Author Topic: Team Building Methodology  (Read 201 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Team Building Methodology
« Topic Start: November 17, 2021, 11:36:02 AM »
The first 4 contracts are the mlb trade rumor estimates and the bottom 3 are my estimates.  That would be a solid 6 spots in the lineup filled (presuming to Rosario only bats against righties in place of canha or mccutchen) for $54 million a year.  That would be the basis for a playoff team if you have just a couple cheap, good players already on your roster (like a Soto, Thomas, and bell for example).

Canha 2/24
Rosario 2/15
Villar 2/14
Gomes 2/10

Harrison 3/15
Andrelton Simmons 2/18
Andrew mccutchen 1/8M

There are guys like this available every offseason.  Just food for thought

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Team Building Methodology
« Reply #1: November 17, 2021, 01:04:55 PM »
I think you are high on Harrison.

Philosophically, I do think it is feasible to potentially contend every year with a core and short- term pickups.  It's not quite the Rays way, but you can look at a number of teams that have had deep runs that were structured this way.  I think the 2019 Nats were an example, where you had the core (Rendon / Turner /Soto, plus Stras and Max), one expensive add on in Corbin (a signing for the next core a year early), and then just a bunch of marginal guys and prospects.  I think SF and Boston went with similar strategies this year, and ATL had to move to this approach when the outfield went down.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #2: November 17, 2021, 01:38:45 PM »
I think you are high on Harrison.

Philosophically, I do think it is feasible to potentially contend every year with a core and short- term pickups.  It's not quite the Rays way, but you can look at a number of teams that have had deep runs that were structured this way.  I think the 2019 Nats were an example, where you had the core (Rendon / Turner /Soto, plus Stras and Max), one expensive add on in Corbin (a signing for the next core a year early), and then just a bunch of marginal guys and prospects.  I think SF and Boston went with similar strategies this year, and ATL had to move to this approach when the outfield went down.

If that’s high on Harrison, then the affordability of this strategy is only made more so.  It’s basically moneyball but not necessarily cheap, just efficient.  More smaller contracts are better as it diversifies risk due to underperformance and injuries plus the contracts are more movable if the roster requires a new piece or has a new young guy debut

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #3: November 17, 2021, 01:57:10 PM »
I think that doesnt make us a .500 team so I have to ask why we're signing guys to starter money and two and three year deals, when we have multiple young guys who need reps at the MLB level

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: November 17, 2021, 05:33:22 PM »
I think that doesnt make us a .500 team so I have to ask why we're signing guys to starter money and two and three year deals, when we have multiple young guys who need reps at the MLB level
OK, so Gomes would only take time from Ruiz / Adams / Barrera, so no there.  Garcia I think has earned an everyday commitment, but this team does not have a lot of other guys who are must play everyday prospect / post-prospect.  You can still say trot Kieboom and Robles out there everyday until there's no hint of pulse, but that still leaves LF and SS as pretty vacant for prospects not to be blocked, at least until mid-year.  Thomas is nice, but are you projecting him as more than an short term starter / 4th OF?  Yadi has a bat, maybe.  Did not show much power with it.  DH / part time OF.  Old.  Really, would a 2 year commitment to a LF block anything?  I'd love a Harrison as a backup to whichever 3B/2B falls flat on his butt, and that mix still leaves us needing a SS.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #5: November 17, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »
So Rizzo goes into his office, sits down at his desk and unfolds a chart of MLB players. He then applies blindfold, picks up pin.... ;)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #6: November 17, 2021, 05:41:27 PM »
This strategy isn’t particularly meant for the nats this year (I agree, no need for us to sign Gomes).  Rather, it’s to show how this could be viable team-building strategy. 

I also disagree, I think this would make us a .500 team.  Those bats wild bench Robles and kieboom.  Also Corbin cannot possibly be worse.  Even if he is hurt he’s be better than last year by merit of not giving up runs left and right

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #7: November 17, 2021, 07:05:27 PM »
OK, so Gomes would only take time from Ruiz / Adams / Barrera, so no there.  Garcia I think has earned an everyday commitment, but this team does not have a lot of other guys who are must play everyday prospect / post-prospect.  You can still say trot Kieboom and Robles out there everyday until there's no hint of pulse, but that still leaves LF and SS as pretty vacant for prospects not to be blocked, at least until mid-year.  Thomas is nice, but are you projecting him as more than an short term starter / 4th OF?  Yadi has a bat, maybe.  Did not show much power with it.  DH / part time OF.  Old.  Really, would a 2 year commitment to a LF block anything?  I'd love a Harrison as a backup to whichever 3B/2B falls flat on his butt, and that mix still leaves us needing a SS.
You can play Thomas and Hernandez in LF and DH. So maybe you want a shortstop.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #8: November 17, 2021, 07:56:47 PM »
So Rizzo goes into his office, sits down at his desk and unfolds a chart of MLB players. He then applies blindfold, picks up pin.... ;)
Oh no. Much more scientific.  He has a ouija board.