Author Topic: So long F.P. - Who's next?  (Read 3224 times)

Offline rileyn

Re: So long F.P. - Who's next?
« Reply #25: November 04, 2021, 10:58:20 AM »
I mean, is Washington, DC a major media/sports market, or not? Judging by the overall quality of "sports radio" (to include team announcers/commentators) in the area, my answer would be "no." Even Bmore (a decidedly lesser media market) has had top guys like Jon Miller, Gary Thorne, etc).
Agree on sports radio being weak in this market, and the Wizards TV crew is bottom tier, but Joe B and Locker are the best on Caps games.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #26: November 04, 2021, 11:04:37 AM »
The sticky stuff killed the sport for me this year. Not necessarily that they were DOING it, but how Manfred initially handed it by letting it continue. This was on top of the Astros getting off Scott free and continuing to go on runs. These owners learned nothing from the steroid era and I’m sick of it. Now starting pitchers are getting pulled after 70 pitches because of spreadsheets.

If I could watch the games without a VPN it would help. I go to a few games and have a blast. MLB does anything it can to ruin the sport.

I shut it all down this summer and watched college. MLB is simply not a good product compared to other baseball leagues.

I love going to games, it's the following day in and day out and trying to find a stream that I've given up on

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #27: November 04, 2021, 11:05:56 AM »
Agree on sports radio being weak in this market, and the Wizards TV crew is bottom tier, but Joe B and Locker are the best on Caps games.

I think sports radio is weak because of podcasting and more people who live here either following out of market teams or wanting commentary that isn't just ex players spouting platitudes

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #28: November 04, 2021, 12:28:56 PM »
Maybe the team could move to Montreal for a few years.  Then fans would appreciate more when they come back.

Yep, we went a long time without baseball. Having your own team to root for sure beats looking for articles every day about teams thinking of moving hoping they would come to D.C.

Offline Senatorswin

« Reply #29: November 04, 2021, 12:31:58 PM »
People might think I'm crazy but the color commentator I've enjoyed the most over the years is when Brooks Robinson did it years ago with the Orioles. I thought he criticized when it was warranted and had a laid back style that made it fun.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #30: November 04, 2021, 01:27:13 PM »
People might think I'm crazy but the color commentator I've enjoyed the most over the years is when Brooks Robinson did it years ago with the Orioles. I thought he criticized when it was warranted and had a laid back style that made it fun.

so, maybe Zim is the guy…?

Offline machpost

« Reply #31: November 04, 2021, 01:54:19 PM »
MLB does anything it can to ruin the sport.
Just wait until the very likely work stoppage (lockout or strike, take your pick) that's set to take place in about a month. If we have another 1994, fans are going to stay away in droves.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #32: November 04, 2021, 01:59:59 PM »
I legit learned things about baseball from FP Santangelo. He can be a very good color man when he wants to be, and is good about using his experiences as an MLB player to help fans understand why a particular thing happened and explain to the hypothetical kids watching how to field a ground ball, etc. But the last 5-6 years he has instead preferred to give us his personal opinion on MLB rules changes and culture. And obviously his out-of-the-booth issues alone were probably enough to justify going in a new direction.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #33: November 04, 2021, 03:15:22 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/11/04/fp-santangelo-replacement-masn-nationals/

Jerry Blevins is on the list. Apparently he's been very good as a Mets podcaster

Others: Desmond, Maxwell, Dozier, Doolittle, Jessica Mendoza, Brian Schneider, Denard Span, Werth, Morse, Gio, and Zimmerman

How about bringing back Bo Porter?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #34: November 04, 2021, 03:50:29 PM »
of that list, only Dozier and maybe Gio speak Spanish.  Given some of the younger guys who are uneasy in English, that actually would be an advantage. Dozier also speaks beer, which is another advantage.  Just has to keep his shirt on.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #35: November 04, 2021, 03:57:43 PM »
imref has me on ignore

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #36: November 04, 2021, 04:11:55 PM »
It’s tough to know who would be good until you hear them talk for hours.   I would have thought Morse would be good at it until he actually did it. It’s a tough skill. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #37: November 04, 2021, 04:27:57 PM »
Reading a baseball dictionary out loud to an african grey parrot for the next 4 months might work.

Online imref

« Reply #38: November 04, 2021, 05:13:41 PM »
imref has me on ignore

Anyone see or hear from DPM lately?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #39: November 04, 2021, 05:54:56 PM »
Bo Porter is a great call, would like that very much.

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #40: November 04, 2021, 06:50:10 PM »
I did like FP's one about the heckler fan who shouted 'hey Santangelo - you're so short I bet you can see your feet on your drivers licence photo...' :hysterical:

Having being able to watch one or two of their games, this season gone, dare I say I rather like the White Sox booth crew...

Offline sixthree175

• Born in 1961
« Reply #41: November 05, 2021, 12:36:07 AM »

If I could watch the games without a VPN it would help. I go to a few games and have a blast. MLB does anything it can to ruin the sport.
I just "cut the cord" last month and plan on trying a VPN connection next season.  Does it work?  What's the downside?

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #42: November 05, 2021, 05:44:41 AM »
Does it work?  What's the downside?

https://techjury.net/blog/benefits-of-vpn/

Not sure I would class geo-spoofing as a 'positive' - it may be a grey-area, in some juristictions, but it is (effectively) a mild form of piracy if the service is FTA, or you're accessing an alternative form of your already paid-for account. Anything other than that is out-and-out piracy - which is just a polite word for theft.

You are also placing a great deal of trust in your VPN provider - even those who claim 'no-logging'. Assume records are being kept. Here, in the UK, we are protected by data laws (EU - GDPR equivalent) which allow more control over data. Would I rather hand over my online data to a juristriction with no such regulations? I use Firefox, but it is because of data protection that I disable Mozilla's DoH function - it would move my browsing record from my UK ISP (GDPR regulation) to Cloudflare (much lighter US regulation). The most obvious example of regulatory difference is cookies and use of data - visiting a site from the US you will just go straight on; here we  have to be offered options as to what level of tracking, and so on, an individual will accept - from 'accept all' to 'reject all' (my choice every time).

I'm sure those who sail the high-seas, under the Jolly Roger, will call me a party-pooper - but, in today's online world, we should all take the care and control of our personal data seriously.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #43: November 05, 2021, 11:11:05 AM »
Just wait until the very likely work stoppage (lockout or strike, take your pick) that's set to take place in about a month. If we have another 1994, fans are going to stay away in droves.

Book it. Attendance crashed following the events of 1994 and did not recover to 1993 levels until 2006 (measured on a per-team average basis; gross total attendance recovered by 1998 thanks only to new expansion clubs in Arizona and Tampa Bay). Baseball enters this off-season in a much weaker position attendance-wise than in 1994, and a marathon industrial action on the scale of 1994 (or the NHL's season-killing lock-out of 2004-05) would do much deeper and more lasting damage.

Online imref

« Reply #44: November 05, 2021, 11:15:01 AM »
Book it. Attendance crashed following the events of 1994 and did not recover to 1993 levels until 2006 (measured on a per-team average basis; gross total attendance recovered by 1998 thanks only to new expansion clubs in Arizona and Tampa Bay). Baseball enters this off-season in a much weaker position attendance-wise than in 1994, and a marathon industrial action on the scale of 1994 (or the NHL's season-killing lock-out of 2004-05) would do much deeper and more lasting damage.

this year's World Series was the second lowest rated in the Nielsen era, beating out only last year's WS.  Not a good trend line.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #45: November 05, 2021, 11:19:02 AM »
What about Alex Avila? I don’t know a ton about him but he seems well-spoken in the few interviews I’ve seen and he wants to stay in baseball.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #46: November 05, 2021, 11:21:31 AM »
this year's World Series was the second lowest rated in the Nielsen era, beating out only last year's WS.  Not a good trend line.

I’m sure there are many reasons behind this but the Astros being there three out of the past five years combined with their cheating scandal probably didn’t help.

Online imref

« Reply #47: November 05, 2021, 11:37:12 AM »
I’m sure there are many reasons behind this but the Astros being there three out of the past five years combined with their cheating scandal probably didn’t help.

i'd attribute it as well to the slowness of the games, and the late start on the east coast.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #48: November 05, 2021, 12:09:17 PM »
i'd attribute it as well to the slowness of the games, and the late start on the east coast.
The Braves are not a big draw either.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #49: November 05, 2021, 01:02:32 PM »
If they split up the radio team I'm gonna be pissed. I'm going mostly-radio next year. Get crap done instead of parking in front of the TV.