Poll

So where does everybody think Max will end up?

Nats
3 (13%)
Dodgers
4 (17.4%)
Cardinals
2 (8.7%)
Padres
2 (8.7%)
Other
12 (52.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Scherzer's next destination  (Read 3426 times)

Offline rileyn

Scherzer's next destination
« Topic Start: October 24, 2021, 08:05:07 AM »
He better not land anywhere in the NL East.

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Scherzer's next destination
« Reply #1: October 24, 2021, 08:59:29 AM »
I vote other. I think he’s too old for another huge deal, but I could see some teams still doing it.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: October 24, 2021, 09:07:11 AM »
Phillies

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: October 24, 2021, 10:09:05 AM »
Phillies
They don’t have the money.  It’s clear they don’t want to pay the luxury tax despite the talk about crazy money. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #4: October 24, 2021, 10:42:38 AM »
Another "other" team might be Houston.  They have both Greinke and Verlander off the books. They aren't afraid of age, and should have some money.  Arte Moreno can't be counted out either.  They have 2 or so rotation slots, but they may try to fill one by re-signing Cobb. If they cannot re-sign Ray, then Toronto is in the mix. 

Basically, any contender with a short term gap in the rotation and any team with a hole in the pitching, money, and a desire to make a show the next couple of years is in the running.

Online Slateman

« Reply #5: October 24, 2021, 10:58:45 AM »
They don’t have the money.  It’s clear they don’t want to pay the luxury tax despite the talk about crazy money. 
Lol, thats what they said last year and magically Realmuto ended up with 115 million

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #6: October 24, 2021, 11:04:04 AM »
Lol, thats what they said last year and magically Realmuto ended up with 115 million
They have several lineup holes to fill.  LF. CF. 3B. SS. Their starting pitching is not in bad shape.

https://thelibertyline.com/2021/10/22/phillies-payroll-2022-season/

This article does not factor in increases they will have to pay for guys like Hoskins.

Edit. Like the Nats they also need a bullpen. $40 million goes quickly. If they pay Max $35 million they have no money to fill their other holes. Not going to happen.

Offline hohoho

« Reply #7: October 24, 2021, 01:00:11 PM »
Nats.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #9: October 24, 2021, 02:37:44 PM »
- Come home, Max!

- Mark Lerner, it's just money. The Nats have money but not enough players. Bring Max home.

Online Slateman

« Reply #10: October 24, 2021, 02:53:49 PM »
They have several lineup holes to fill.  LF. CF. 3B. SS. Their starting pitching is not in bad shape.

https://thelibertyline.com/2021/10/22/phillies-payroll-2022-season/

This article does not factor in increases they will have to pay for guys like Hoskins.

Edit. Like the Nats they also need a bullpen. $40 million goes quickly. If they pay Max $35 million they have no money to fill their other holes. Not going to happen.

Offline Natsinpwc

Offline English Natsie

• It's baseball, Jim, but not as we know it...
« Reply #12: October 25, 2021, 03:08:39 PM »
Would he consider a last 'thank-you-and-goodnight' with Detroit?  :lol:

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #13: October 30, 2021, 08:39:27 PM »
The Tigers are actually in just the right phase of the rebuild cycle to sign Scherzer. Not an insane idea, like Scherzer to the Nats would be.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #14: October 30, 2021, 09:44:58 PM »
The Tigers are actually in just the right phase of the rebuild cycle to sign Scherzer. Not an insane idea, like Scherzer to the Nats would be.

He could have some wonderful conversations with AJ Hinch

Offline slhubic

« Reply #15: November 01, 2021, 10:04:22 PM »
blue jays...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16: November 02, 2021, 11:34:05 AM »
If they cannot re-sign Ray, then Toronto is in the mix. 

Basically, any contender with a short term gap in the rotation and any team with a hole in the pitching, money, and a desire to make a show the next couple of years is in the running.
blue jays...
agreed, but I think they would only go big for one guy, and I think Ray would be first choice.  If Max took a year to year, then it makes sense to maybe go for Ray and Max while the rest of the lineup is cheap, then have Max roll off the payroll as Bichette / Biggio / Vladito et al get expensive.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #17: November 02, 2021, 12:28:27 PM »
Yankees.  Or Red SAWX.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #18: November 02, 2021, 01:04:50 PM »
I think he stays on one of the California teams.

Offline machpost

« Reply #19: November 02, 2021, 01:19:15 PM »
Someone will overpay for him, and I don't think it'll be the Nats. Whoever he signs with, they won't be getting the Max we were so fortunate to watch for all those years. Time is catching up with him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: November 02, 2021, 02:44:18 PM »
I think he stays on one of the California teams.
Now that you mention it, he did say he wanted a West Coast contender at the deadline, so Toronto / BOS / NYY probably are long shots.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: November 02, 2021, 03:05:13 PM »
I think some of that, too, was because one of the teams that wanted him was a division rival. I don’t think he wanted to have to face the Nats this year. Could be wrong about that, but was the impression I got.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #22: November 02, 2021, 04:19:08 PM »
Throwing out a dark horse-what about Tampa? He lives in FL now, wouldn't have to deal with the elements in that God awful dome, he's already made a fortune so perhaps won't be looking for the highest bidder and the Rays are always contenders so they might be a possibility?

Online Slateman

« Reply #23: November 02, 2021, 05:05:39 PM »
Now that you mention it, he did say he wanted a West Coast contender at the deadline, so Toronto / BOS / NYY probably are long shots.
Those three teams with Max becone contenders.

Throwing out a dark horse-what about Tampa? He lives in FL now, wouldn't have to deal with the elements in that God awful dome, he's already made a fortune so perhaps won't be looking for the highest bidder and the Rays are always contenders so they might be a possibility?
Rays simply won't pony up the money. They havent had a payroll out of the bottom 5 .... ever?

Max is a big union guy. He'll want to get a salary commiserate with his performance. That salary would basically increase the Rays' annual payroll by 40-65%.

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #24: November 02, 2021, 05:12:24 PM »
Isn't Tampa playing half their season in Montreal?   That doesn't sound ideal for an old guy who can go wherever he wants.