer outings but was touching 95-96 at instructs. The fastball draws solid reviews for its high spin rate, and Washington was pleased with his ability to throw it with life up in the zone. The curveball looks like the pitch most likely to be plus with the way it can get swings-and-misses coming off the high fastball. Lee has worked on a cutter to give the fastball a different look, and his changeup is mostly just a show pitch right now.

Lee entered pro ball plenty raw for a college arm, allowing the Nationals to shape him in his professional development. It’s worth trying him as a starter when he moves to a full-season club for the first time in 2021, but the fastball and curve are good enough that he should move quickly if and when he slides back to relief, his likely destination in the Majors.

Online imref

Re: Follow the Prospects: Evan Lee, LHP
« Reply #1: May 08, 2022, 11:50:23 PM »
Nice start at Harrisburg: 5GS, 19.1 IP,  1.86 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 22Ks, 12BBs

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: May 09, 2022, 08:59:01 AM »
Nice start at Harrisburg: 5GS, 19.1 IP,  1.86 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, 22Ks, 12BBs
I don't get excited over a guy until his BB/9 is < 3.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #3: May 09, 2022, 10:53:05 AM »

Yes, but it's not as much of an issue for a reliever, and basically everything about this dude's profile screams reliever.

Offline blue911

« Reply #4: May 09, 2022, 11:25:22 AM »

I don’t see much meaning in BB% a as a stand alone stat. You want to develop the lesser pitches, which will naturally lead to stat lines that don’t reflect true talent. Jason Parks insists that the best stand alone stat in the minors is K%.

Online imref

« Reply #5: May 09, 2022, 12:39:01 PM »
Last start: 5 IP, 2H, 2BB, 8Ks, 1ER

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6: May 09, 2022, 02:22:19 PM »
Yes, but it's not as much of an issue for a reliever, and basically everything about this dude's profile screams reliever.
I don’t see much meaning in BB% a as a stand alone stat. You want to develop the lesser pitches, which will naturally lead to stat lines that don’t reflect true talent. Jason Parks insists that the best stand alone stat in the minors is K%.
you both are right. K% is much more meaningful, Lee is going to be a reliever, certainly you can have success as a reliever with an uncomfortable walk rate. I get that in the minors you are also working on stuff often. K/9 over 1 is critical, and Lee has that.  K/9 > 1, WHIP < 1. then I'm happy.

I just have a little of SSB in me and the old "walks kill" attitude.  Maybe Rainey's and Finnegan's biggest weakness.  I cringed when Rainey walked Rengifo before the top of the order, as if it were the start of one of those interstate pileups in the blinding snow, when everyone is going slow but they collide one after the other after the other.  Lee is promising, but a high K rate and a low BB rate would make me more excited. 2:1, better 3:1. 

Online imref

« Reply #7: June 01, 2022, 01:41:16 PM »
in the bigs. Nice development story.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8: February 28, 2023, 12:08:25 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/02/28/evan-lee-jackson-tetreault-nationals-spring-training/

Entering this spring training, the Nationals removed Lee and Tetreault from the 40-man roster to make room for other prospects.

“I mean it’s a business. I get it,” said Lee, 25. “I ended the year hurt. You can’t do a whole lot when you’re hurt and the club has to win ballgames and you have to clear spots for guys that will help the club win. I have every opportunity in this camp to make the club and to do what I’m supposed to do and to get back on the 40-man roster.”
Neither Lee nor Tetreault seems deterred. Lee might have an easier road after the Nationals decided this offseason to move him away from being a starter. Now, they envision him in a multi-inning reliever role, similar to the position he filled after his first start last season.

Article also discusses Tetrault. HE and Lee rehabbed in West Palm last year with Kieboom.

Online imref

« Reply #9: June 13, 2023, 04:23:53 PM »
TalkNats notes that Lee has 1.42 ERA in his last 6 appearances, including 1.2 scoreless today. He's working himself back into discussion for a call-up, especially if we deal anyone.